1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who Will Be Our Coach Next year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BIll Trollberg, Dec 9, 2011.

?

Who Should the Next Chargers Coach Be?

1. Norv Turner

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Bill Cowher

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Rob Ryan

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. John Gruden

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Peyton Manning(if he retires)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Mike Singaltary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vic Fangio

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Andy Reid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jack Del Rio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wade Phillips

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BIll Trollberg

BIll Trollberg BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With the norv turner era finally ending in San Diego and 5 years wasted, who do you think will be the best coach for our team going forward? Who do you see Spanos hiring? I've heard lots of Rumors about Bill Cower coming back to coaching and taking the SD Job. AJ smith would presumably be fired in this scenario and Cowher would get front office power as well. What do you guys think?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    I don't think any coach out there is gonna make us a SB contender next year. It'll probably take 3 years but hopefully we should get back to dominating the division again next year. For that I want Jon Gruden/Bill Cowher. If a new HC is needed I'll take Mike Zimmer out of Cincy or Les Miles out of LSU.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Norv......... #imjustsaying ;)

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -0
    Wasn't there a very similar thread about this very same subject?

5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    Anyone else get a N4L vibe?

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,724 / 39 / -8
    No not N4L, but definitely multi material.

7. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Lot of good candidates (and maybe more llikely ones) not in the poll.

Ones like ChuckPagano, Winston Moss, Mike Zimmer, etc...

Of the list i would prefer Cowher because the likelihood there is that we'd be getting a new GM too (I can't see him coming to work for AJ considering loyalties to Marty, and this may bring Omar Khan as new GM).

I think the most likely of the list is Andy Reid, which in my view wouldn't be bad, but we could probably find a better fit.

8. joeyjoe22

joeyjoe22 ECBOLTF

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Bill Cowher grew up in Pittsburgh worshiping the Steelers, why would he ever choose another team?

9. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't take any of the choiced mentioned above. Moss and Capers from GB would be my choice for HC & DC. No more retreads!!

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -0
    Todd Haley? j/k

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    LOL Nice. Especialy the other guy in the background with a shat eatin grin.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -0
    ^Watch out for that pen! He is a master in Penpo karate...

14. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    if both AJ and Turner are gone I think Cowher will be hired. I don't know if its a good hire but who knows this season has been such a huge clusterfuck...

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    PEYTON MANNING!!!

Actually, Peyton as OC and Coop as DC would be ideal and obviously the most likely solution with John Madden as HC.

16. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    There are not words for how much I love this. #angrynorv

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -0
    How about Sparano? I heard he is throwing his resume around... j/k

Angry Norvs=Angry Birds?

18. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    Interview Rob Ryan!

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    I'm jelous of these teams moving forward getting a jump on the coaching market.

If we do lose to Baltimore this week and we are officially eliminated, there is absolutely no reason to keep Norv another week.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree with matilak. If we lose this week we need to get rid of Norv right away. I heard Cowher has a daughter going to school somewhere in SoCal. He could be closer to her, good incentive. I'd also vote for Gruden.

21. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    For what it's worth, being twitter and all - but LasVegasLance is a reporter for AM720 in Vegas so he's more likely to have legit "sources" than your average joe...

epadaon: hmmm RT @LasVegasLance: My source says the SD Chargers are talking to Jon Gruden to coach the Chargers next year... We'll see... (11 minutes ago from TweetDeck)

• Like Like x 1
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Now with Miami looking at Fisher and Cowher, Dean needs to make a move quick. This is what gets him and this organization in so much trouble. His procrastination to move forward sooner rather than later could cost him Cowher or Fisher along with the desired OC/DC. Although, I think it could be Fisher to Miami as AJ hired Tom Donahue (who was with Pitt with Cowher) might stay on as GM. He does have experience and Dean is familiar with him.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    I'd like to see a new medical and training staff to go along with AJ and Norv.

• Like Like x 3
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3

Hells yea well not the AJ part. Im not giving up him this year unless BC is gonna take that gig and preferably he brings in a talented Coordinator to try out at HC some one like a Morris or a Tomlin would be worth the risk. OR Ill roll the dice now on Gruden, he would at least be a upgrade over what we had.

But please!! let our Medical and Fitness staff go!! Chow SUCKS! It has been proven and it has been proven he is shady. WTF is he still hired here for!!! I can wait on Norv, but I would stand up and cheer if I heard we were axin Chow before season end.

They have been cause for at least half of the players we have had who missed post season play. LT was self inflicted for tryin to play through a groin tear and the bige giveup (should have got the shot in the lockerroom and been back out a few series later) and could have been a factor in 08 post season.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    OK, I keep seeing his name brought up so much by people and it baffles me. Other than the fact that he's "fiery" and he got a ring with Dungy's team in Tampa (before proceeding to dismantle it over the rest of his tenure), what is it that so many of you see in him that makes you think he's so great?

I listen to the man talk and he sounds like a pontificating buffoon.

26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    This is exactly what I was wondering when I started to notice how FAST fans were to come around about Gruden. Last I heard he was a dufus and got lucky. And from what I have heard of his analasis of a live game.....

"This *insert random player who is known for being great at times* guy is Great! *in a tone to imply he was the first to state thus* He just keeps gettin better and better Jaws."

I see it as simply the truth: he is a improvement over Norf. He also doesnt exactly seem like he would be another damn YES man for AJ. I am hoping the new coach primarily is decided by higher up than AJ. Provided that AJ survives the houseclean to come.

I want Cowher as GM and maybe Gruden could be a effective YES man to him if Cowher would work with him that is.

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    I really think it will be a big name hire just because the team needs to fire up the fan base for the upcoming stadium vote. If it's going to be one of those guys I would prefer Cowher to Gruden.

I am up in the air on Gruden. Yes, he took over a team built by Dungy, but Dungy couldn't get that team over the hump and he did. Granted, he got the best matchup in the Super Bowl he could have hoped for. But let's not forget that the Raiders weren't doing much when he showed up there, and he turned them into a contender. He got them to the AFC Championship twice, getting hosed with the Tuck Rule or he would have been in the Super Bowl. And his team did get to the Super Bowl under Callahan.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    See... I don't see him as an improvement over Norv in any respect other than that he has a personality.

I could give two tins of bat dung whether my coach is personable so long as that doesn't limit his ability to connect with, communicate with, and motivate his players. Belichick has the personality of a cardboard box most of the time. The Tuna was by and large looked like he was the inspiration for Jeff Dunham's puppet Walter. Mike Tomlin is stonefaced most of the time and far from happy-go-lucky. All of those guys were/are great coaches though.

I go back and look at Gruden and he does everything that we keep saying we want to get away from. He doesn't make effective in-game adjustments. He continues to ride favorite veterans past their prime and rarely ever actually develops the young talent on the team (that now that he's a commentator he apparently "loves" so much). He effectively rode the tails of his defensive coordinators in both head coaching gigs.

I just really have to question if people who are clamoring for Gruden have actually followed his career or are just enamored by the glitz of his Super Bowl ring and his segments with the QB prospects (which most competent offensive coordinators and even head scouts across the league could facilitate just as easily/well) on NFL Network leading up to the draft. Gruden is Norv with a personality (and yes, he was a yes man... to the Gladwells and their desire to rarely if ever spend) which basically makes him... Kevin Gilbride... need I say more?

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Pretty damn well said. I hope you wont need to elaborate for anyone.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    **** John Gruden.