1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

West Virginia's duo of White, Slaton expect big things in 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by BoltsFanUK, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    One is quiet, with a blossoming 'fro that looks like it ended up on the wrong end of a blow dryer. The other dresses nattily and talks constantly.

"What gets me going?" the chatty one said. "Anything. A hard hit, a good block, a nice run, a big play."

Of all Slaton's attributes, it's his blinding acceleration that thrills. (US Presswire)
    "I try to be on my own," the 'fro added. "That's my biggest thing."

That's the thing about this season's most talented pair of Heisman-candidate teammates. Who knew they were opposites? For the two years they've been together on the field at West Virginia, the best lesson we learned was: Don't blink.

As different as Pat White and Steve Slaton are off the field, only .05 separates them on it. White is the amazingly elusive left-handed quarterback with 4.41 speed. Slaton, the nation's No. 4 rusher last season, is one blink faster at 4.36.

Both operate in an offense that makes blinks seem like wasted lubrication of the cornea.

"I think Steve and Patrick know they're part of something bigger than themselves," coach Rich Rodriguez.

Big as in championship for the Mountaineers. Big as in a possible Heisman for one of them. Big as in proving who is the biggest slacker. The pair takes their competition to a weird level.

"Bam!" Slaton shoves his cell phone in White's face. On it is his personal high score of 1,254 in Jawbreaker, a cellie arcade game.

"What's your average?" White counters. Of course the quarterback (433) has the tailback (367) beat.

"Look, we're competitive right now," said Slaton, explaining that laidback doesn't mean passive. "We'll lay on the ground and see who can get up the fastest."

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10283061

Heisman Hopefuls as well

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/heisman