1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What are your post draft grades?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Apr 27, 2013.

?

What are your post draft grades for the Chargers?

1. A - A+

9.4%
  2. B - B+

75.0%
  3. C - C+

15.6%
  4. D - D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fail city and below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Absolutely no question, I doubt Norv made a player other than Rivers better his entire time here, dude was an X's and O's coordinator not a coach. I really like what I've seen and heard so far about McCoy, if he's really good he could cover up a lot of the warts we have by simply teaching technique.

That said...talent helps. :tup: And every team added talent this weekend.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    As I posted in another thread, the Bolt's have improved but so has the competition. Coaching and training is the difference as Bum Phillps said about Bear Bryant " he can take his'n and beat your'in, Then he can take your'in and beat his'n" It was true then and it's still true today.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,435 / 36 / -16
    Actually, it wasn't true then and it isn't true today.
    Strength of roster has always been MUCH more important...
    ask loser coaches (2-14) Bill Walsh & (5-11) Bill Belichik...
    Coaches--especially head coaches--get lots of attention because they are out front and easier to
    focus on than a complex roster of 53 men of varying skill, experience, fortitude, etc.
    But give Belichick Cleveland or Jacksonville's roster right now, and he'd be lucky to post a 6-10 record.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Too early to grade, but I still gave it a B+

DJ Fluker, I had one player that I was reluctant to want in the first round? (can you guess who that was:D) I thought he was slow footed, couldn't slide, struggled against quicker pass rushers, and seeing how we have one of the quickest, elite pass rushers in our division, Frankly, it scared the piss out of me. I have soon come to reason that this was the best move to make and how much better he just made our right side. Clary for some GAAWWWDDD awful reason can't be killed, The dude is like a **** roach. Maybe, just maybe he can play RG and can help us out in that area. Could be two for one on this pick.

Manti T'eo, Despite the "Catfish hoax" (I say let's throw that out the window) and the questions about how well he performs under pressure and stress, if a Damn Good football player, was a finalist for the Heisman trophy as a defensive player which is no easy task. He may not be as skilled or athletic as some of the other ILB's that went behind him Author Brown, Kevin Minter, Kiko Alonso, but he is a flat out Baller and possesses a skill set many of the other LB's don't have. His ability to read and react to coverage which only a few can do. I think he and Butler can be a nice dominating foundation in our front 7 for years to come. I would also like to throw out there that SD IMO was the best landing spot for this kid, our media is calm, our players from what we know are loyal and respectful and I think many of the seasoned vet's wouldn't stand for teasing and heckling their own players. Imagine the nightmare if he went to NY, I guarantee you Rex would be leading the teasing.

Keenan Allen, Love this pick! Was my top WR (some may recall earlier this year I suggested to take him in the first, just to get that potential number 1 despite going for need or value and we got him in the 3rd) I don't think or expect him to see much if any playing time this year. Much too crowded WR corp along with I'd rather see his knee 100% healthy and strong by just letting him get those mental reps along with the chemistry needed in practice with Rivers.
    I can't wait for the future of (being hopeful) Allen, Brown as the number 1 and 2 WR's

Steve Williams, This kid could be something special. He's very quick and disruptive, I see him as no more of a nickel in the NFL but could help immediately. Again hopeful he could be the answer to Welker. The lack of CB's picked up in the draft suggest they feel somewhat comfortable with the guys they have. I really like getting Cromartie, lets hope he posses even half the skill set his cousins have, but less of the doo doo brain mindest. I think he'll make the team.

Tourek Williams, don't know much about this kid. He may be nothing more than a special teams contributor or he may be depth as a 2nd or 3rd OLB. Overall jury is out on him, Given the need to fill 18-20 spots on the roster I think he has a good shot in making the team.

Brad "Clipboard Joseph Smith" Sorenson, Maybe he beats out Whitehurst maybe he's Jonathan Cropmton. I do know our QB coach Frank Reich personally hand picked this kid, he obviously see's something he likes. At worst he is a camp body and gets cut in TC, at best he beats out Whitehurst, hold a clip board and we never have to see him take a snap that isn't a pre season game

I do feel like we could have and should have addressed the O line and D line a little more. It's not fair to suggest you're going to have an open competition while filling the roster with the best players when it already seems like they have an idea who the starters may be.

