1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What are your thoughts on Joe Thomas?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    He's not a fit for the Chargers, although in the Thumper draft guide you can never have enough depth at OL.

Seriously though. What are your thoughts on this guy? I'm completely happy with Marcus McNeil and even if we were looking for a left tackle, there is no way we'd get him, but I'm impressed.

The guy is down to earth, smart, plus he's got great technique, he's strong, and he can play nasty. I know he hasn't done anything in the NFL yet, but I think he's got Jonathan Ogden type talent. Just curious what your thoughts about him were.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    good footwork, good pass protection ability and decent run blocking for a light tackle.
    love his team first attitude (an OT that agrees to play DT even though he's a top 10 pick)
  3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I think he is going to be a Lion or a Cardinal
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I agree somewhat in the comparison to Gallery. I think he'll be everything Gallery was supposed to be but never ended up being. He's stronger and has more heart than Gallery ever did though. Gallery even got more hype than Thomas is getting, but Thomas will be twice the player or more.
  5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya on the bling. I think most people feel that way, but a great LT & the oline in general are so important to a team even if it isn't a glory position. Maybe I'm just biased after 90% of my high school football career was played on the oline. I did play a little bit of nose tackle on defense also, but mostly just filling in. I played all over the line except center. Mostly I was at left guard though. So that might partially explain my bias towards oline players, but I still do believe they are the foundation for everything else you do on offense.
  6. Tallen234

Tallen234 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tough call. I don't like his short arms 32.5". Gallery had 31" arms. In the NFL you need long arms to keep the speed rushers at bay. But he has been pretty productive and effective in college. Gallery may have been hurt by his lack of consistent coaching with the Raiders and the fact that the OL sucked in general. I think Thomas will be better than a Gallery, but I don't think he will be as good as Marcus, out of the gate.
  7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I think we have a great one in Marcus McNeil, but I don't think Thomas will have any trouble from the get go in the NFL. Bryant Mckinney is another highly drafted LT recently. He's done well, but I think Thomas will be better over the long haul. Galery, on the other hand, I'm not sure he'll pan out to be anything more than a servicable lineman.
  8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Just don't equate Thomas to being another Gallery. Gallery is not in the same league as Thomas.
  9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Thomas will be ok. Will probably give up 3.5 sacks a year and be a decent run blocker or something like that. Maybe he'll make the pro-bowl once or twice in his career but probably not.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Joe Thomas is the biggest beast MOFO in the draft. This guy is one mean son of a ***** and I'd love to have him replace freakin Shane Olivea.
  11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad assessment. I think Thomas will come right in and play at a high level because of his smarts and work ethic. But I don't see the physical dominance like I did when Odgen was coming out.

Like MTL says, Thomas will be good, but not a potential HOF lineman. I would pass on him in the top 5.
  12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I think he's go the strength to be a dominant LT for years. He'll make the probowl by his second year in the league, if not the first.
  13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I agree. He's a left tackle, but I love his attitude. I'm sure he'd play where ever it took to help the team.