1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will Norv be able to motivate?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Ehhhhhh! incorrect! Please go back and read.

SDC brought up Jerry Rice. I brought up Keith Sims.

If you wish to play, then go ahead and include whom you would like to be sampled. Then if it is all in Dallas, then you have proven my point. He had three good years in Dallas. Everywhere else....

2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    three good yeas as an offensive coordinator not as a head coach. Just to be clear.

3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    I agree with what you say 100%. I'm not saying he'll be THE cause for a Chargers collapse. But the question was, can Norv motivate. And I don't think anyone here thinks he can. And that's not to put the man or any of you guys down. It's just the truth. It's kind of like asking if Gates can outrun LT. The answer is no, whether Gates needs to outrun LT or not is irrelevant. But you are absolutely correct that theoreticaly we don't need Norv to motivate since we pretty much have 2 other head coaches on the team as well as great players. and I think that's why there wasn't a huge uproar from the fans. We were just very surprised.

4. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    Ok, how about Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and our LT.

2 Hall of Famers and 1 future Hall of Famer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    Aikman, Smith and Tomlinson knew him as an offensive coordinator and all 3 are standup guys. Aikman and Smith benefited from Norv by winning 3 superbowl rings and LT is the current MVP and to many the best player in the game right now because of Norv's offense.

But the reason Rice's comments are different and relevant to us is because he knew Norv when he was in control of an entire team. He saw how disfunctional things got under Turner. Our situation now is is totaly different from theirs from a personel standpoint but that doesn't mean that our team is imune in any way to scandals. The one thing we have going for us in that regard is AJ's ability to deal with any team drama effectively. So at the end of the day we might not need Norv to motivate or lead the team, but we'll see wont we?

6. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Git 'er done!

Attached Files:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Two whom were from his three good years. One who has only worked with him one year. If that lightens your heart good.

But hows about from the other teams. Whashington? San Francisco? Miami? Anyone from those teams comming out and speaking for him?

I am sure like anyone there will be people who say he is a great guy. Tro Aikman does give Norv a hell of a lot of credit for his fame. BSBB has pointed out that in Mimami Norv turned one of the QBs there into a one time pro bowler. That is good. That is also all as an OC.

So PR#1, simply put do you feel Norv will be able to motivate this team. If we are down 28 to 7 at half time, will Norv be able to lift this team to victory?

Oh and Eldwin, you said earlier that you do not give the D credit in the Cinci game because they gave up 40+ points. But you give the O credit for scoring only 7 points in the whole first half? :icon_huh:

Seems to me if the O had sustained some drives in the first half some of those 28 points would not have been scored? No?

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Hadn't thot of it, won't think of it til if/when it happens.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Very well put LD!

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I;ve pulled my dog outta this race; as I stated early, I have no motivation concerns with Norv. All I can say is that Troy, Emmitt, and JJ publically lobbied Jerry Jones for Norv to replace the Tuna. As we know, Jones elected to go with Wade.

Jes a remjinder from a page or two back, Jones is the same owner that hired/fired Dave Campos AND Chan Gailey.

Carry on.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Isnt Spanos the same guy who hired Mike Riley, Kevin Gilbride, and possibly Dan Henning?:unsure:

12. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Are you a Charger Fan or not? :icon_huh:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Of course. Are you saying that a Charger fan can only assentuate the positive?

Shall we turn a blind eye to the doldrums of the past, simply to appear more fan like?

14. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Yes. :yes:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    No! :no:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Do you want to go back to futility? TO knowing that the team will be watching the playoffs from hime instead of the side lines?

Do you want to go back to the coach callin "BILLLAY?! BILLAY?!" Helplessly from the sidelines?

Is that what you want, in order to be blissfully ignorant?