I do like the players they brought in on the D line after the draft, wouldn't be surprised to see the kid from South Carolina and Georgia make the roster

5. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    :roflmao:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    C+ Chargers got three great talents on days 1&2 and at least one talent on day 3, but there's so many holes and I think the final two will struggle to make the roster

Fluker: B The best lineman on the draft and considering the new bargaining agreement, maybe a right tackle in the first round isn't so odd. Still he's incredibly talented and likely will be an excellent if not elite right tackle, especially with his drive. I'm also not overly worried about susceptibility to speed - it's not like he didn't see that in the SEC and he was successful against first rounder Jarvis Jones & Kiki Mingo.

Te'o A- Thank God no more Jonas Mouton BS and with Te'o the Chargers gain both an excellent teammate for Butler and a potential leader. Combined with Weddle, Butler and Liuget and the team has fantastic talent and character throughout, something crucial to any team's success. His weaknesses can be hidden better in a 3-4 and he can be allowed to use his instincts, roam and make plays. Don't see how this is a bad move outside of trading a fourth, something we needed.

Allen A I dislike the fact we took a player from a position that we have good depth in already, but what a value and what a talent. He gives us fantastic depth at this position and gives us four real starters (along with Brown, DX & M-80) that could make something happen. Besides giving Rivers another talent and target will help immensely and those four plus Gates plus Woodhead, Rivers finally has some real talent and targets again.

S. Williams B+ If he was 2 inches taller I think he'd be a first rounder. Has great instincts, fantastic speed, refuses to back down from a challenge and a three foot vertical leap. I love his talent and he will push for a nickel spot. Depth is also needed with Cox's injury history and he could find himself playing alot more soon.

T. Williams C+ Hate that they addressed this so late and not sure this is who I would've picked. Love that he has a great mix of pass rush moves and has strong effective hands but not sure this is someone I'd pair on passing downs with Ingram, who also has short arms. Don't see how he's an improvement in depth over Barnes.

Sorensen C- I think he has the talent and the mindset to be a good backup but at the same time I'm very worried that when he was taken away from the small pond at Southern Utah and put into an all-star game he struggled mightily. Not sure he can be anything more than a big fish in a very small pond.

UDFAs B Love Geathers and the other NT pick, keep your eye on Becton who could've been a starter for longer but was behind an established guy for two years. Michael Hill was brought in for an interview and has some real talent too.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9218636SAN DIEGO -- After dealing with the commotion over his fake online girlfriend and his flop in the national championship game, Manti Te'o believes he's ready for the NFL.
    That includes being mentally tough enough for the verbal abuse he'll surely hear in places such as Philadelphia, where the San Diego Chargers play their first road game next season, and Oakland's infamous "Black Hole."

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    Christopher Hanewinckel/USA TODAY SportsManti Te'o, the Chargers' second-round pick, said Saturday he believes he's ready for the NFL.

