1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What are your post draft grades?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Apr 27, 2013.

?

What are your post draft grades for the Chargers?

1. A - A+

9.4%
  2. B - B+

75.0%
  3. C - C+

15.6%
  4. D - D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fail city and below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +323 / 1 / -0
    I have a solid B on this draft. Nothing more, nothing less.

We got a couple of nice starters early, and then a train wreck on day 3.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    I'd say C+

A damn good player on day 1, great value on day 2, some useful parts on day 3 but nowhere near what the team needed as far as holes filled.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 29 / -1
    You only say this because they didn't draft a kicker..

No, wait, Nate's gone. Who's your punching bag these days?

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I like to think big picture so I gave it a B+, in a few years we'll have at least 3 solid starters.

As far as 2013 goes we got no help. This roster is built to lose to teams like Denver. No pass rush + no pass block = no playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    I say B-. Great first two days. Manti and Fluker will be pro-bowlers and Allen is the heir apparent to the oft injured Floyd.

Day 3 left a lot to be desired.

There are still a ton of holes on this team, but honestly, it is unrealistic to think they were going to land seven starter in seven rounds, in seven different need positions. You got three starters, a situational pass rusher, nickle corner, and a clipboard Mormon. Not too shabby at all in my books.

Now if we just sign McKinney (sp) for a year, well likely be in position to grab Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan next year. Yes, this is not an overnight fix, despite what many of us would prefer.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Grade & why....

8. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 10 / -1
    Considering the state of this draft class, I think Telesco did as good job. My initial grade would be a B+.

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ha! Didn't want a kicker. As for my "punching bag"..... I think Ryan Mathews has filled in nicely. :D

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    A draft grade the day the draft ended, is as meaningless as all the mock drafts that preceded the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    Is "I" for incomplete close enough?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 36 / -16
    A++

1) Fluker. Gigantic man. Equal to eleven Charger girls. Loves the game.
    2) Te'o. Good motor. High character guy. Will trust Pagano explicitly, and improve.
    3) Allen. Cal Golden Bear! Good speed. Solid routes. Will make circus catches on wild Rivers tosses.
    4) [did not see this pick...was at Fiesta Island]
    5) S. Willams. He's another freaken Cal Bear! That should be enough!
    6) T. Williams. Super athletic. Covers lots of ground. Short arms reduces Ingram's self-consciousness.
    7) Sorensen. Telesco's response when Whisenhunt growled: "I need more, man!" Not a cocky hairline.

As anyone can plainly see, Telesco hit 6 home runs here (and one, humble but noble sacrifice fly).

Normally, I say, "You need at least 3 years to judge a draft" but in this case, that would be insane:
    the jury is already in, and it's a royal flush. Before the draft, I had the Chargers at 7-9 in 2013,
    but after this, well, I'm predicting 15-1 (there's likely gonna be a plumbing mishap in Tenn., that affects the Sept. game)

CHARGERS -- ALL THE WAY -- 2013 -- SUPER BOWL!!!

Chargers Return to Super Bowl.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 7 / -2
    This

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    RD#1 - DJ Fluker (OT) - GRADE: B We addressed a position of need. Did we reach a bit? Maybe, but thats what happens sometimes when your needs are great. Fluker has as much potential as any of the other OT's taken. He has the biggest physical attributes to work worth, if he works hard and improves he will be worthy of the #11 pick!

RD#2 - Manti Te'o (ILB) - GRADE: A We traded up for value in the 2nd round. Addressed an area that could be improved as well. If the Girlfriend thing had not happened, he would never have got out of the 1st round. He isn't the best athlete, but he is a 'baller! Has alot to make up for in the eyes of many. He'll be working his *** off.

RD#3 - Keenan Allan (WR) - GRADE: A+ Had injury issues which led to a poor combine but is a bonafide first round talent. How he made it to the third is a mystrey. 1st round value in the 3rd...enough said!

Later rounds - GRADE: C We didn't make further additions to the OL which is a concern but got some players with potential. CB, DE depth and a QB to groom as number two. Not bad, but could have been better.

OVERALL GRADE: B+

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 29 / -1
    So, then, you're sore we didn't draft a running back :D

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    I find it funny how many people are angry that we did not fill every area of need in this one draft and the initial free agency period. By my account, after letting go the people we did in the off-season, our needs were as follows:

Starting LT
    Starting RT
    Swing Tackle
    Starting RG
    Starting LG
    Backup TE
    Backup/Rotation NT
    Backup/Rotation DE
    Starting (At least 3rd down) Pass rushing OLB
    Starting ILB
    Starting RCB
    Starting LCB
    Backup/Rotation/Starting SS (Depends on Taylors health)

Not too mention specific special teams rolls etc. we needed 12-14 FA\Draftees by camp time (Or even during camp off other peoples cut list) to get our roster settled. With FA and the Draft now complete, I would gauge TT and MM's progress at this:

