1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What happend to baseball.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by BOLTS4LIFE, May 10, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    This is the way I see it...

As a (some what former) die hard Baltimore Orioles fan, they gave me some GREAT days!!!!

As young as I was at the time, I still remember cheering like crazy for Brooks Robinson!!!

Then was that 83 World Championship team with great players such as Eddie Murry, Rick Dempsey, Al Bumbry, Jim Plamer, Mike Flanagan, Ken Singleton, etc.

Yes, I also followed the Padres. I remember their first trip to the World Series against the Tigers and I got excited in the first game. Tigers were expected to wipe them out fast but the Padres hung tough. The final score was 2-1. That made me think that they had a chance!!!

As baseball got cooler, then came that strike in 94. I was pissed but at the same time I was like “who cares? Football is right around the corner!!!”
    Then when the strike continued into 95, I realized what a cool season 94 would have been and how this was starting to hurt.
    When the strike ended, there was only one thing that kept my interest... CAL RIPKIN!!!! I don’t care want anybody says... CAL SAVED BASEBALL!!! MLB was playing in front of a few hundred fans at best. As Cal’s streak got closer, fan attendance increased!!! MLB owes their blood to him!!!

After Cal, came Mcguire and Sosa. THAT WAS AWESOME until the truth came out. Really a shame because that was just what the MLB doctor ordered!!! Conseko... what a douche!!! He just couldn’t stand to see guys setting records without domestic abuse charges.

In 2002... they had the balls to threaten to strike again. UNTIL... the over paid, overrated pre madonnas realized there was not CAL RIPKIN to save their sorry *** this time!!!

Since then, baseball has gone down the drain.
    Unless you’re a Yankees or Red Sox fan, there’s no point in watching.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    padres suck = baseball sucks

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    For most part, you're right.
    Though in the 90s, there were many teams I enjoyed watching. though my focus was on the Orioles and Padres... White Sox were a cool team at that time. So were the Braves, Tigers, Jays, etc.
    Those teams were cool because they had some major sluggers.

Now, you could hardly drag me to a Padres or Orioles game. You couldn't pay me to sit through a game not involving either team.

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Het B4L, your first post brings back some fond memories of the Lenn Sakata era:

[​IMG]

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Yup. A time to forget. Just like the 0-21 start. :icon_eek:

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    MLB has done an awful job of branding the sport.

They pretty much rely on Yankees/Red Sox.

Back in the days there was the HR race and all of that. I think they need to do more to promote the stars of the game.

Plus speed isn't really a factor anymore, teams are only relying on Homers and when there isn't any it can be pretty boring. **** even when the Pads sucked in the early 2000's at least they had hustle/speed guys that made it worth watching.

Now what do we have? Crappy hitters, no speed, no excitement. I'm a huge Padre fan but it's getting tough for me to watch this team at times, really the only guy worth watching is Peavy.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,017 / 1 / -0
    I agree almost completely with all of that...

Basically I think the National League is stuck in "retro" mode. For the baseball purist it's a beautiful thing... strategy, and moving the runners along. Playing good defense and and timely base hits are generally what is going to win you the game.

But in the meantime, while the NL is stuck with this no-DH old-school style, the American League has continued to evolve and change and become something different. The AL is all about power... monster lineups full of power hitters and power pitchers. And of course with the de-attention-spanification of the world, marketing today is all about excitement and rivalries and big names and right now the AL has all those things and the NL has none.

So while the old timers may love the NL for it's strategy and old-school style, the old timers generally are not the demo that moves product and MLB has all but given up on promoting ANY of the "dominant" NL teams.

BoltzRule is absolutely correct that the only thing baseball is interested in any more is Yankees v Red Sox. If you don't have a vested interest in either of these teams there's no hype, a drastic drop-off in talent level, and only an inferior product to call your own. I liked the Red Sox when they were lovable losers... Now they're the exact same thing as the Yank's as far as I'm concerned.

