1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where are all the Padre fans?

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by tboltzcali, May 11, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I don't drink alcohol, but I plan to be in 'Dago 11-17 September, in between Special Ops conventions in Seattle and Vegas. You got summmpm to say/prove to me, you can do it then.

I stand behind what I've posted.

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    I love Bolttalk. :lol: :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Me too!! :tup:

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    Who's available right now, though?

I'd rather they not spend money just for the sake of spending money.

I'm all about bringing in an Andruw Jones (using him as an example) but the problem is, do the Padres have the trading tools to get a trade like that done? That i'm not so certain of.

That's another problem with the mess KT has created with his poor drafts. We're still a year or two away from Sandy/Fuson drafts to really start taking effect.

I don't follow the minors all too much, but from what I understand a lot of our low minors guys (ie. Fuson/Sandy guys) are doing pretty good.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6

My point is this, if the enitre League goes up in Payroll about the same amount, and when they said the payroll would go up after they got into Petco, I would like for the salary to reflect that. Instaed of staying int he middle of the pack, jump up a few notches at least!

What is brining in more $$$$$$$$ with more profit?

Those $45.00 Seats, or those $7.50 Beers?

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    I understand the frustration, I really do (although, you don't have to sit behind home plate or in the Toyota Terrace if you don't want to pay 45 bucks for a seat.)

But the fact remains that the money brought in via ticket/consession sales is nothing compared to the money media deals gives teams.

It's media deals that allows teams in larger markets to rake in the dough.

San Diego is surrounded by LA, Arizona, Mexico, and the Pacific ocean. This limits their marketability to San Diego and San Diego alone. Wheras teams such as the Cardinals can market their half of Missouri, Arkansas, Iowa, parts of Illinois..you get the point.

I don't feel like digging up the numbers right now, but the payroll jump from 2003 to 2004 was not on par with that of the rest of the league. It was pretty damn significant of a jump. And that was even with paying Ryan Klesko and Phil Nevin 10 mil a piece.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    hmmmmm:unsure:

My guess is the seats

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    All I got to do is bring you the sports page and show you the stats. Im sure you will agree with me by then that the padres arent as good as you claim them to be.
    Like I said, being a fan, I have a right to rip this team if I want to. I will do it with the padres and I will do it with the chargers. Difference is, the chargers have a talented team with alot of hope. The padres have a minor league talented team with your hopes.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that bloodshed and rending of flesh is a direct violation of the BoltTalk TOS.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    You seem pretty adamant on the Padres not going far this year.

Would you care to put a friendly wager on them making the playoffs?

I'm only talking a beer or two here, though. I wouldn't ask any self respecting Padres fan to bet money against them.

The payoff could be at a Chargers tailgater as I plan on trying to make it out for at least one game. If I can't then I guess the bet could be off.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Its the media deal that allows the Yankees to make thier whole payroll without having to put one person in a seat.

I mean there are 2 teams out there playing, why shouldnt they split the pot?

12. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    exactly:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    I agree.

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    You call the shot!

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    If they was televising from my stadium, I would be charging them for those rights!

But be prepared to pay those rights back when you play in thier house.

Then again a 3 Game vacation would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Padres need help before they die.

17. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0

We're sorry, you have reached a number that is no longer in service or is disconnected, please check your number and try again.:deadhorse:

That's 1-800-bea-tade(adhorse).

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    word - that the Pads are two games back in the latter part of May, when he assured one and all they'd compete for the 1st two weeks of the season, then disappear...and he seemed to relish (read wallow) in his prediction.

He needs a big cup of STFU.

19. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    If the padres had hitting, they would be leading the west. Thats my point. Doesnt matter, they can win 3 division titles in a row and if your sound with that, your a great fan. We just dont have the hitting to win a series. I think your being too much of a fan to understand that. Its all good. Im just telling the truth. The padres are not going to win a series until they get help. Our clutch hitting sucks.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    The Cardinals won the World Series without hitting in the playoffs.

And before you tell me they have Albert Puljos go look up their offensive stats from all three series.

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    BULLSHIT

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    I'd also like to point out that nobody is "satisfied with a division championship"

At least not to the degree of insinuating that they wouldn't care if the Padres won more or not.

People point out that they've won the last two to point out the Padres are obviously doing something right.

Once the palyoffs start it's anybody's game...the Cardinals proved that last year. They weren't exactly that great in the regular season, they backdoored their way into the playoffs.

Every Padre fan worth his salt would love to see the Padres win the World Series and it's a tad insulting for it to be suggested otherwise just because they, heaven forbid, get a bit gleeful over the Padres winning the NL West two years in a row for the first time ever.

23. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    :tup: :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Look up their RISP % something we lack.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    The Cardinals won the World Series off some of the best pitching I've seen in some time.

26. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    The last two division titles werent that convincing. WE actually tied with the dodgers last year and won it because of head to head. 2005 we had the worst record for a first place club and played like it in the playoffs. True the cardinals didnt have a "great season" last year but they did what they had to do to win. We just dont do that. We dont have the players. If it wasnt for a weak division, we wouldnt survive in any other division. lets take a look at the stats so far this year.....

Padres are 3rd in team strikeouts(319)
    Padres are 20th in homeruns(36)
    Padres are 23rd in RBI's(170)
    Padres are 28th in BA(.240)
    Padres are 26th in hits(358)
    Padres are 22nd in runs(183)
    However....

Padres are 1st in ERA
    Padres are 1st in OBA
    Padres are 1st in OSLG
    Padres are 1st in SB's allowed(50)

I dont know what else to tell ya guys but if you can sell this team on winning a world series with these stats, thats great. We pretty much lived with these stats the past two years and gave us only 1 victory in the playoffs. How much of a difference will it be this year? We are one game out of 1st as of today. Im sure we will catch the dodgers, but division titles arent a problem. Its what we do after. I know you guys say playoffs is anybodys game...just not the padres. They try to patch up and win cheap. Not gunna happen. But all and all, I will still wear their colors.

27. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    They also scored enough runs to win, which we didnt.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    Well, yeah, you do need to score more runs than the opposition to win a ballgame.

The Padres scored more runs than the Mariners today, somehow I don't think that'd stop you from ranting about how they left too many runners in scoring position.

No, of course it wouldn't. Because the Padres offense wasn't that great today, but the pitching was outstanding.

The story was the same for the Cardinals in the playoffs last year.

29. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes we get lucky. Its not the case all the time. Pretty much you can only count on two of our pitchers to pitch well enough to win with 2 runs. Its not going to happen everytime. Our offense sucks and were not going to survive with a .240 team BA. Dont get me wrong, Im pulling for Diego to win a series. But its hard to see it when our offense isnt mediocure.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    You're right, they're not going to give up less than 2 runs every game.

But you know what....even the Padres offense isn't going to score less than 2 runs everytime.

You can't have it both ways. You can't blow off St Louis's inability to hit in the playoffs by stating "yeah, well, they scored enough to win" and turn around and blow off San Diego winning a low scoring game saying "Yeah well, it won't always happen like that"

It won't always happen like that for anyone. Even the best teams in history lose at least 50-60 games a year.

The Padres are 1 game out of 1st place, they're once again "doing something right"

I'd love to have a better offense as much as the next guy, but if I had to choose between great pitching or great hitting...I'd take great pitching 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.