1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who should be the next Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Nov 21, 2011.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Again... two completely different offenses? Bratkowski's offense really wasn't that far off from a Coryell-based scheme, and to be honest, the whole "continuity" shtick has run its course. The coach changes the system changes, that's the way its supposed to go. You don't limit your coaching candidate pool just to people who run schemes identical to what you do or have run before - that's exactly how you end up with schmucks like Norv, Fat Teddy, and Manusky. Rivers and our receivers and our RB's and our TE are capable of functioning in a West Coast Offense, which is the only different varietal offense Zimmer's seen run during his tenure in Cincy.

Meanwhile, Zimmer's run both 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes in the past and has ties to several proven DC's who could be brought in to pair with him (notably Mike Nolan who actually would inject some aggression into this defense and is a quality coordinator).

I agree he's worth the risk, I'm just not sure as I see as much "risk" in a 1st-timer versus a re-tread that you do. Especially when this is a team in dire need of a identity/paradigm shift and those tend to come far more with the first-time guys (for better or worse) than with the re-treads.
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 19 / -5
    I want the Norv who coached against the Jaguars.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Oh and I agree but I think the schemes we run now are just fine..

The coaching staff just has to get our players mentally ready to execute.. Norv hasn't done that all season.. there were still some plays last night that justifies that.. Thats why he needs to lose his job..

Cincy is hitting a decline defensively though they just got scorched for 35 points by Pitt.. I want to see a coach run a 4-3 defense here in San Diego.. I would like to see Phillips in the DE position.. and we have Garay and Thomas who are really coming into their own the last few weeks.. We just need that other LB/DE, ex. Barnes, pick up a guy like Mario Williams draft maybe Curry or something of that nature! and Butler showed last night what kind of player he will be and really all season believe he is the leading tackler..
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I want Mike Nolan as DC but only if he wears a suit on the sidelines :inlove:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I was going to add in that he be required to chain-smoke at least a pack per game too. Screw being PC... we need to be edgy. Like the center on my intramural flag football team that smokes while he's snapping the ball and a blocking.
  6. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    Since we're going old school - a fedora is now also required attire. Plus, when he walks onto the field at gametime they can play "sharp dressed man" :x3:
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'd kinda like the Mississippi bluesman string tie. They can play "Hellhounds on my Trail". :devilish:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You really need to temper your expectations.

1) Could whoever the new coach is continue to implement the Coryell or bring in a coordinator who runs a Coryell-variant offense? Sure. But keeping specifically the Coryell offense isn't (or I should say "shouldn't") be a major factor in who the hire is. Rivers is a big boy and smart, he can succeed in virtually any offensive system other than the kind of college offenses Denver has run lately (e.g. option, pistol, etc.). A West Coast offense plays as much to Rivers' strengths (his ability to make reads mid-dropback and get the ball out quickly) as much as the Coryell does (i.e. the accuracy on his deep ball).

2) We don't have the personnel to run most 4-3 schemes. In fact, high quality 4-3 RDE's are more difficult to find and retain than 3-4 OLB's. At best we could hope to run a 4-3 Over similar to what Seattle uses (and Baltimore also shows elements of this) with three larger-sized downed linemen, three multi-faceted LB's, and a LEO (primary pass-rusher who is typically an undersized DE capable of playing out of either a two or three-point stance but typically not renown for his run-stopping abilities - see Elvis Dumerville type). Garay's a free agent and if, particularly if we switch to a 4-3, he's not worth a Top 5 positional contract if he demands such.

3) Just don't even bother bringing up Mario Williams. The chances of him hitting free agency in 2012 are literally absolute zero. At minimum Houston will franchise tag him - that's actually the likely scenario since he's recovering from a knee injury and they'll want to be certain he recovers to full productivity before sinking the kind of guaranteed money it would take to keep him - so the only way to acquire him will be via trade and that trade would cost any team acquiring Mario darn near Herschel Walker type compensation (multiple 1st's and likely the first 3 rounds worth of picks in the most immediate draft).
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    Flavor of the month now in the NFC Championship game....
    • Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    Flavor of the month now in the Super Bowl.
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Calling Harbaugh a "flavor of the month" was probably unwarranted, but we also shouldn't be talking about him (even without the benefit of what we know now regarding the coaching search). It's water under the bridge and looking backwards....a loser mentality.

To suggest we may not be able to recover from passing on him (as if it was even in the bag that he would have been the hire had we fired Norv that year...) is a huge speculative stretch.

