1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What?!?... Ryan Mathews not in shape?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,939 / 48 / -26
    Mathews struggles in conditioning

When he'd finished running on the field, a good 15 minutes after his teammates had come in from practice, Ryan Mathews entered the locker room on Friday evening.

A few steps inside, a veteran teammate asked Mathews a casual yet loaded question, accompanied by a smile that was more of a smirk.

“You all right?”

Mathews, still breathing heavily, quickly replied that he was.

It's been a rough couple days for Mathews, who was unable to finish Wednesday's conditioning test, prompting incessant teasing (and some incredulity) from teammates.

Mathews, as he did the challenges that pockmarked his rookie season, has faced this latest struggle straight on, without excuse.

“My cardio is real good; I don’t get tired,” Mathews said. “It’s the speed work. I haven’t been doing much speed work like that. There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs.”

Mathews showed up to some of this spring’s Philip Rivers-organized workouts, including the week in June that players considered to be like a minicamp. But he had to pull out of what many Chargers described as fairly easy conditioning drills on the first day of camp.

To atone, Mathews has been doing extra running after practices and said he will continue to do so as long as necessary.

“It’s making sure I’m accountable for what I didn’t get done in the offseason,” Mathews said. “It’s my legs. If you want the ball 20-25 times a game, it’s about having the legs.”

Whatever slow start to camp he is enduring – and any fitness issue has been virtually undetectable in practice as he takes his reps with the first team – Mathews insists he is wiser and stronger for having endured a disappointing rookie season in which he was slowed by a high ankle sprainsuffered in the season’s second game and also burdened by the weight of expectations.

“I had to deal with the pressure of expectations I’d rush for 2,000 yards and go to the Pro Bowl,” Mathews said. “It was a lot on my back – being the first-round pick, coming in after LT. As much as you try to not let it get to you, it does.

“Being able to have the offseason and get (the ankle) back to 100 percent, I feel like I did when I first came in. It’s going to be a good year ... I can play with these guys. Coming into this year I know a lot more than I did at the end of last season.”

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    I was at training camp today and Mathews was in some early offensive drills. But the last two sets of drills, he was nowhere to be found. Couldn't find him on the field at all.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,939 / 48 / -26
    Shows you his lack of maturity...... without the normal offseason structure, he didn't do enough on his own to stay in shape.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    Unless he was nursing that sprain in the offseason... these things don't heal easy now. It's nothing to be concerned about, we've got a month until the season starts.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,939 / 48 / -26
    I'm not saying it's a big concern, just that the young guys need the structure of the OTAs and mini-camps to get ready for football. This year required them to be more self-disciplined...... he apparently didn't train as hard as he should've.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    Either that, or he will be kept out of all of our preseason games so he doesn't sustain any injuries, a la LT...

7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    I'd rather him play it safe and get up to 100%, but only he knows how he feels. Let's wait to see how conditioned he is against the Vikes THEN criticize the guy. This offseason has its upsides and downsides. I'd rather a guy coming off injury be 100% and out of shape than the same guy come into shape 75% and be in football shape. That's all I'm getting at.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,939 / 48 / -26
    Sure, you don't want a guy pushing it when he's not 100% healthy, no question.

9. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Got the rep of being injury prone coming out of college...proved to continue to be true his rookie season....no with this, I'll put odds on him being hurt before the midway point of the season. 'round the Lightning house whenever he is mentioned we don't even use his name, we've just been calling him China Doll since last year.

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Mathews is an epic bust. Never draft running backs high is MTL's #1 golden rule. I am not banking on him going Tiki Barber on us and fixing his fumbling problem. Dude holds onto the football like it's a water balloon dipped in bacon fat.

11. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Wow! There's some harshness there.

The guy's just come back from an injury that shortened his rookie year and he's just had his first pro offseason locked-out.

He's contrite and putting in extra work to get himself ready for the season.

12. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Do you know who I am?

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Actually no. Hi... I'm THE LBC (please don't forget to include the "The" when addressing me); nice to meet you. Now please sum up, in 100 words or less, exactly WHO you are.

;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I don't but I guess you're a legend.

I'm just the guy sitting in Phillip's chair in the locker room...

Pleased to meet you ;)

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    Ryanna is getting off to another good start I see. The dude runs for a living, how hard would it be for him to find a nice place to run at in Dego???? He couldn't even make it in Philip River's version of a mock training camp????? give me a break, I think, I need to take a nap now.

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Matthews is my next Kaeding.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I am still not pleased with our RB situation.

Chiefs: Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones
    Broncos: Knownshon Moreno, Willis McGahee, LenDale White
    Raiders: Darren McFadden, Michael Bennett
    Chargers: Ryan Matthews, Mike Tolbert

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    Fixed it fer ya.

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... you're Ron 2012 Paul.

20. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, let's wait until season before we start talking ****.

• Like Like x 1
  21. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and welcome back MTL. Cheers :)

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    I do... Nothing much to talk about... You like to talk big, make big statements only to fuel arguments, then run crying when people slap you around via posts... :rolleyes:

What do I win?

23. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I won't talk crap about him but I would be disappointed if he did not hire a personnal trainer to keep him in shape and help him prevent from getting injured during the year. It's good to read he admits his mistake and is working on getting himself back to where he needs to be but I just hope he doesn't push himself to much to fast hurt himself.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Oh look, this thread again. Let's all throw a dude under the bus because it's his second year and he isn't a pro bowler yet.

Seriously, some of you guys really need to get a grip.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    This

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +413 / 8 / -0
    good to see the forum is back to regular season shape :confused:

27. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    my admiration

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    If he isn't ready or isn't it shape then I wonder why on earth did he not train or ask for advice from veterans to prepare for this year? Lord knows he had plenty of options to talk to about setting up a workout schedule. That he's not ready to go speaks very poorly of his level of maturity and dedication

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    I'll give him one more year but that's it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.