1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 7 Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Chargers went to Jacksonville looking for their first win streak of the season. I know a lot of people were worried about the Chargers playing down to the competition (again), and I would be a bit hypocritical if I said it didn't wander around my cranium once or twice…. Ok a few dozen times…

The team played well and I don’t degrade it at all by saying it is because they played the 0-7 Jaguars. The O kept finding ways to get first downs, the run game continued to dominate the clock. The D continues to improve, all in all a good game emotionally heading into the bye week, but a worrisome one because of key injuries. This had all the ear marks of a trap game, but the Chargers did not come in flat. The offense played at a high level again and the D continues to improve.

Pros:

Philip Rivers: 22 of 26 for 285 yards and 1 TDs. Another game with no interceptions. This man needs to be included in the MVP talk for the league. Perhaps Manning is flashier and the Media’s golden boy, but Rivers is far more responsible for the Chargers success and continuity than Manning is for Denver, in my honest opinion.

Ryan Mathews: 21 carries for 110 yards and a TD! A lot of Chargers fans love to hate him. But you have to admit, he has been consistent and effective so far this season. He had his second century game in a row and tacked on a TD. You have to give credit where it is due and this young man is due it, so do it!

Eddie Royal: Welcome back. 4 receptions for 69 yards and a touchdown. You played to the whistle and were a big weapon today!

Thomas Keiser: Deflected pass, and two sacks! WHO IS KEISER SOSEY!? You need some more playing time!

Bye: Our men need a rest!

Marcus Gilchrist: 3 solo tackles and an interception with a 26 yard return. We need more of this from all the D!

Ok you’re not going to believe this one….

LARRY FRIGGIN ENGLISH! Oh yeah, 4 solo tackles, 1 assist and a sack to lead the D for most of the game. The best game of his career…

Honorable Mention:

Manti Te’o, Andrew Gachkar, Eric Weddle, Keenan Allen, Antonio Gates, Danny Woodhead

Cons:

Injuries: This was a worrisome game, the Chargers with losing 2 Offensive linemen had every excuse for a falter game. They didn’t crumble.

Rich Ohrnberger: Personal foul penalty and another penalty. You need to keep your head about you especially late in the game.

Kick off / Punt Return & Coverage: This portion of the game needs a lot of work and butt kicking in the bye week…

So, who are your picks?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Pros-

O-line gets an A+ considering the almost unfair circumstances.
    Ryan Mathews is healthy and not fumbling.
    Danny Woodhead is CLUTCH.
    The defense played well, better than we had any reason to expect.
    Philip Rivers continues to not turn the ball over even behind a patchwork O-line.
    Keiser got picked on early, then turned it on at huge drive stalling moments.

Cons -

The offense continues to leave points on the field even against the worst of defenses. We get too cute when we get in close, we need to pound the rock with RM or McClain. It didn't bite us today or last week, but it will eventually.

Another minor concern is that we are excellent at killing clock in the first 3 quarters, and completely hopeless at it in the 4th when we don't even attempt to pass the ball. I understand staying conservative but let's not go MartyBall here.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 1 / -1
    Pros: Rivers was sharp
    Keiser was on a roll
    Mathews may have turned a corner, ran hard and protected the ball.

Cons: when you get that many shots at the end zone (end of the first half) you have to get 6!
    Secondary misses too many opportunities to take the ball away.
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,374 / 36 / -16
    You ought t' be ashamed...
    Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 3.42.39 PM.png
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 1 / -1

Too tasty to resist!
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    That's what they call a "bun pun".
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Pros
    - Rivers playing as well as he ever has
    - Matthews, another solid game - he may never be Emmitt Smith, but he's contributing
    - OLine - getting it down with guts and coaching
    - English - where have YOU been?

Cons
    - That QB draw to end the first half was vintage Norv - pound that ball in!
    - Still a lot of missed tackles - the Jags lack the talent to make the Bolts pay for them, but good teams will
    - Injuries to the OLine
  8. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Pros:
    -We win!