Sorry I cant take that ride with ya...:no:

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's a start.
    [​IMG]

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    So easy a chimp can do it?:lol:

18. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Chimp, Caveman. Just brudda's from udda mudda's. :lol:

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking that everyone's player adoptee sig should have the "caveman" angle incorporated into it. I'd love to see my beautiful Marsha as a cavewoman. Maybe get me in there dragging her around by her hair? :yes: :lol:

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    No woman deserves that...jes sayin

21. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek: :icon_huh: :yes: :lol: :icon_rofl: John Wayne style.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Norv can't motivate. I watched him on a pretty regualr basis when I lived in Baltimore because Redskins games are televised there.

BUT A.J. CAN!!!!!!! :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    you know why cavemen drag cavewomen by the hair right?

Beacuse if you drag them the other way they fill up with rocks and dirt.:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    :lol: - twisted humor rocks :abq2:

25. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Why does this thread still exist?

26. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Because we are in search of the answers to a peaceful co-existince with our new coaching staff, Ghandi.:lol:

It will live until the season starts, I guess. We won't have our answer until around mid-season, I imagine.

Let's send Ghandi to see the Dahli Lama to get the answers we seek. By the time he gets back, it will be Game 7 or 8 and we will already know.:lol:

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    I thought Ghandi was against killin anything!

IMPOSTER!:icon_evil:

28. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Word. :eek:wned: :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

29. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    Turner is a QB guru for a reason

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

Nearly everywhere Norv Turner goes, quarterback production goes up.

The Chargers' new head coach is primarily associated with Troy Aikman's emergence from struggling young quarterback to NFL superstar, but his work in Dallas was just the beginning of a trend.

In a four-year span during his seven-year stint as Washington's head coach, three different quarterbacks (Gus Frerotte in 1996, Trent Green in '98 and Brad Johnson in '99) threw for more than 3,000 passing yards.

Johnson became just the second Redskins quarterback to ever top 4,000 yards.

Johnson and Frerotte -- the latter entered the league as a seventh-round draft pick -- made the Pro Bowl under Turner. Green had thrown just one pass in five NFL seasons before throwing for 3,441 yards and 23 touchdowns in his breakout season.

Aikman (3,445 yards in '92) and Doug Flutie (3,464 in 2001 with the Chargers) registered their best NFL passing-yardage seasons while playing in Turner's offense. San Francisco's Alex Smith had 16 touchdown passes last season in his lone year under Turner's tutelage. Smith had one touchdown as a rookie.

Even Kerry Collins, who had one 20-touchdown season in his first nine NFL campaigns, threw 20 or more TDs in back-to-back seasons when Turner coached the Oakland Raiders in 2004-05.

The secret, according to those who have worked with Turner, is that the former college quarterback relates well to his pupils.

"He has a teaching ability that is good for one-on-one mentorship," said part-time Carlsbad resident John Robinson, who Turner worked under at USC and the Los Angeles Rams. "You have to bring a quiet confidence in that position. I think he has some unusual ability in that area. He's not overly excited; he's just great with people one-on-one."

Aikman said Turner was "quarterback-friendly" and an "unbelievable play-caller." He said Turner is careful not to ask quarterbacks to do things they don't do well.

"He's one of the rare coaches in that he understands what a quarterback is having to deal with," Aikman said. "For a guy who never played professionally and had limited time collegiately, he understands what that guy has to go through that's back there in the pocket holding the football and the decisions he has to be able to make in such a short period of time."

Turner's success teaching the position far exceeds his own playing experience. He was Oregon's starting quarterback as a fifth-year senior in '74 and threw three times as many interceptions (15) as touchdowns (five).

But Hall of Famer Dan Fouts, who was Turner's Oregon teammate from 1970-72, thinks those difficulties have aided Turner throughout his coaching career.

"Empathy," said Fouts, describing Turner's compassion and understanding for what quarterbacks deal with. "He's been under center, he's been in the pocket and he's taken the hits. He talks the language.

Click the link for the rest of the story.

http://nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/22/sports/professional/chargers/23_00_394_21_07.txt

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.