Most the top tier talent has abandoned the NL and so we're stuck watching minor league talent compete for the right to get beaten down by an AL powerhouse come October.

MLB sucks... that's what happened to it.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    I agree the AL is the dominant division but not for that reasons you have stated.

Look at the team salaries, all of the top spending teams are in th AL except for the Mets, Cubs and Dodgers. Big markets, and big markets drive MLB. They sign the most marquee players and that's what drives the attendance and concessions. The owners care about making money, nothing more. The small market owners don't give a crap because they get a piece of the pie.

that's what happened to MLB

:tdown:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 7 / -2
    No salary cap = ******, unfair, unbalanced league

As soon as the season starts like 1/3 of the teams are already out of contention because they simply can't afford to keep up with the big spenders.

Until baseball has a cap, a real cap like the nfl and nba, it will continue to be lopsided as fuk and it will be yankees and red sox every year.

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I agree 100%. I'm still a Padres fan, but you hit it. Baseball will continue to suck until all the teams are playing on a balanced field. ...and fuk the yankees.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Not having a cap is a pretty big reason too, but I don't see it coming anytime soon, at least until we get a strong commish who wants to implement it.

The big market teams who are benefiting will fight it, players will fight it because it might mean less $$, although it doesn't have to, and there's no way Selig will do it because he's a puss and is probably afraid of messing with the Yankees/Sox rivalry.

Imagine a day when the Rays, Blue Jays or Orioles actually have a legitimate chance of winning or competing for the AL East. That is what baseball needs but there's no one currently in place that is willing to push for it and actually have any weight.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    fuk beisboll. I'm ready for some football, and not that euro crap. Real american football!!!!!!!

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    You all brought up some great points. In my days of being a baseball fan, I followed the AL more but what I really liked about the NL was that it was more smash mouth style.
    I like having the pitchers bat and the rivalries were more heated. When a fight would break out in the AL, it would usually just be some shoving with maybe a swing or two. When a fight would break out in NL, it was an all out brawl!!!

I agree with BoltzRule... they need to focus on the stars.
    Fans of all teams were excited about Ripkin, Sosa, and McGuire in the 90s. There is none of that today.

I also think RTL is right... Salary cap would be a good start!

Oriole Park in Camden Yards has totally become the Yankees and Red Sox home away from home. Disgusting!!!
    I remember in the 90s waiting in a looooong line with hope that standing room would still be available. All Orioles fans too.

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bolts, things are looking up. The Orioles just swept the Red Sox.

:icon_banana::icon_banana::icon_banana:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update TK. I also heard that the Yankees are struggling. It sure would be nice to see someone push the Red Sux and Spankees out of the playoffs this season!!! :yes:

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    The MLB is on pace to have 1,000 less homeruns this year than in 2006.

Read into that what you will.

17. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Baseball = Who Cares?

The way rosters turn over in baseball, there's very little continuity. Feels more like each season is a production of a musical, only this year it's with a different cast than last year... and the year before.

18. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 1 / -0
    I agree completely. A salary cap is needed, but first we need a commissioner with the balls to implement one.

19. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +291 / 1 / -0
    This brings back some good memories.
    I was never an Oriole fan, but I loved to watch Brooks Robinson play 3rd base. I will never forget watching him on TV during the 1971 World Series against the Pirates. He made plenty of amazing plays at third. He is one of the best 3rd basemen of all time in my book.

20. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +291 / 1 / -0

This is a very interesting perspective, and I believe it has merit. With that said, I prefer the Old School game. I’m still upset they put lights in at Wrigley field, but that is a different issue. I think the NL style of baseball needs to go back to the basics…speed, base running, stretching singles into doubles, and doubles into triples. What ever happened to stealing home, or calling more squeeze plays. What ever happened to the knock down pitch…chin music? Most of the teams in the NL play conservative baseball; the teams need to get more aggressive. Maybe the conservative play is due to concerned about stats, and player health? If so, then I think the outrageous salaries players are getting today may be the root of the problem; they play for the love of money more than the love of the game.