Cons:
    -The fact that we were one injury away from putting Kwame Geathers in at Guard. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    Defense did what they do.

But, coach, JUST GET THE POINTS. Rivers is not the most fleet of foot QB.

And Novack...please stop trying to tackle people mmmmmmmkay? You're only going to hurt yourself. We need you to kick bomb like FG's.
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Sumbitch, I missed a good one!!!!!!!!!
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Pros: The Chargers
    Cons: The refs calling stupid **** for the Chiefs
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Pros

Philip Rivers - Continues to deal
    DJ Fluker - it's not easy to go from RT to LT and he did a fantastic job when most people thought he never oculd handle it.
    Thomas Keiser - Hail Keiser! Great depth player who could develop into a good change of pace player
    Ryan Mathews - two 100yd games in a row and a TD today, he'll never be a real game breaker but he'll give the team SOMETHING this year
    Danny Woodhead - yeah he's one of the best pick ups Telesco made
    Corey Liuget - he's finally coming alive
    Marcus Gilchrist - he's a CB, don't forget it

Cons

Red Zone Offense - That's pretty pathetic AGAIN and now I'm concerned
    Tackling - Could.you.please.please.tackle.correctly???
    Security Guards that kept getting run into - As if the team wasn't bad enough, there's a few workers comp claims forthcoming
    King Dunlap - he's playing fantastic and he can't stay healthy. Feel horrible for the guy
  13. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Pros: Keenan Allen sliding catch and popping up and gaining more yards (even though it looked like he was down by contact)
    O-line and o-line coaches. Having the players switch positions is not supposed to go that seamlessly.
    Defensive pressure. Six sacks?!?!?! Finally.
    No TDs for 11 quarters. Way to go defense!

Cons: Mike McCoy. First, put more o-line on the roster. We were one twisted ankle from having to use Kwame Geathers as a blocker. Second, get the points at the end of the first half. Third, know the rules of the game and DO NOT throw a challenge on scoring plays and/or turnovers. Your QB knows this, why don't you?
    Mike Brown goes off for 120 receiving yards. The secondary will be the death of this team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Also,
    Big Con to the entire broadcast.
    The announcers were Gawd-Awful, constantly saying the wrong names, mispronouncing "Manti Te'o," mixing up who was on offense and who was on defense. They were terrible.
    And the graphics people working the game were just as horrible. The graphics would say the wrong down and distance, or not even say it at all!
    The replays would cut into live plays.
    It was dreadful.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Pros: What Joe D and the O linemen left standing are doing. Amazing. But who makes the decision to sit Becton and Schilling and bring in Remmers who lasts, what. 2 plays?, only for Fluker and Clary (whatever we all say about him the guy is a tough dude willing to put his body on the line wherever) we woulda been playing Kwame at G. Having said all that Ohrnberger did some stupid stuff, against better teams that sh1t will cost us. Loving how Troutman is playing, he and Fluker on the left side are mammoth.
    The O apart from in the redzone. I thought it interesting how ballistic they all went when #24 got in. Maybe that's a hint to the coaches to have him in there to run it in when were are 1st and goal. Seeing Rivers trying to run it in made me puke.
    Liking what I see from Addae, probably can't pass cover to save his life but he seeks the ball carrier and destroys, love it.
    Some of the backups are working v hard eg. Keiser and Tourek.
    Shareece Wright is a massive improvement as starting corner.

Cons: Cox is still not playing to the level we should expect. Surprised the likes of Patrick or even Gilly when Taylor gets back are not pushing him more for the start.
    King Dunlap and his concussions, poor guy. I wonder are 2 weeks enough for him to get 100% clear of that issue, any doctors on here?
    The zebras, jeez they were pure shite and hating on Jax, felt for Bradley at times.
    Mike McCoy getting an education, hope he only ever has to see/experience something once to know what and what NOT to do.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Pros:
    O-line (they made the most out of what they had, and it worked)
    PR!!!
    Woodhead!!
    Woodhead!! (listed twice because I like him a lot)
    RM!
    Gates!
    Ladarius
    WRs
    Hardwick!
    24 pts scored
    6 pts allowed
    Defensive front 7
    last defensive stand for pride!

