1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who would improve our team the most

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 3, 2011.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    1. Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
    2. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame
    3. Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
    4.Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
    5. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson
    6. Robert Griffing III QB Baylor

i know the last 2 are like wtf, but ive seen mock drafts with them going to us, so i was just wondering everyone's opinions, i personally think Manti or Courtney would be most beneficial

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 19 / -4
    Out of that list based on what we need, it would be Upshaw

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually, Loren I'd disagree. Kirkpatrick is the biggest difference maker in that group. From a pure talent standpoint and just from a versatility standpoint. I'm still convinced that DK's future in the NFL is at safety. That said, he makes an absolute IDEAL pairing to Weddle. He can drop down into the slot and short-zones and cover slot receivers and TE's. He's not averse to laying the wood on hits in any way whatsoever. And he's a willing and capable blitzer as well as a competent enforcer over the top. He needs to add some bulk but then what CB to Safety prospects don't?

Upshaw is complete blue-collar. He brings a fantastic attitude, tenacity, and skill-set to this team. That said, the posed question was who brings the most to this team and for my part I'll give potential and upside at least the benefit of the doubt to be reached, and in that instance Kirkpatrick blows Upshaw (and almost everyone else mentioned) out of the water.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 19 / -4
    I also said my decision was based on need at those positions. While it might be time to add some CBs to our group (along with Simmons, Wright & Gilchrist), I think we desperately need a solid OLB more then any other position. And as such based on that group Upshaw would be the most improved.

My personal list would look more like

1. J Martin
    2. C Upshaw
    3. D Kirkpatrick
    4. M Floyd
    5. everyone else

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I respect both opinions, out of the list above, its hard to choose, my personal list would be
    1. Manti teo
    2. Dre Kirkpatrick
    3. C upshaw
    4.Alshaun Jefferey
    5.Dwayne Allen

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    It's time that we stopped looking at need over BPA with regards to 1st round picks.

This squad needs playmakers. Impact guys who don't need a lot of coaching up to be productive. The 1st round is where you expect to find those guys. Hint: that's why it's called the first round. ;)

We have plenty of needs but I'm not at all sold that there's a truly impact OLB in this class that we should spend our 1st on, particularly when our pick is looking ever more likely to fall into at least the top 12.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -0
    Instead of looking at positions of need, what positions do we definitely not need, imo, QB, RB (both FB and HB), Punter, Center and OT (if Gaither can move to right side). Then pick BPA of any position that isn't one of these

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Gaither's motivation issues have already been tied to him being moved to ROT when he wants to play LOT. I don't suddenly see where moving to the Chargers changes that.

I'd go BPA at ANY position outside of QB, RB, or a kicker/punter. And I don't see that pick being an OLB worthy of the value.

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 19 / -4
    Change in his situation, going from a major cog in the Ravens offense to being twice cut and given the chance to redeem himself in San Diego, might alter that. But if he only wants to play LT, then I'd almost consider paying him as a BACKUP to protect the team if McNeil can't go.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    McNeill better be ready to fight for his job. Right now Gaither is outplaying Mac's recent performance by a good margin, particularly in the run game.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -0
    If we miss out on David DeCastro and Dre Kirkpatrick, or a top 10 choice (especially Luke Kechley) who falls then we should trade out of the pick.

12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    im not that high on DeCastro, kirkpatrick would be a great pick up hope he falls down to us. and Kechley? forget him he looks good cause BC's D is designed to flow to where he is at

13. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -0
    All D's flow to ILB's, he's the best on the board, sure he could put on 10 pounds especially if we're gonna stay in a 3-4, but if we get a Defensive coordinator then we'll draft playermakers (16 tackles a game, thats instincts) and build a gameplan around them, rather than build a gameplan then draft players for it (which is what we've done and why we've reached on players like Larry English, Corey Leguit, Jonas Mouton etc)

14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    I'd say my list right now would look like this...

Dre Kirkpatrick
    Nick Perry
    Riley Reiff
    Michael Floyd
    David DeCastro

If you're asking us to rank that list that u gave...

Kirkpatrick
    Upshaw
    Floyd
    Te'o
    Allen
    RGIII

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i dont like him that much, i rather wait till the 4th and get acho or just overall wait till next year and get te'o

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That or... you know... we give Mouton a chance before we go trying to replace him just because so many people are rushing to call him a bust even though he actually showed promise in the limited preseason action he saw, because TV draft analyst experts' rankings and draft site rankings are the be-all/end-all of determining a player's professional success.

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Mouton did take crap angles in college though. He could lay wood when he got there, but getting there was a freakin journey sometimes. Good thing the coaching staff is about to change, cause he's going to need it (that said, I bet Pagano stays).

Also, nothing wrong with going ILB early-mid especially if it's BPA. If Mouton fails, there's backup. If he doesn't, there's depth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    no, im not hating on mouton at LB, i just dont think hes smart enough to play ILB, i rather try him at blitzing or heck even safety. but id give him a shot, but i want some depth

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I've always liked Hightower. 15 or so is high for an ILB, but I'd consider it.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Unless an ILB's got Willis/Lewis-type upside the 1st round is too high for one. Gotta remember, it's a position that just isn't valued as highly - some of the top guys in the league weren't selected until the 2nd round (and those were the ILB's with very good/not-great upside) like Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Ryans, and Timmons. Guys like Brian Cushing are great, but he wasn't drafted as a 3-4 ILB or even as an ILB at all - he was viewed, at the time, as a OLB with tremendous upside and versatility.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Like I said, I know our likely pick is high for an ILB. I also know that Hightower has played well, been a consistent starter except for the knee, recovered well from the knee injury, has been durable outside of that, is a position of need (before we find Spikes gone & no good backup option), & could well be the arguably BPA at that point. I'm all for seeing what Mouton has, but I don't think he will be more than a backup & good ST'er.

22. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Vontaze Burfict ILB

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 19 / -4
    Please god no