"After the couple months I've been through, I think I'm pretty prepared," Te'o said Saturday in his introductory news conference. "As far as going into another stadium, you can't worry about that stuff. You're with your family, you're with your brothers out there. That's all that matters. That's all you can really pay attention to. Yeah, it's a football game, and you play with the guys that you've prepared with, and you focus on what's important, and that's making sure that when the Chargers walk off, we're victorious."
    The Chargers' rookie brain trust, general manager Tom Telesco and coach Mike McCoy, said they weren't bothered by the scrutiny Te'o has been under the last four months. The Chargers traded up in the second round to pick the star Notre Dame linebacker.
    Te'o visited with Telesco and McCoy in San Diego before the draft and gave his version of what happened with the girlfriend hoax and his poor play in Notre Dame's blowout loss to Alabama in the national championship game.
    "I just concentrate on me being me," said Te'o, who seemed relaxed in facing the media. "What I learned from that is you can control certain things and you can't control other things. So, learn to control the things you can and leave the things you can't control up to those people. I was just happy to get out there and share my side of the story, to just tell them that hey, what happened was what happened and what I'm here to do is play football. Hopefully guys saw that."
    Te'o said Friday that he had expected to go in the first round on Thursday night. He was with his family in Hawaii when the first round came and went without him being drafted. The Chargers took him with the 38th pick overall after trading spots in the second round with Arizona and giving the Cardinals their fourth-round pick.
    Te'o said he's been welcomed by his new teammates, with quarterback Philip Rivers being the first to text him with congratulations. He's even getting on well with Alabama right tackle D.J. Fluker, the Chargers' first-round pick.
    Te'o became the butt of national jokes after it was revealed he was duped into an Internet romance with a girlfriend he never met.
    The too-good-to-be-true story began with Te'o's incredible performances after learning his grandmother and what he believed was his girlfriend had died within hours of one another in September. Te'o said it inspired him to play his best football all season, and it was so compelling that it helped turn Te'o into a Heisman Trophy contender as he was leading the Fighting Irish to an undefeated regular season and into the national title game.
    On Dec. 26, Te'o notified Notre Dame officials that he had received a call from his supposedly dead girlfriend's phone three weeks earlier.
    The school investigated and -- after Deadspin.com broke the story of the fake girlfriend -- athletic director Jack Swarbrick announced at a news conference that Te'o had been duped. Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, 22, later said he created the online persona of Lennay Kekua, a nonexistent woman who Te'o said he fell in love with despite never meeting her in person.

AFC West blog

[​IMG]
    ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Te'o struggled in Notre Dame's loss to in the national championship game to Alabama and its offense full of future NFL draft picks.
    One of those players, Fluker, was drafted by the Chargers with the 11th overall pick Thursday night. Fluker posed for a group photo with Te'o and California wide receiver Keenan Allen, the Chargers' third-round pick. Fluker then stood to the side as Allen and then Te'o answered questions.
    "He's one of the funniest dudes in the world," Te'o said of Fluker. "Having D.J. on our team and the energy he brings to the game, if you watch him on the field he's one of the meanest dudes but off the field he's one of the coolest guys to get to know. Now we're here and Keenan's here. We all knew each other before we came here. We're very lucky to be here."
    Te'o said he's dealt with the circus the last few months by "just finding time for myself. I found time for myself with my family. I found a lot of peace and a lot of joy just hanging out with my friends, hanging out with my family. Me going back to Hawaii was the best thing that happened to me, just to be around my family."
    What should people know about him?
    "I'm just a regular 22-year-old kid," Te'o said. "I just love to hang out with friends, love to play football. Just normal. Just like everybody else."
    Te'o said his biggest influences were the late Junior Seau, who starred with San Diego for 13 seasons, and Ray Lewis, who retired after leading Baltimore to the Super Bowl win against San Francisco.
    "It starts off with Junior," Te'o said. "Me being a Polynesian-Samoan kid, you look up to Junior. He's a Samoan man who was a trailblazer for kids like me. Everybody knows what Ray Lewis does, not only as a player but what he does as a teammate, rallying his guys, being that leader. When he says something, people listen. I've always watched that, the enthusiasm, energy and tenacity."

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Since none of this will ever happen we'll never know. I do know this, many men did and overcame odds of insurmountable difference, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull come to mind as well as others. Motivation can be an asset or deficit, it all depends on who's running the show. You are right though, talent leaves a lot of room for mistakes.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,435 / 36 / -16
    Hey, I'm a big Crazy Horse fan, but even CH himself couldn't have done a damn thing with the '09 Redskins.

The examples could go on all day...not only did Montana & Brady make Walsh & Belichick coaching legends,
    Shanahan went from a 6-10 & 5-11 coaching moron to a 10-6 playoff genius precisely when RG3 joined that team.
    (of course, Shanahan's a double example, because the mediocre coach also got to ride a horse called Elway
    to NFL greatness...but couldn't do anywhere near as well without him.)
    Coaching matters. But good players beat average players almost every time. But then coaches get fired! :rolleyes:

Crazy Crazy r.jpg

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    <<< Pugsley says Telesco gets an A

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    What is it that they say about a blind dog?