Cons:
    River's boneheaded "sprint" toward the end zone at end of first half (not a designed play)
    McCoy's challenge
    Tackling in general
    Some coverage gaffes
    Ohrnberger's penalties
    And to quote Matilack: "Another minor concern is that we are excellent at killing clock in the first 3 quarters, and completely hopeless at it in the 4th when we don't even attempt to pass the ball. I understand staying conservative but let's not go MartyBall here."
  17. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    My biggest pro of this game - and really, three of the last four games - are that the Chargers are the kind of team that used to give the old (read: Air Marty/Norv) Chargers fits. They actually remind me quite a bit of the Steelers, which isn't surprising considering the Whisenhunt connection, with a dash of the New England short pass thrown in. What this all boils down to is that, on days when the defense can get off the field, the Chargers hold the ball for enormous chunks of time, matriculating the ball down the field with the inexorability of a glacier.

I watched a few other games this week and noticed that our games have been very "fast" in comparison. When everything's clicking, the Chargers O will have the ball twice in a quarter, four-six times a half, maybe. We are seeing drives from these Chargers like the Steelers had against us in the playoffs a few years back, and like undefeated New England had against us in the AFCCG in Norv's first year. What does that mean? It means that, for the opposing team, they have to be near perfect on their offensive touches. Every mistake magnifies, every error becomes costly, every bonehead penalty becomes a crushing one.

I'm sure we all remember how it seemed that the Chargers seemed snakebit... like we would make stupid mistakes at the worst times. Now look at the Colts and Jags over the last two weeks. We can remember their mistakes because they were costly and huge - but they were costly and huge because, the way the Chargers play football, you don't get many chances.

If the defense was a little more talented, JUST a little more talented, this is a team that has the potential to win 14 games. I don't think we're quite there, but the fact that we're wracked with injuries and hanging in there bodes well. The bad side of all this is that Philip Rivers needs to be on his game, because as he goes the team will go, now more than ever. Until the defense improves (this year or the next), you can take it to the bank that if Philip has a bad day, the Chargers lose.

Luckily, we ARE talking about Philip Rivers here. And he is who we thought he was.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Good read man.
  19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Great to have you back. You can take over with your awesome Blues and Golds of awesomeness...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Woodhead is one I forgot to put in. That dude just does everything right, I work with a guy who's a Pats fan who just laments the fact that they let him walk.
  21. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    Pros

Manti T'eo sniffing out that QB option, only one who didn't bite
    Ryan Matthews stuffing a TD in and the reaction of the players when he did
    Walker's sack on the final D play of the game and his reaction and those on the sideline
    Larry English looking like he doesn't belong on the street
    Danny Woodhead doing whatever it takes to move the chains

Cons

Rivers running
    McCoy Throwing a challenge flag and a non-challenge play
    Injuries to O-Line
    We had to watch Jacksonville play football (or attempt to)

One thing that struck me, in that last stand of the half, what's to prevent a defense from committing PI over and over again once the other team is out of timeouts? You can never reach the endzone, half of anything is more than nothing.
  22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Was thinking the same thing. NFL needs to do something about that, right? IE: Any defensive penalty when the ball is one football length or less from the end zone is an automatic TD.
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,374 / 36 / -16
    "Zebra's Paradox" ?
  24. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    Pros
    Mathews: Another solid week. Like what I'm seeing now
    English: Finally came out of witness protection, along with the rest of the pass rushers
    Rivers: Making a case for MVP, but running ain't his game
    Bye Week: Could not come at a better time, momentum or not
    Next Game: In my backyard! Time to go beat Ratface Shanahan

Cons
    Injuries: Keep piling up
    McCoy: Don't throw challenge flags willy-nilly, please? That might cost us one day
    I have to listen to Redskin fans for the next two weeks until we stomp them :D
  25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    My condolences. I'll be at this game & hope to be able to pay a few back for ya. :tup: