1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who's next?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chispa, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Link to the source story ..... you lazy bastage ...

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    Can they do that?

Wouldn't the Chargers have to give them permission since he now holds the same post in San Diego?

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    If the new HC decides not to retain him, yes.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    Well, yeah.

I was just clarifying that the article-clip wasn't suggesting that they can hire him tomorrow or something.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    No.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    It's just media speculation. No source. No substance.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    Explain.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    Sigh... I know your a bit slow but lets break it down for you.

Shelmon is currently the Chargers OC. Under contract. The only way a team can hire him as an OC is for the Chargers to give said team permission. That only happens if Mike Singletary, the next Chargers HC decides not to retain Shelmon.

I know its hard for you to keep on track, but try for the sake of us all... Ummm kay?

:no:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I find this hard to believe.

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that wasn't even close to Conc's dumbest post. He's got a bunch "stuppider" than that !!!

:icon_rofl:

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,611 / 29 / -1
    Isn't that what Conc said in the post you labeled the "stupidest post i've ever seen"?

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    Fug you all. I am just gonna toss all yo stinky arses in the ACF!

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    Well I could pull a trumpet man and flip flop all over the place.
    :icon_finger:

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CARROLL SAYS HE'S STAYING PUT

USC coach Pete Carroll reportedly had communications this week with the San Diego Chargers, who fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer on Monday.

But Carroll also says that he's staying put at USC.

Carroll raised eyebrows on Tuesday when he refused to comment on the situation. The no-comment route prompted us (and others) to conclude that he had learned something from the Nick "I'm Not Going To Be The Alabama Coach" Saban fiasco, and that if Carroll couldn't truly say he's not going to be the Chargers coach, then he would say nothing at all.

But on Thursday Carroll explained the reason for his decision not to talk: "I just got tired of answering questions about the NFL, because there's always a follow-up question from [the media], no matter what I say, so I decided I wouldn't say anything, I wasn't looking at it. I like where I'm at. I'm not going anywhere."

Okay, folks. There it is. Carroll essentially has said he's not going to be the Chargers coach.

And as much as we'd love to see our theory regarding the situation come to fruition, we're inclined to believe him.

With that said, we think that Carroll was a candidate for the job when he said "no comment" on Tuesday, and that in the intervening 48 hours a decision was made, by him or by the team, not to pursue it any further.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    Thank GAWD!

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    This from the same POS website that speculated AJ may be fired. :lol:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    :clap: :lol: :clap:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    With respect to the thread about lateral moves and assistants that Shamrock and Electric Chair were adamant about and wanted to see my "reads" about this, welll here is another example of what I was talking about .... This is not the first time I have read this rule for assistant coaching movement.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02152007/sports/jets/jets_grabbing_pats_aide_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

JETS GRABBING PATS AIDE
    By MARK CANNIZZARO

February 15, 2007 -- The Jets are raiding Bill Belichick's New England coaching staff, according to multiple NFL sources.

The Jets are set to hire Brian Daboll, who has coached the Patriots' receivers for the past five seasons after spending the previous two as a defensive assistant under Belichick.

It's uncertain what Daboll's title will be, however, since Noel Mazzone is the Jets' receivers coach.

It's possible, though, that Daboll will be used in an offensive-assistant-head-coach role of some sort, since that would be a title upgrade to his position in New England, something that would be required unless Belichick simply didn't want him back.

Jets officials did not return phone calls last night seeking comment.

Eric Mangini, who coached with Daboll from 2000 to 2005 as an assistant in New England, is high on him, as evidenced by an unsolicited compliment he made earlier this past season.

"I think that Brian does an outstanding job with receivers," Mangini said prior to the first Jets-Patriots meeting in 2006. "Brian has always done an outstanding job with receivers and it's a very good staff and it's a very good group of players."

Those players Mangini referred to included New England WRs Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, both of whom hurt the Jets and developed into solid receivers under Daboll's watch.

Daboll was originally recommended to Belichick by Nick Saban, for whom he worked as a graduate assistant at Michigan State.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    No **** sherlock but did you read that a upgrade to his position would be required (assumed if under contract)? Did you read the speculation the dude would be hired as an assistant head coach to satisfy the rule or does that not matter ?

Yes I know his contract expired but read man!!!

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I understand the rule (well at least I thought I did).

If a head coach is terminal (and he should not have to be) and we hire an assistant from another team as an assistant head coach, that is a promotion.

Some are saying it only works if the dude is going to be employed as a head coach and assistant head coach will not satisfy the rule. I disagree.

I know they have idiot writers for the New York Post as well who wrote this piece.

The flip side is not everyone wants to wait until the HC dies or fucs up before they dive in like a pirahna.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Oye vey .... fuc it....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CONFUSION PERSISTS ON HIRING ASSISTANTS

We know that the many intricate rules regarding the NFL can be confusing, and we've screwed up our share of them from time to time. But we're always surprised when someone who covers the NFL as a full-time gig gets a basic fact so plainly wrong.

On Thursday, Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post had this to say regarding the Jets' efforts to hire Pats receivers coach Brian Daboll: "It's possible . . . that Daboll will be used in an offensive-assistant-head-coach role of some sort, since that would be a title upgrade to his position in New England, something that would be required unless Belichick simply didn't want him back."

But a title upgrade isn't enough to allow a team to hire an assistant coach from another team who is still under contract, unless the title upgrade in question is "head coach."

The rule is simple. If an assistant coach is under contract with one team, another team cannot hire him for any other assistant-coaching position, even if the move would be regarded as a promotion.

The only exception? If the team employing the assistant coach is willing to let him leave, then he can go.

Some teams allow assistant coaches to leave for promotions. Others, like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, staunchly refuse. As a result, guys like Lions coach Rod Marinelli never became a defensive coordinator before becoming a head coach, because the Bucs refused to allow such a move. And when Marinelli became the coach of the Lions, the Bucs refused to allow him to take his son-in-law, Joe Barry, to become the defensive coordinator in Detroit.

So Barry finished his contract, and then took the job.

Though we don't agree with the notion of preventing coaches from climbing the ladder, there's an easy solution for the assistants -- sign year-to-year contracts. Most of them, however, want the security of a multi-year deal. To get it, they often give up the opportunity to leave for a better gig somewhere else.

In Daboll's case, either his contract with the Pats was up or the Pats decided they didn't want him anymore. But the title offered had nothing to do with it.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - The same guys who said Pete Carroll was a lock. :lol:

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 32 / -0
    When PFT and Leisure are your educational sources, you need to pull your head out of your ***, Trump.

This is what pisses me off about Manusky and Chud. It's common practice to not let assistants leave. Yet Marty did. Bastard.

24. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    I'm ecstatic that Marty let them bail, because if he didn't let them walk he wouldn't have gotten the AXE!!!

BYE MARTY!!!!! :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

It just feels SO GOOD to say that.... Even after 4 days!!!

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    EC is right, it depends on how you look at it. If Manusky and Chud are still here, Manusky probably gets elevated to DC, and Marty is still our head coach.

Marty needed to leave THIS YEAR. I'm more convinced of that than ever now.