1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who should be the next Charger HC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +751 / 5 / -0
    Maybe the better question would be, who hired Norv? Was it AJ, Spanos, or both?
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    According to AJ's official spokesmen, Kevin Acee, it was AJ
    • Like Like x 1
  3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    Like I said before The AJ needs to go before any serious HC will ever consider coming here , even an unknown with a brilliant talent will shun the thought of working for / with Smith!
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    With only 32 of these jobs on earth, very few will turn down the opprotunity. Only the veterans like Fisher or Gruden would consider the GM as a reason to not take the job. The rest will jump all over the opprotunity.

With that said, I hope AJ is gone also
  5. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    I dunno why not take a lesser role like with a coach like Ryan Harbaugh Bilichick etc. and learn from the best VS being some asshats yes man which would kill your future career.
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Great question. I also am wondering why the silence from AJ. Maybe little Spanos has taken over the draft selection and AJ does not approve. Maybe AJ has had enough of the Spanos and is playing mum while riding out his time. Maybe this dissatisfaction has trickled down to the coaching and to players. Could this be the result of the Spanos cancer spreading?
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Acee now has a man crush on little Spanos. He will throw AJ under the bus to get his lips around little Spanos. Acee sees the writing on the wall and just like a whore he has switched to team Spanos.

Quoting Acee....
    "John Spanos certainly does not deserve the blame. Yes, A.J. Smith has final say on all draft picks. he takes input, but he is most definitely the one who makes personnel decisions ... And, honestly, whether someone begins a question with a compliment or with a challenge such as yours makes no difference. In fact, challenges are stupid."
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    1st, Coordinators make a couple hundred thousand while head coaches make ~$2-4mil. 2nd, as I said, there are only 32 of these jobs available. They may think "What if I never get another chance" and will jump all over it
  9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Or maybe he just doesn't have the balls to admit that he has made HUGE mistakes
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    I still stand by my opinion that Fisher is the scum of the earth. Or are we forgetting that this is effectively the same coach who put the hit out on Merriman because Vince Young didn't have the wherewithal to not run headlong into LO after making a hand-off?

Fisher's philosophy of hard, physical, ultra-aggressive play is to my liking but the man takes it too far and doesn't know how to moderate it necessarily. People forget that under Fisher the Titans were habitually among the league leaders annually in collecting personal fouls.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    The guy's admitted that mistakes have been made on the parts of many, himself included. Is it really necessary he use the word "huge" before that admitting is deemed acceptable?

Look, I would like the guy's tenure as our GM to be done as well, but the amount to which people want to unreasonably pile on the guy and scapegoat him for everything that's wrong past, present, and future with this organization is absurd. This is not a one-man or even two-man problem. It's a problematic organizational culture.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
    SECOND !!!!!!
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Exactly.
  14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    My staff would look like this..

HC - Winston Moss (Pakcers), Chuck Pagano (Ravens), Rob Ryan (Cowboys), Rich Bisaccia
    DC - Dom Capers (Packers), John Pagano, Steve Wilks
    OC - Clarence Shelmon, Marty Mornhinweg (Eagles), Greg Roman (49ers)
    ST - Rich Bisaccia

All in order..
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The only past I blame him for is the last 4 years. The 3 years prior to that I was on the "In AJ we trust" bandwagon.

