1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What?!?... Ryan Mathews not in shape?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    It's ashame you guys feel inclined to defend Ryan like this. Speaking about getting defensive, you'd think he was your kid out there.

Facts are damn facts, dude came in outta shape, and now is either hurt or simply taking time off for being SORE. Warren Sapp critisized him back in the off-season for not participating in Rivers' workouts, and this is the **** that happens. It's not like he's proved his self and can afford taking some time off (a la Gates).. We shall see but day by day, game by game that trade up to 12 is looking worse and worse..
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    And I have the right to laugh at you for it, same as you have the right to laugh at me. :D
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Is it Sept 11th yet? No. So relax guy, it's called TRAINING camp for a reason. You know what that word right? I'm assuming you do since you're so gung ho about your own physical fitness.

You need to get over the fact we traded up for him already. You are not smarter than AJ so stop acting like you know better than he does. Give it a rest.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    He's been doing extra conditioning dude, its a proven fact that muscles need time to rest and repair after hard workouts or you have high risks for strains and pulls.

Takeo Spikes said it the other day..."its not how hard you practice, its how smart you practice." As long as RM is standing and watching rather than sitting at home on his couch I don't much care.
  5. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    I completely understand bud, its the fact that it happened... I mean really, whens the last time a 2nd year RB came in (with a point to prove) out of shape? Its the principal, its not showing a ton of heart
  6. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Yea, I am glad he's putting in the necessary work, but man I really don't think he's just READY to go, he has a lot to work on and I think he needs to be out there doing so.. I can see if he was a LT, Gates etc etc that had their form, new the playbook inside/out etc etc.. He looked shaky as HELL last year.. Hopefully its just the initial hitting thats getting him sore and he finishes strong..we shall see.
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    It's barely his second year and we had NO offseason workout program for him to participate in. Perhaps he worked his *** off doing drills and exercises he thought he should do and then found out he was wrong. It'snot like he just sat on his couch playing Xbox and eating pizza all summer, he is in shape, just not the right kind of shape he needs to be for a game. He's not the first guy or the last to show up to camp and need some work. Again, that's what camp is for. He's got a month to get up to speed.

Yes, in a perfect world every single player would show up ready to play a game full speed 5 minutes after they got into their gear, but they don't because this isn't a perfect world.
  8. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Not sure bout that one.. I dunno its pointless to argue. Agree to disagree and be done.
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Since you all want to bring up his fumbling problem... :roflmao:
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Cut him some slack. A lot of rookies look shakey their first season, let alone if there is injuries involved. See what he brings this season, if it is sub-par, get the pitchforks and torches at that time (I humbly suggest)...

He showed flasheds of brilliance last season, I am willing to give him some time to show us he is the real deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Exactly. We will all happily line up to trash the guy if that happens.
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    158 attempts, 4 fumbles. 1 fumble every 30.5 carries.
    22 receptions, 1 fumble...

He was 3rd in rushing amungst 2010 rookies...

Other RBs outfumbled him including Peyton Hills, Cedric Benson, and Mike Tolbert...

I would not panic with those numbers unless it becomes a habbit season in and season out.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Again, just to reiterate, he is barely going into his 2nd year. His stats, when playing, were solid. But, as usual, everyone is looking to burn these guys at the stake for the smallest hints of possibility that they may not be legends in the making.

Not everyone is gonna be #21, that why he was so special.
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    hey remember how I was hating on Rivers after watching his first two pre-seasons... Good thing the team didnt listen to my know-nothing arse...

And Cro when we drafted him? Well... that one kinda panned out, but he had some flashes!
  15. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 7 / -1
    Whaddaya know. On a side note, I didn't know McNeill wasn't practicing. Must have missed that somehow.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    /thread
    • Like Like x 1
  17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Jason LaCanfora talking smack on RM. Saying his team mates were "mad he didn't show up to the off season workouts put on by 17" and "He failed his conditioning test"... I think when dudes like this report crap like this it blows up in their face, but that's just the media being media.
  19. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    It's a damn shame that a kid who was hurt on and off all season long and couldn't hang on to the football has the audacity to show up for training camp and FAILS THE FRIGGING CONDITIONING TEST... that puts his azz in the category of Haynesworth... aka a piece of sh!t. Oh he's working hard... really now?

How nice of him to MAN UP and work hard to get in shape... opps... I spoke too soon... he's hurt again or maybe just a little bitty sore. This is football dammit... not tiddlywinks.

How do you spell wussie... maybe you can start spelling it R-Y-A-N M-A-T-T-H-E-W-S from now on. Seems like we've got a new Mangina on the team.
  20. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    lol.. I Feel your frustration brother, I feel your frustration!
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    You can spell it QUENTIN JAMMER too. He says he never passes the conditioning test at the beginning of camp.

Which doesn't surprise me, I heard him on XX radio say he doesn't do bench press, lift any weights, or run more than 1 mile a day. Its all pushups, situps, and short sprints and he uses TRAINING CAMP to get in game shape.
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    You're loving this aren't you? :laugh:

I'm gonna make sure you eat this when the kid rushes for 1100yds, 10tds, and 5+ypc this year. (Would be more if Tolbert doesn't keep vulturing TDs)
  23. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    You left out your 40 time, the car you drive, and how much money you make. just sayin':whistling:
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I just love it when people pull out the "you haven't posted in x amount of time" card.

Some folks have other **** to do, tragedies in their life, etc. I personally have posted with 909 plenty on other sites. Maybe he doesn't post as much here because of the high ratio of butt-hurt/insults to reasonable discussion.

You guys don't like what's being said about Mathews right now, tough ****. He's earned a little uncertainty in his future. FWIW - he's a Charger & I'm pulling for him. As a FAN, I'll claim my right to question his devotion & whether the injury-prone label is gonna prove out.

Everyone here has someone on this team that they question. I guess that makes us all a bunch of piss-poor Charger fans, right?

I move this thread be thrown into the ***-clown pit with Trumpy. haha
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Have you posted enough to post this?!

Not in the face! Not in the face!
  26. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Jesus Christ Kid, can you read? I am doggin' on Jason Lacuntlips because he doesn't know wtf he's talking about and you find away to poke another jab at me. I have made it PERFECTLY clear that I want him to do well, but I have also made it perfectly clear that he deserves a little scrutiny as well!
  27. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Christ Conc, you've designed a second generation .com here..I thought this place had some balls..

Nexxxxxt
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    We all hope the kid does well. Unless you really aren't a fan of the Bolt's that is. Heck, even Concey said it, he used to get all over River's and he did but he was happily wrong. I never said the kid couldn't play, just that I was disappointed in his shape, the Bolt's are counting on this guy and so am I. Lets hope he tears it up this year.
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I think the point that some are trying to make, is that your disappointment is unwarranted when Jammer fails these tests every single year, and I don't think anyone would question that he is in shape.

It would be one thing if he showed up to camp over weight, but he wasn't. He is in shape, just not FOOTBALL shape, and that is what training camp is for
    • Like Like x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Jammer is a seasoned vet and took plenty of heat his first five years. Hell, people were screaming to cut the guy but skill positions are always going to stick out. Ryanna is just as open for criticism as any other player on this team, including Philip River's and some of the bonehead throws he's guilty of.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.