Harbuagh is a good coach (both of them, don't need to state a first name) but they're not the only good coaches that will come to the NFL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    A loser mentality is a guy who starts the thread called "head coaching changes don't always work" and starts blathering about how we should be happy about going 9-7 and missing the playoffs because 10 years ago it would have been nice.

No one is suggesting we can't recover, don't put words in my mouth, I really like the Mike McCoy hire. I'm merely pointing out the obvious, which is that Norv is a loser, that we wasted too many seasons lying to ourselves about it and delaying the inevitable, and that I was right about Jim Harbaugh.

Your desire to move forward and ignore the past is typical of someone who knows they put their foot in their mouth.
    • Old Old x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Why dont you attempt to learn to let stupid interweb spats of the past remain in the past? You have nothing to prove about any coach, nor does Lance19.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I don't disagree, but I've also never been a big fan of fan obsession with things that are water under the bridge "We should have gotten this guy!". Who cares? We can't now so let's look forward, not backward.

I didn't put those words in your mouth. They were just said and I responded to it.

How did I put my foot in my mouth? I'm not the one who called Harbaugh the "flavor of the month". So, who's putting words in who's mouth here?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    LOL because we spent a lot of time on this topic, I was insulted many times my many people, why would I just give them (or YOU) a pass when I ended up being 100% right?

Maybe I should show a little more class by letting you all just tuck tail and pretend you were on board with firing Norv for years, but thats just not me. This is where I tell you to suck my
    • Old Old x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    Where did I say we can't recover? Please by all means quote to me where I said those words.

Sorry about the foot in mouth comment, you have the same avatar as Concudan, or close too it, it threw me off. Please disregard that one.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Right? You are right? If you feel like more of a man for your stupid arguing on the interwebs then good for you. Thought it speaks poorly of your maturity, at least you have something...:laugh:

To claim anything from a second year head coach is speculative to say the least. How much victories did you claim over Whizenhut? :roflmao:
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    You didn't, and I never said you did.

Nickelbolt said it, and I quoted the post.
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    I can live with that.:tup:
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Come on, now. Don't pull a BOLTS4LIFE here.

The vast majority of this board and most Chargers fans in existence didn't like Norv. Most of them from day 1, with many many more joining as the years went on (especially from 2010 forward).
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    I don't put most in the category of Norv super fans. There were a few people (like Sydalish) who disagreed but did it like adults. Its really just a select 4 or 5 people here that I'm talking to who started arguments culminating in 3rd grade name calling every time the topic was brought up. And they know who they are.
  23. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0

Gosh Mat stop being such a poopy pants... Norv was the bees knees~ :p

I for one am REALLY looking forward to a little less animosity amongst the fanbase for a bit. At least while we're still in the new GM/HC honeymoon phase. All that really matters is that these changes translate into wins, so maybe sometime before we all meet our maker we can rock out to some Queen and throw a parade downtown. For all we disagree on, we can all agree that the Chargers bringing a Lombardi home to San Diego is the ultimate goal, no matter who's steering the ship.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    Lance19 said:
    I totally get that Harbaugh is the Flavor of the Month, but don't you think it's a
    little early to be pronouncing him an awesome NFL coach? Nine NFL wins,
    against so-so competition, hardly an NFL legend makes. Yes, nice start, Mr. Harbaugh,
    but I'll wait a couple seasons to see if he's a flash in the pan. NOVEMBER 2011
    Let me get this straight, Matty: You're trying to take the circumstances in January 2013,
    namely that Jim Harbaugh has just pulled off a nice come from behind victory to get the 49ers
    into the Super Bowl, to try to attack a comment I made 14 months previously,
    (when Jim Harbaugh had not yet won a single playoff game) that it might make sense to
    wait to declare him "an NFL legend"? Really? Waiting to see if a coach's early success
    can be sustained is something that upsets you? Incidently, I said the same thing to those who
    were also trying to put Rex Ryan in Canton based on his early results. As of NOW, yes, I think
    Harbaugh's made an even better case for himself than the "nice start" I acknowledged in 2011.
    But I still think it's a bit early to immortalize him yet...that's just me...I really value perspective.

p.s. So, let me get this straight: you trolled all the way back to 2011, to try to make it
    look like I was dissing Harbaugh in 2013? That's sad, even by your low standards, Matty.