This is not a one man problem, but he is as high on the totem pole as we are going to get (Dean isn't going anywhere). So everyone from AJ down to the position coaches deserve plenty of blame. Firing AJ and Norv and we will get the wholesale change that is needed
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Just curious, what has Shelmon done to show he can be a good OC? I am not saying that he can't, but Norv has been the play caller and real OC since a few weeks after Shelmon was promoted
  17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    You do realize that the only way we could get Dom Capers would be to offer him a promotion or the pack lets him go? So as I recall he is already the DC of the packers, he is not eligible to take the same position here.
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I have seen multiple places that he is a free agent after this season. If that is true, no pay raise would be needed. But I doubt he would leave GB, who will likely offer him another extension, to go to another team in the same position
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Also, the Packers D is very shaky in most games.
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It was one of the best last year. Not sure what has changed
  21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we get lucky and the Colts fire Bill Polian?? If that happened it would be a second opportunity in as many years for Spanos to win the favor of the fans (the first was not pursuing Jim Harbaugh - duh).
  22. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Because the Colts are soo full of talent behind Manning?
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I would keep Shelmon because he knows the personnel.. he has yet to call a play lol its all Norv calling the plays..
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Yes Capers contract is up after this year.. and you never know man.. if we can get Winston Moss here we can certainly get Capers here..
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Ok makes sense then... Still not sold on his D though. It seems very mid stream to me... But I am not sold on Manusky either.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I know I will prob get **** for this.. but Woodson looks like hes coming of age.. looks like he lost a step since last year even with 6 picks..

The reason to me why they get so many points scored against is because of the offense's success.. they'll take it right down the field 80 yards in 5 minutes or so.. that offense isn't a very good running team and will just throw there way down the field giving the defense almost no rest..

they only give up about 20 points a game.. they've held opponents to 20 points or less 5 times.. that'd be an upgrade from what we currently have done this year.. and have let up only 2 or less touchdowns in 7 games..
  27. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    I'm not really sold on AJ anymore either, but one thing that always gets me is when people parrot what they've read on the internet and/or heard on TV about how "Norv has all the talent in the world but can't win with it" and falls for the overblown idea that anybody could have won with this team but Norv is holding them back....but in the next breath they want to fire the GM? If the team is so super talented that the only thing holding back is a horrible head coach why do you want to fire the person responsible for acquiring the talent?

That being said, I'm not that sold on AJ (anymore) because I simply do not think this team is nearly as talented as many make them out to be.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    1st choice

HC - Mike Zimmer
    OC - Ken Whisenhunt (if he gets fired), Ken Zampese if Whisenhunt isnt available (Bengals QB Coach)
    DC - John Pagano - Should of been given a chance before Manusky

2nd Choice
    HC - Chuck Pagano (Ravens DC)
    OC - Cam Cameron if he gets Fired
    DC - John Pagano (would AJ/dean cared if Chuck hired his brother?)
  29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    Not sure if AJ would care but prescedent shows Dean would care.

But who knows?
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Beyond that, it's just a completely unrealistic lineup of coaches. Why would Capers be interested in a lateral hire? He's not going to leave Green Bay just so that he can be a DC somewhere else. People don't seem to get that, it's one of Capers or Moss, you can only hire one because the only way either is leaving where they're presently at is for a HC gig.

Shelmon hasn't done anything to justify a spot as anything more than a RB coach - and even then I don't think he's really that great to write home about. Wilks is... yeah, no... sorry. Wilks is one of the problems on the coaching staff. I could justify keeping someone like Don Johnson (our DL coach) over Wilks.

I'm more on board with what Rip's proposing. A lot might depend on how much defensive play-calling experience John Pagano has, but to be honest finding a worthwhile defensive coordinator is the least of my worries if we hired a defensive-minded HC. Mike Nolan's likely to be freed up after the Dolphins clean house of Sparano and his staff at the end of the season, and he would make a really good fit as well. Replace Wilks with one of our own - go pluck Gil Byrd off Chicago's staff where for some reason he was demoted from DB's coach to Asst. DB's coach. Primary among almost anything else is get a more-than-capable OL coach - as we BADLY need one. Sparano is going to be available - though I'd argue that the Cowboys actually upgraded their line coaching going from Sparano to Houck. Andy Heck should be available after Del Rio gets the axe - though it will be interesting to see how much Wayne Weaver tries to keep the Jacksonville staff together. Or just grab Wes Phillips of the Cowboys' staff, who has been working under the guy we never should have let leave on a lateral hire to begin with in Hudson Houck. As to secondary... if not Byrd, Todd Bowles, anyone?