1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 5 Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Does anyone not admit this is a rebuilding year? It hurts…. It hurts a lot.

This game had the ugliest ½ of football the Chargers had played in a long while. The Chargers Defense is simply not good. Injuries doesn’t tell the whole story, is it scheme? Players? Karma? The Gatorade flavor? Who knows, but in the first half there were no Pro’s, I would even say there were no College players in Bolts either… At the end of the first half both teams QBs were 13 of 18. But Rivers had 1 INT, while Pryor had 2 TDs… Chargers let a lot of opportunities go by, where the Raiders seemed to take advantage of most of them (see Woodson fumble recovery for 6)… Chargers rallied in the 4th to make a game of it. Playing for pride, or for hate of the Raiders?

Pros:

Patrick – You got the timely sack to keep the Raiders from scoring on the opening drive of the second half. I will give you a pro for this, simply because I want to give someone a pro tonight.

Green – Heads up play in the second half to keep a drive going after a blocked punt. Could have had a TD or drawn a PI if the pass was in the field of play, but shoulda woulda coulda…..

V. Brown – You are getting better each week. You got open against Woodson in the third to give the O a spark!

Allen – Showed up again and had a real good punt return in the 4th…TD in the 4th on the drive you had the return on. Well done young man.

On the fence:

Woodhead - You are a hard working Jack of all trades. But that fumble was a hard thing to see… You got a TD to start the 4th, and that is why you are not in with the Cons.

Cons:

Royal – OMG! ROYAL! You are my boi! How do you fumble that punt?! Glaring at you right now… Grrrr…

Marshall – Kid, I know you have a tough job, but don’t slip in the end zone then complain to the Refs that the WR swatted at you with power enough to maybe stun a house fly! You started the second half with a blatant pass interference, and you failed to stop the completion even when cheating… SMH.

Pagano – Man I want you to be the man, but to tell the truth I hate watching our impudent D, and I have to put some of that blame on you… The D is simply embarrassing… I will say, 2nd half D was improved. But we need some consistency here. You are looking at the top of the fence though, but not quite there.

Rivers – DUDE! PLAY CLOCK! Intercepted to end the game. You had a good second half, but a flat first.

Running Game – Predictable and near non-existent. Yes I know we do not have a good run blocking OL, but perhaps we might want to do something other than run when everyone watching KNOWS we are going to run.

So who is your picks?
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Pros

DJ Fluker: First person in all the years I've been watching football to get penalized specifically for a bodyslam. You are so da man.
    Keenan Allen: Much like Vincent Brown he had his coming out game vs the Raiders
    Vincent Brown: A ton of catches, nice to see him being used
    Ladarius Green: For one amazing play
    Sean Lissimore: Looked real good in limited play
    Manti Te'o: I'm seeing more and more positives from this kid

Cons

Whoever gameplanned for the first half: Pathetic on so many levels
    Philip Rivers: first bad game this season and his INTs were by and large his fault. Threw a punt the first time, was late and stared down covered receiver on the second and just gave up on the third.
    The Chargers running game: From LT to this in four years
    Ken Wisenhunt: For being so insanely predictable for the first half and for pretending that Danny Woodhead is a feature back. You idiot
    John Pagano: Leave his *** in Oakland. Why the hell was it so damned important we kept him around?
    The Secondary as a WHOLE: You make every QB look like Joe Montana and every receiver look like Jerry Rice. Completely pathetic
    Mike McCoy: The first half is all on you buddy
    Cam Thomas: He's a backup. Sign Antonio Garay again!
  3. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Pros: We don't suck as much as Jacksonville and the Giants....
    Cons: We suck
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    Pros to Fluker! What a great slam. so what if it was not legal!

Cons...The defense in the first half was horrible...in the second half they caved when they needed a stand.
    The offense was horrible in the first half and not good enough in the second half.
    Special teams...what the F Royal...catch the freaking ball. Oh a blocked field goal for a first down...I guess that is contributing:(:poop:
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    As recently as a week ago, there was a huge slam call against the Texans' Kareem Jackson...
    may've given the game to the Seahawks.

And I can remember a few others...but I'm not sure if any were against offensive players...
  6. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    Pro: Flukker for the beat down, Allen and Brown.
    D
    Con: Rivers- looked like dog crap both early and late... and because Mathews got hurt after one play it was going to be all on Philip. The other con was the entire f-ing defense and that means you too Pagano! We couldn't stop anything tonight. It seemed like that INT to open the game shook up the team real bad and even though McCoy adjusted at the half it was too little too late. Got to admit he makes better halftime adjustments than Norv ever did.

PERSONAL RANT::::

Tossing the towel in on Ryan Mathews. What a major disappointment in every way. This week it's a concussion. What a fragile china doll. Hey I feel sorry for the kid... But maybe he's more suited for tiddlywinks or chess than NFL Football. This guy just can't stay healthy and can't be counted on. Without a real RB- one that stays healthy and actually is able to play football- we have to use guys like wood head and brown to carry the load and... Well that means no running game. What will it be next... Hangnail, another broken collarbone? I'm being tough on him and ragging on his azz but seriously, all that ability doesn't mean shet if you are always sitting on the bench hurt. We need to move on from mr injury prone and get a DURABLE RB In the draft.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Rolondo McClain was another I remember body slamming someone, must be an Alabama thing;)

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Anyone else think OLB Khalil Mack would look good in a Chargers jersey?

[​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    Pros: The 2 young wideouts. I've been on Vincent Browns case but he is coming back, and Keenan Allen, wow, love everything I see from this 21 yr old!
    I like Troutman, he looks like a strong LG.
    Ladarius Green on the FG block but why don't we see more of him on O, maybe even to give Allen or Brown a breather.

Cons: The cornerbacks, again. Cox has been v poor, that giving up the 3rd and 14 is almost the final straw for him,so much for marqueeish FA. Marshall has not been much better. Patrick had a v timely sack but do u get the feeling our corners are never gonna get an INT?, I get that feeling. Simply horrific.
    The running game looked v Norvlike to me = FUgly.
    Coaching staff did not cover themselves in glory, the delay of game after the Keenan Allen TD review = inexcusable, but hey (as McCoy often says) chalk that one down to experience.......................maybe....................maybe not.
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    Pros: they finally got the game started.

Cons: they finished it.
  11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 2 / -1
    Personnel
    Cons: O-line, D-line, secondary
    Pros: Most everything else
    Sadly, the O-line, D-line, secondary are a huge and important part of the roster. We're only eight or 10 players away from having a good, solid team.
    Game
    Cons: Started slow, choked away a game we were favored to win
    Pros: Even though we played like a Norv Turner-coached team, he's not actually the coach.
    We need a young priest, an old priest, and a bottle of holy water to exorcize Norv's ghost.
  12. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 4 / -0
    Pros ~ LOL (NONE)
    Con ~ Thanks for allowing this game to END!