1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What?!?... Ryan Mathews not in shape?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    lol
  2. onzo

onzo Me and Malcom Floyd.

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The faiders are not that good. My question is how good are they going to be ? I'm surrounded by Faiders fans & they say this is there year at the Superbowl or Playoffs.. They have many needs & they need a realty check what more can I say to them?
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Yall might want to take it easy on your Mathews bust talk. It was a long off season and he had no access to team trainers. He was out running extra reps so he is working on his conditioning, which is what camp is for, isnt it?
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    I'm the biggest Mathwes homer here, but god damnit I'm disssapointed in him. I heard he was rarely attending the offseason workouts, I had no idea he wasn't working out at all.
  5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Who cares. It's almost the beginning of August and we have until almost mid September. That's plenty of time. Like I said, if he got in shape and then came out on Sept. 11th not 100%, I bet the same lot of you that's throwing him under the bus would bitch about how he didn't take care of himself in the off season blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. As if he's the centerpiece of this offense. It's not that big of a deal, and besides we have another perfectly capable back in Tolbert to carry the load. He did just fine when Mathews was out.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Honestly I just saw his pictures in SDUT....ripped as ****. Unless they are pictures from last year I don't see an ounce of fat on the guy as of 1 day ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. We're not dealing with Fat Al Haynesworth now, he's not overweight. If that were the case then I'd be singing a different tune but we're talking endurance here. He's in shape just not football shape... yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'm hearing he got dinged up yesterday. Poor baby.
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Said it was from soreness after running his *** off for the last couple days.

Like it or not, your body has to recover from that stuff. I'm glade to see the NFL is getting a little less brutal on its players, because forcing him to practice could have easily turned into a hamstring injury that keeps him from running for the next couple weeks.
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    IF it's Sept 11th and he's too jacked up to play, THEN let's have this "Ryan Mathew's is a pussy/lazy bastard" thread. Hell, I'll even join in on that hate parade. Until then, crybabies gonna cry about everything as usual.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    It MUST be football season. -___-
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    This! QFT! and every other THAT there is the be had!
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    What language is that? ;)
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    It's not hate going against Ryanna, it's disappointment that he's not ready to participate in TC and nowhere close to football shape. It's not like he lives on a deserted island with no facilities in which to work out in. It seems other players made it to the player only workouts, but not Ryanna, make all the excuses you wish for him but enabling him not to take his job seriously is a fatal mistake.
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Wow. I remember Rivers' first few TCs where he was throwing passes into the dirt 5 feet in front of him. You supported him and argued that everyone should do the same... Guess your support is not for the whole team...

Its way early to be writing him off.

Serious question. Why does it seem a lot of fans are rooting for this kid to fail?
  18. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0

Not quite the same situation but it's the same idea. We're talking about practice?
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    How you manage to get that "I want him to fail" has to come from your posterior. This kid is now a millionaire and member of a NFL franchise that has given more than just money to be successful. Is it to much to ask of him to take care of himself and stay in shape for that which he is paid?? Tomlinson, who I believe is this kids idol, never took time off from that which he loved and made a damn good living at. Ryanna can't replace Tomlinson, no one can, but he can at least give the effort to be ready for training camp can't he?
  20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    I have to agree that the news is disappointing. After a lackluster start to his career, you'd think the Mathews would seize the opportunity of the long off-season, to get himself into great shape, so he could be ready day one to take the next step. If LT was truly his idol, then why isn't he trying to duplicate his training habits?
  21. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, you should be careful when you're injured. Playing or practicing while you have an injury can aggravate that injury and eventually make it worse. What hurts the team more? Being conditioned and playing injured or being out of shape and playing 100%? One of these is an easy fix and I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
  22. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Has it now... Does calling him Ryanna indicate your heartfelt support?

Also, I have to apologize but the universe does not center on you. I put that question out there because a lot of fans are quick to insult him and actively look for the bad in any report, such as in my opinion you have. My question was to all who enjoy calling him a pussy and Ryanna.

