1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why the $!@/ would Andy Reid even be a consideration?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Dec 13, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Are you guys watching this? This Eqgles team doesn't only lose they get blown out, they aren't even competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    ^^^Sounds like an AJ man if I ever heard of one... ;)

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    The Eagles may have the 1st overall pick when this season is over. They have some big name talent, but it's hard to imagine a less disciplined team in the league.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Retreads R Us........ or hadn't you heard? ;)

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    I'm not saying this as a defense of Andy, but rather just an explanation. When Reid had veteran leaders that had the ear of the locker room, he did rather well. When those veteran leaders (Jon Runyan, Brian Dawkins, Hugh Douglas, Brian Westbrook, even arguably Sheldon Brown and Donovan McNabb) left via free agency or retired, his hold on the locker room set sail with them. Andy, of late, can't identify coordinators to save his life - that is to say that unless they were previously identified by his mentor Bill Walsh or another Walsh-lineage coach (like Mariucci, Holmgren, etc.), Andy doesn't know what to look for in terms of qualities. This is particularly noteworthy of defensive coordinators - Jim Johnson was recommended to Reid by Dennis Erikson and Walsh.

Andy's, in a way, like Marty (both the good and the bad) in that he lets his coordinators do their thing and he concentrates on the side of the ball he knows best. This season is just one giant cluster---- for them for a number of reasons: Andy/Marty Morningwheg never reining in Vick (and that's assuming Vick can actually be reined in), Jim Washburn (who is a monumental prick, by the by) being given free reign to "coach his guys (the DL)" and the DC (Castillo then later Bowles) could "just coach the rest". None of this suggests in any way to the players that there's any clear-cut hierarchy of authority; if they don't want to do something Andy says all they have to do is get Wash to agree to it, or any number of combinations. I don't know that Andy's ever been much of a hard---, but the guy does seem to just be a lot more malaise towards confrontation ever since his son's passing. He's got a bunch of guys at this point that don't care much except about "I'm gonna do me" (including some of the current/former coaches) and Andy just can't be bothered/care to try and fix it at this point.

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +842 / 22 / -1
    Because he has a house near San Diego, that's really all it takes for some reporter to decide he's a candidate and write a story about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +413 / 8 / -0
    You actually didn't defend him, dysfunction within his staff works against him

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Just another example of an old coach who should retire, but he doesn't know what to do with himself. Make room for some new blood, you old codgers. ;)

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Yup. If anything I'd consider Arizona to be a much better "matchy-matchy" destination for him. He already has a QB that he liked and drafted in place in Kolb (and he'd probably still spend a 2nd or 3rd round selection on a QB just to appease management). Theirs is an offense that would match rather well to the WCO (it fits Michael Floyd's skill set to a "T" and Fitzgerald can function in pretty much any system). And there's a functionally good (not great, but getting there) defense in place with a coordinator who could/would likely be very retainable (thus alleviating the need for Andy to go out and find one).

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Because Spanos is soft

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    He did have 10+ years of success in one city including four NFC championship appearances and a super bowl. That long in any city sooner or later something's going to fall apart but I do echo what LBC said. Reid had a good group of coaches and team leaders for the Eagles long run but when they left not only were they replaced by selfish diva players but the drafting which had been very good prior tanked. So the good players left and were replaced by drama and substandard players. Add to that his coaching staff becoming an equally big cluster bleep and no way could he make it work.

Again he's not in my top 5 but I wouldn't be anywhere near as upset with Spanos hiring Reid as I was hiring Turner.