p.p.s. Some may to be reading a little something extra into the phrase "Flavor of the Month":
    I used it merely to note that, in Nov. 2011, Harbaugh was the toast of the town, the hot coach who most in the league envied. He was super popular. My point was that there was no way to know if that would last (many faux know-it-alls were drawing grand conclusions from those first 10 games, declaring that Harbaugh winning 9 of them was some kind of unquestionable predictor.)
    Since I'm not aware of any NFL coach winning 90% of his games, (or any coach in this era even winning 65% overall) I argued that Harbaugh's early pace--cited as "proof" by many--
    was in fact unrealistic. Now, Harbaugh has done great since I made that 2011 post.
    But even in greatness, my point--that 90% was a ridiculous predictor--has been born out...
    from that point to now, his regular season record has been an awesome 15.5 & 6.5 = 70%.
    I didn't think 90% was a realistic expectation, and 70%, over time, would be mind-blowing as well.
    At any rate, "Flavor of the Month" wasn't intended as an insult, it was an acknowledgement that his 90% winning rate made him phenomenally popular in Nov. 2011, but that was no guarantee of long term awesomeness. Harbaugh definitely bolstered his resume in 2012...but I'll still let him win a Super Bowl or two before I start mentioning him with the all time greats...as I posted 14 months ago... :)
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    I'm reminding you that you were as emphatically wrong about Harbaugh as you were about your hard on for Norv.

Thats all. I'm not trying to immortalize anyone, just rub it in your arrogant condescending pompous old man face a little. You acted like an a*shole on more than just this thread, you think I'm just going to forget it, let you off the hook so you can continue to walk around with your nose in the air? Heck no grandpa, its long past time to take you down a peg.

It was easy to find this thread by the way, the words flavor of the month rang a bell for me today. All you have to do is search the words and badda bing.
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    No, you still don't get it.
    I praised Harbaugh in 2011.
    But I also said that I believe in waiting and seeing beyond a coach's first 10 games, to declare him a legend.
    That's what I said (oh, and yes, I still haven't passed final judgement on Harbaugh yet).
    If you can't handle that, that's really your problem.

As far as all your schoolyard trash talk, save it for someone who values your opinion enough to give a damn.
    (I don't even care enough to give you your lil' red X) :p
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,155 / 37 / -21
    You're trying awful hard to minimize this to the realm of Jim Harbaugh and nothing else, but you know as well as I do that the COACHING conversation started long before November 2011;), and strings across multiple threads that would take a lot more time to dig up. But I guess mind blowing arrogance comes with a side of selective memory.

Lets just sum this up simply... You are wrong a lot, so acting like a douchebag when you disagree with people is probably not the way to go. That goes for Conc and Blue as well.
  28. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Come on Lance! Cut the kid some slack. Everyone knows that Billick and Switzer are the best coaches evah because they won a superbowl, not at all the flavor of the month in their months... ;) He is correct, there is no need to look at the total body of work before proclaiming coaches great...

Besides, Matty wont listen/read what you post, he doesn't do 'looking at both sides' thing well. ;)
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    Wow, Matty, it takes some serious cognitive dissonance to follow the ugly ad hominem
    posts you just wrote with "...so acting like a douchebag when you disagree with people is probably not the way to go."

Let's review: My (2011) Harbaugh point was that it's too early to tell if he belongs in Canton...I stand by that.

You also brought up the issue of how much head coaches really matter. I still think that most fans (including you)
    irrationally overestimate this...the evidence is overwhelming that 99% of coaches do well with good rosters, and do
    poorly with bad ones. Will Harbaugh do as well when he doesn't have as much talent as he inherited in SF?
    Only time will tell.

In short, when Harbaugh burst on to the scene at 9-1 in 2011, a lot of people immediately jumped
    on his bandwagon. Now you want to be patted on the head for saying that you also liked 9-1. :) Wow...bold! :rolleyes:
    If that's as close to being 'proven right' as you can find, okay, Matty, pat yourself on the head. :oops:

I know you're still mad at me for pointing out your dishonesty, re. your previous posts, but name-calling
    (followed immediately by arguing against "acting like a douchebag") and trying to misrepresent a
    14 month old post is low, even by Matty "standards." Enough time wasted on this, Matty. No mas.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    yesterday you were whining about people calling you names. Today you illustrate what everyone knows. You are the one who calls names when your inerweb spats dont go your way. I know you are an e-thug behind the screen, cause being a thug in real life hurts.