He is in physically excellent shape (meaning he isnt flabby). Look at the pictures. He is working on his endurance which is what a lot of pros do in training camp.

So nothing is coming from my posterior, and in my opinion you are far from supporting him. Given the posting history I would not be surprised if he did fail you would enjoy giving us all a big fat I told you so. So in my mind that equates to wanting him to fail.

Hope that clarifys things for you.

You of course are welcome to your opinion of him.
  23. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    "We talkin' 'bout practice, man."

Why we're still talkin' 'bout this (in my professional fanatical opinion) might be because
    we've had so little to talk about during the offseason. Really though, this thread will likely
    be dead in about a week and a half when Mathews is getting his first good bites of camp.

The dude is still hecka (bay area slang) young and does appear to have his head on straight.
    He's still learning that he has the opportunity now to train like a professional and not just
    rely on his natural ability to get him by. It was just about this time last year, that he realized
    that there was more to eat than 7-11 nachos and kool-aid.

I don't see him repeating any mistakes. He actually learns from them.
    Although, I would like to see him do all of his current running with a football
    taped to his hands.

Go Bolts!
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    It's been a rough couple days for Mathews, who was unable to finish Wednesday's conditioning test, prompting incessant teasing (and some incredulity) from teammates. From SDUT article.

I guess us fans can't give the guy a hard time, it's not like him teammates would or anything like that. Besides, Conc say's we can't because we must have a hidden agenda or hatred for the kid.
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Is that the best you have Hex? Crying about what I say? C'mon you got more stroke than that.

Sorry your short hairs are twisted. I imagine you will eventually get over it.
  26. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Not a ton of unique insight to offer to this topic, but add me to the 'disappointed' party. I just get the feeling that he expects this stuff to come to him instead of him going and getting it.

As far as the community 'dis-like' for RM, I think people feel we overpaid for him at a time when we needed to fill several holes. People still think we could have had him at our original spot and then still gotten other players too. He suffers from some AJ backlash as he is one of the guys AJ 'fell in love with'.

Count me as hoping we all sing his praises by year end.
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    Concey, Like any other MB folks are going to agree and disagree. I don't understand why you are so butt-hurt when even his own teammates are giving him a hard time. You turned a little bit of a good ribbing into hatred, not I. You're the one running to Ryanna's rescue not me. It's you, who cry's loudest and most often when another has a differing opinion than you.
  28. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Right there with ya. I think he will be in shape come the season, and if he can put his 'flashes' from last season together, I think a few people will be eating some crow...
  29. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Hexey, Hexey, Hexey... I am not but hurt at all. I am pointing out that it seems hypocritical for you to support Rivers through his two first training camps when he looked pathetic, and not support Ryan.

Did I ever accuse you or running to Ryan's rescue? No... I never said such a thing, in fact I am not sure where you even got that thought from... I did in fact point out your lack of support and desire to see him fail. Hence your twisted short hairs...

As far as me crying the loudest about other opinions... seriously CHILD PALEASE... Bring something original, you say that to anyone who argues with you.

I am the only one in this conversation who is saying you are free to think what you want. I have not seen you make such a claim, so I would suggest that perhaps you Hexey are the one crying. But that is the nature of the forum argument so it does not really mean much.

You posted your Ryanna talk, I pointed out your support of Rivers in much the same manner, and you seem to be the one bent... I would 'thou doest protest too much'... That means I hit the nail on the head doesn't it ole Hexey....

Now if your short hairs are in a bunch, just let me know and I will stop posting to you... Ummmkay?
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    In what universe do you partake life in??? Yes, I did say I liked the trade for River's and was banned from other sites for saying as much. I do believe that is how and why this site came about, so we all could voice our opinion agreed to or not.
    If I am not mistaken, most of those who doubted River's have come to believe in the guys play, correct me if I'm wrong. I also give River's the what-for when he blows it and throws a stupid pick but River's has always showed up ready to play and in shape, again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.