1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who gets to cover VJ??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    Or should I say "Who gets to get burned"....Cason or Jammer?? Either way, were screwed.
    You better be double-covering him all day(hell, maybe even triple with Weddle) because he's gonna wanna light us up....believe me you.
    He's gonna be look'n to stick it right in AJs' arse.
    Not really look'n forward to that. :(
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Norvember was fun while it lasted
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't really matter because the other CB has to cover Mike Williams. So unless the pass rush is going to suddenly become a monster, it will be up to the Chargers offense to keep pace and score at least 27pts.

So yeah, pretty much screwed but hold out hope that the Tampa defense remains as average as it has been.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Im guessing a little of both, fingers crossed they bring Carr into the mix.
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    * admin edit *

Post edited, not allowed. If you have a problem with the edit, send a personal conversation to ROBDOG.

*admin edit *
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    That's the analogy that you found most proper?
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't really feel the need to follow the dicta of good taste when posting on this message board.
  8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Even if it means letting Mike Williams rack up 225 receiving yards and 3 TDs or they just run the ball on us with that rookie RB (and we just outscore them, of course) I hope to all that there is to hope for that we find a way to shut VJ down.

Otherwise B4L will be 100,000 x more unbearable on facebook than he already is. (Especially if it comes with a loss)
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    OMG!!! I miss him so much!!! I wish we were mod-free here... just so he could return and be my prison beotch again!!
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I don't know how much you use facebook, if at all, but he's running rampant in Chargers related groups on there.
  11. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Watching VJ play against the Raiders. What on earth were the Chargers thinking when they let him go? As I recall, he said over and again that he wanted to stay in San Diego. Edited to add: he just snagged a TD pass. What a talented receiver!
  12. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Mike, I was a bit out of touch during the off season. What was the reasoning behind letting this superstar go?
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    They were thinking that J. Johnson, Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem > VJ, in terms of player productivity/dollar.
  14. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    If they were thinking at all, they must've been thinking of dollars only. I can't think of a better receiver in the NFL than Vincent Jackson.
  15. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    I'm so angry about losing him that I almost want to see him burn the Bolts, even though I've been a faithful fan since the days of Hadl and Alworth.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    NEVER buy into a professional athlete staring at potential millions claiming that he "really wants" to stay in (current team's city).

That's a sham. If that's truly what his top priority was he would have taken the tag that he was offered in the year he sat out and then negotiated a team friendly deal.

When an athlete in contract negotiations says something like that it's all PR nonsense designed to paint the team's front office as the bad guys who don't want to keep the fan favorite in town....and, sadly, it usually works like a charm.

The caveat that Vincent conveniently left out when he said that was "....at the right price".

Now, I'm not saying it wasn't still in AJ's and the team's best interest to give him that right price, but let's not pretend Vincent Jackson is the innocent victim here who really wanted to stay in San Diego but AJ for whatever reason flat out didn't want him here.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't think Jackson helped his case any with his DUIs, but consider that Smitty dumped his tender from 3.14 mil to 600k. I think that if Smitty's main concern had been maintaining a positive business relationship that he wouldn't have reduced the tender. See the Steelers and Mike Wallace.
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Smitty took his usual foot-stamping stance when VJ didn't sign the tender.

I'm not saying it wasn't a stupid move, but it's also not a case of AJ just flat out not wanting him at all (as it's often made out to be).

He reduced the tender as a "punishment" not as a way of saying he just didn't want him.
  19. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Of course he wanted a good contract! The question here is the final part of your post, which I've highlighted. AJ seems to let his personal feelings get involved too much and does things that go against the best interests of the team.

This move is turning out to be penny wise and pound foolish for the Chargers. Just think of the money the team is losing! Think of all of those empty seats at the stadium that would be full if we still had an exciting offense with players like VJ and Sproles on the roster.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Calvin Johnson
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    AJ Green

are all unquestionably better. Julio Jones and Roddy White probably are, too. I think there are many players in the league who are more productive, but not necessarily "better". I think there are several receivers who are "just as good" as VJ.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    And, of course, I should have added in that post that it worked like a charm with VJ and AJ certainly didn't help matters.

But the bottom line is, if staying San Diego truly was Vincent's top priority as he made it out to be it wouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place because he would have signed the tender instead of walking out on the team over money.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I'm not saying AJ wasn't stupid in the turn of events. I'm just saying don't be naive enough to believe Vincent truly wanted to stay in San Diego.

He may have wanted to stay in San Diego.....but only if it came at the right price.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing to expect in his shoes, either. But, at the end of the day, his top priority is his contract, not staying in San Diego.
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that when you start punishing your players in that way, that it can't be viewed as part of an amicable business relationship. Behaving this way certainly wasn't a sign that he wanted to work with him, rather that he expected Jackson to do whatever he wanted because of the DUI issues.
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I'd like to reiterate the point that I'm not condoning the asinine way in which AJ handled the situation and am only arguing that, contrary to what he told the public, Vincent Jackson's top priority was not to remain in San Diego.
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    It was the same bullshit when Drew Brees left.

"I really want to finish my career in San Diego".

Bullshit, Drew. If that is what you REALLY want and is your TOP priority you take the millions of dollars being offered to you to maintain that desire. You don't take the offer from the other team just because it's a lot more millions.

Likewise, if Vincent Jackson REALLY wanted to stay in San Diego he'd take the >3 million offered to him and then the subsequent offer he'd no doubt get after not putting AJ into a position where AJ will be his dumbass foot-in-the-ground self.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to be paid top dollar. It's an open market so that's how it works. Just don't feed me bullshit lies when I know it's not the case.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    AJ's arrogance and childish behavior have left this team in the sorry state it's in right now. How sad! Add my name to the multitude that would love to see him fired.
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    When my wife put in her request for her new duty station, she was asked to prioritize both within and between ship type, job, and homeport. This was her priority:
    San Diego, Mayport (Fla), Pearl Harbor, and Rota, Spain.
    OPS, WEPS, CSO
    DDG, FFG, CG

She really wanted to be on a Destroyer, but being in San Diego was most important to her. However, she would rather have been on a DDG in Mayport, Fla than a troop transport in San Diego. Something can be a top priority for you, but if you have to give up too much in order to meet your top priority, it loses its luster.
  28. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Nobody's going to play for peanuts just to stay in San Diego. We're lucky to have had Antonio Gates playing for us for all these years. Remember when Smith gave him that ultimatum prior to the 2005 season? If cooler heads hadn't prevailed, AJ surely would have let him go elsewhere.
  29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I disagree.

The type of ship was obviously top priority to her over the station.

She was forced to choose between DDG in Mayport or troop transport in San Diego and chose the former, which shows that the type of station was more important to her than the location.

Something can be important to you and still lead to you giving it up based off other factors, but if it's not the deciding factor over all else then it's not the TOP priority.
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Again, I'm not faulting Vincent for making his decision nor am I disagreeing that AJ was stupid for playing it the way he did. You're preaching to the choir here.

All I'm saying is, Vincent's top priority was salary, not staying in San Diego.

And 3 million dollars is hardly peanuts. Nor is the contract he likely would have gotten had he not held out.

edit: just realized this was in response to my post about Drew Brees. He definitely wasn't offered peanuts. He was offered something like 10 mil per year. He just had to prove he was healthy to get most of it.

And you can't blame the Chargers for that one at all. They had Rivers sitting behind him so they weren't in a position to guarantee that much money to someone who might not even be healthy enough to compete.