Starting LT - No one yet
    Starting RT - DJ Fluker
    Swing Tackle - King Dunlap
    Starting RG - Chad Rinehart
    Starting LG - Troutman (Could be upgraded but I think for now he can fill this roll)
    Backup TE - John Phillips
    Backup/Rotation NT - No one yet, we will have to see if either of the UDFA's step up, otherwise its a major area of need
    Backup/Rotation DE - No one as yet, got to wait until camp to see if Harrel or Scafe is ready to step up
    Starting (At least 3rd down) Pass rushing OLB - No one of starting caliber yet, area of need unless Williams or the UDFA can step up
    Starting ILB - Te'o
    Starting RCB - Wright (Think he is ready to step up) - Steve Williams as a backup (Although more likely a Nickel)
    Starting LCB - Cox
    Backup/Rotation/Starting SS (Depends on Taylors health) - No one yet, hope Taylor is ready
    Starting WR - Not an area of need but definitely upgraded with Allen

So at this point I would say we have 8 holes solidly filled with 5 more to work on with UDFA's, future FA's (See June 1st cuts and camp cuts), or trades. Clary, Meacham, and Royal are probably all available for trade although I would think it would have to be a lucky shot to fill our holes with a trade of any of them. If TT and MM were too announce they had signed McKinnie for a 2 year, 9 million dollar deal this week, I think any lingering fears I have would be settled, and I would be willing to withhold any judgement until TC starts. I think they have done a pretty good job patching up this roster considering how little money we had to invest (Still might get 2 million more for cutting Clary). I dont think any of us feel they could patch all the holes on this team in 1 year, but they have made a good start on it.

18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Yesterday was not a good day, but we did well in the most important rounds 1-3, so B for me

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    IMHO, the Chargers of 4/28/13 are better than on the morning of 4/25/13 if only on paper and by short scale. The potential to be better on the field is there but the competitors have also improved, so this all remains to be proofed out. The onus of course, will be on the coaching and training staff where I have always believed the majority of the Bolt's problems existed. I can't really assign a letter grade based solely on the draft, just as we all know there looks to be many new faces on this team and like the Bolt's, there will be many new faces around the league. It seems to me that TT will be able to pick up some stopgap help from castoffs from other teams to get over this initial hump.

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +323 / 1 / -0

Our Round 4 pick was used to move up to grab that "high character" guy you were talking about. ;)

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    So is predicting football victories before the game is played, yet you and most other fans of the game do it. So what is your point Mr. Poopy Pants? :D

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Thanks for reminding me........ that's another colossal waste of time. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I gave it an A, and I'm apparently one of few who didn't give it a B.

We missed out on the only "elite" players in this draft because 11th overall was too low in the order, and because we have so many holes that giving up a 1st next year, or a 2nd/3rd this year was just too much.

On days 1 and 2 we got 2 starters and 1 player who is likely to see significant snaps (Allen). We added to our strongest area (front 7), and got ourselves a potential number 1 receiving option.

I really don't understand the criticism of our day 3 picks. Williams was probably the best player available in the 6th, and we drafted a QB to see if we could groom a cheap backup to Rivers. Was S. Williams the best guy on the board in terms of value, no, but if TT and MM didn't like any of the players with a perceived higher value, then it makes sense not to draft them over Williams at the back end of the draft.

I know that a lot of folks were clamoring for a RB, but I'm not surprised that we didn't take one. The RB position has become completely devalued in the NFL, and we signed a RB as a UDFA who will probably be as good of a player as any of the RBs drafted in rounds 4-7.

Bottom line, when you get starters from rounds 1-3, you're having a great draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I think Tourek Williams doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme, and is just a poor athlete in general, his combine was a disaster and he played in a small conference and didn't dominate. I'd have rather had Joe Kruger or Cornelius Washington, both just have far more upside. I didn't have a problem with the Steve Williams pick other than it wasn't offensive line or pass rusher.

Other than that one pick I thought it was a good draft haul though for the LONG term.

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9

I've said it before, frankly I don't think that TT or MM are expecting to win this year. They're probably going into this season expecting to be drafting in the top 10 next year, and were simply looking to get the best pieces out of this draft that they possibly could. I feel like they did that.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    I said it before, and at the risk of annoying Matty, I'll say it again...... anyone expecting a one year turnaround for this franchise was being more than just optimistic.

AJ left this roster in shambles..... it will take time to repair all the damage done.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    The Chargers are better today than they were on the morning of 04/25/13, that is all. No grade allocated for a job the folks are being paid quite well for.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I agree with the first part, I don't think they expect us to win in 2013, which sucks.:( I don't think it has anything to do with the Tourek Williams pick though, he was far from the BPA, at least to what you can see on tape...I assume he had a great interview or something.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Every team can say this though. It's kinda hard to just add players and end up with a worse roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    Not really, but that's what you believe and there's no wrong in that. I see training and coaching as the biggest need for the Bolt's, I might be wrong but it's what I believe.