1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who are the Chargers talking to @ Senior Bowl?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 26, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    Kiper on Selvie.... Rating scale 1-4 (1 being best)

Intangibles 1- Leader who loves the game. Father served in the military during George's childhood. Won 2005 USF Overachiever Award for his outstanding work in the strength and conditioning program.

Pass Rush Skills 1 - Excellent initial quickness and ability to turn the corner. Stays balanced and does a good job of bending inside. Disruptive and flashes the ability to split double teams. Can get under offensive tackles and drive them back. Closing burst is a notch below elite bust still above average.

Athleticism/Versatility 3- Good-but-not elite athletic ability. Doesn't appear as fluid in space in brief looks at him dropping into coverage and we have concerns about his ability to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. At this point his best fit is clearly at defensive end in a base 4-3 scheme.

Versus the Run 2- Though not a phone-booth player and he gets engulfed at times, Selvie has rare strength for his size and is stout at the point of attack. Establishes position and gets adequate hand placement. Plays with good leverage and flashes the ability to shed blocks in time to make plays. Closes quickly when scraping down the line of scrimmage. Quicker than fast and lacks elite range but has adequate range and a good motor so he makes plays in pursuit.

Instincts/Competitiveness 1- Does an excellent job of anticipating the snap. Outstanding effort. Disciplined and does a good job of staying home when plays flow away from him. Tough and doesn't shy away from contact. Times jumps well and does a good job of getting hands up when he sees the quarterback start his throwing position.

To sum up Mel's point he's a pass rushing beast, and broke the NCAA record in tackles for loss. Projected to go in the mid-late 2nd round.
  4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    I have no concerns about Selvie's ability to move to a 3-4, as that scouting report reminds me a LOT of a young Aaron Kampman.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    The fact that they've looked at Perrish Cox says a lot to me. It says Cromarties time here could be close to over.

The problem is Cox is a Cromartie clone, prototypical height/weight/speed/ball skills, but questions about his technique and fluidity covering quick recievers, questions about his tackling and toughness....and it would probably take a 1st round pick to get him. Hope we pass.
  6. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    I hope they get around to Myron Rolle... We need smarter players. :yes:
  7. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Kampman isn't the model I'd be shooting for in a 4-3 DE being converted to a 3-4 OLB. Just Saying

My bigger issue with Selvie is that I see the same problem with him that Shaun Phillips has had; when he becomes the focus or gets double teamed he becomes COMPLETELY ineffective. He had a break out year, he gets alot more attention paid to him, and his sack and tackle numbers plummet. Ironically his teammate was ignored this year because everyone was focusing on Selvie and now HE'S in the same position Selvie was in last year (first round pass rushing talent).

And even if we lose Cromartie, do we need more cornerbacks? We'd have Jammer/Cason/Gregory/Hughes. Do we want more at any point outside of a depth pickup late?
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on CB Owusu-Ansah from Alabama in like the 5th round. Scouting reports show that he's not great at any one thing, but he's very solid at everything. Fast, fluid, locates the ball and has good hands....only knock is that he's transitioning from FS.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    Watching senior bowl now....at half the guys who have caught my eye.

Dan Williams is manhandling people, he gets great low leverage and forces double teams keeping the LB's clean. Mike Iupati who is supposedly the best O-linmen in the bowl game is getting tossed like a rag doll.
    Brandon Graham not very big, but damn near unblockable. He's got a spin that reminds me of Dwight Freeney, but is stocky like Jerome Harrison or Elvis Dumerville. Not sure he could play in 3-4 though.
    LeGarrette Blount Averaging nearly 7ypc after first half, the first guy to try to tackle him is overwhelmed. He's big, he's quick, he's incredibly motivated to run through people. He's living up to the hype.
    TJ Lang think Larry English, could be his clone.
  10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +319 / 1 / -0
    I'll say again, LAGARRETTE BLOUNT is a thug gangster, and I dont care if he is averaging 15 YPC I wouldn't want him here. Again, you can take the man out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the man.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    We'll your probably in the minority with that opinion. I agree that he's not worth anything higher than a 3rd round pick due to the character concerns, but later he'd come as a cheap low risk/high reward pick. And if it doesn't work out who cares? We didn't lose much.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...94/Senior-Bowl-Can-t-Miss-Play-Not-too-Blount
  12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    I would give him a chance, the Boise guy probably deserved the punch for the trash talking he was doing in Blounts face. Just because he punched a guy and he's black doesnt mean that he is in a hood...
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
  14. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +319 / 1 / -0

Give him a chance? This has nothing to do with being black, as I am the least prejudice person you will ever meet. If you knew anything about that game, you would know that Blount talked **** all the way up to game time. Then when he had it dished back at him he punches someone? Sorry but if you can dish it you better be able to take it. This is football, and there is a certain level of conduct that you need to use when on and off the field.

He clearly has none of that, and the fact that he was even let back into football is a travesty in itself. He not only punched the Boise St player, but tried to fight his own teammates who were trying to get him to chill, then tried fight fans as he was leaving the stadium. Somehow a 7th round pick wouldn't justify enough to me to give this guy a chance.
  15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    dude, with the exception of Toby Gerhardt I don't think there's another white running back in the draft. So let's not bring race into this, it just makes teh argument look moronic.

There's alot of fair questions regarding his mind set, his maturity and his temper; three things teams are staying more and more away from. If he can answer them at the combine and show some ability then maybe he could be drafted. If not AJ won't touch him and will get someone else.

Either way his race has nothing to do with it
  16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    this is what id like to see, since the chargers are shopping cromartie around i say trade him to the vikings for a 2nd and a 6th round pick so we could get this draftif darren sproles is leaveing we need to get something for him. if we could id like to give him to the dolphins only if the dolphins gave up another 3rd pick tehn we could add dexster mccluster to the list, also release jacob hester or ge rid of him put gerhart at fb mattews at rb, and mccluster 2nd string rb, to give us a backfield kinda like the LT sproles, and lo neal days who likes the idea
    1st: Dan williams, tenesee
    2nd: kyle wilson,boise state
    2nd; ryan matthew fresno state
    3rd: Dexster mccluster,ole miss i believe
    3rd: ciron black,lsu
    4th: toby gerhart, stanford
    5th: jordan shipley,texas
    6th: rodrick muckelroy, texas
    7th: fredy barnes,syracuse

with hope that barnes will fall that far, also im gettin kinda weary on merriman, idk what the chargers are gonna do but if they are gonna get him trade him away and get a 1 st and a 3rd if they can, if they cant get a 2nd and pick up jerry hughes, tcu