1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Williams’ approach humbles teammates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Wednesday, Aug 20, 2008

If you go looking for Jamal Williams’ locker in the Chargers locker room, you might have a hard time finding it this time of year. Williams’ living space is tucked away in a corner and, unlike the lockers of his teammates, his isn’t identified by a nameplate this time of year. “I never put my name plaque up there until after I make the team,” Williams said. “I collect them every year. I’ve got 10 at home. Hopefully I’ll get another.” Williams’ teammates find it kind of amusing that a three-time Pro Bowler who has been one of the NFL’s most dominating linemen over his career would seem to have any question regarding his status on the roster. At the same time, they find it a little refreshing that a player who has accomplished so much remains so humble. “That’s just his approach,” defensive end Ryon Bingham said. “He wants to work to be on this team. He doesn’t want anything handed to him. He’s been that way his whole career.” Williams’ 11th training camp has been a little different for him. After undergoing arthroscopic procedures on both of his knees during the offseason, he’s done more work during training camp on the sideline than he has with his teammates on the field, which has been difficult for the man recognized as the anchor of the Bolts’ defense. “I want to be out there all the time,” Williams said. “I appreciate them taking care of me and I’ll do what they want me to, but I want to be out there. It’s tough sometimes but you can only do what they ask. If the coaches and trainers think it’s what’s best, then I’ll do what they ask.” Still, Williams’ teammates expect their starting nose tackle to be right in the mix of things making an impact once September roles around. “It doesn’t matter what he does,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “With him, no matter how much he’s practiced in training camp or worked out during the offseason, he’s got too much pride to step on that field and not go out there and do the things he needs to do.” Those around Williams marvel about his physical attributes: the way he takes on double teams, throws blockers to the side and gets in opponents’ backfields. But perhaps the most impressive part of Williams’ game is the fact that he’s done so while dealing with the physical rigors of playing the most demanding position on the field. “You can talk about the player that he is; the fact that he’s the rock of our defense, his ability to make unbelievable plays,” Castillo said. “That’s all very impressive, but I think the greatest thing is all that he’s battled through. The surgeries, the injuries, the pain. He doesn’t practice much during training camp and doesn’t get a chance to do a lot of the things most of us do during the offseason but yet he still goes out there and finds a way to perform. It’s amazing.” Williams has said multiple times this summer that he feels better than he has in a while after having his knees cleaned out. While it may be tough on him to watch, his presence an approach is still impacting the players around him. “With all that he’s gone through, it’s amazing what he can still do,” Bingham said. “I know he has a lot of pain because 11 seasons in this league is a long time. When you see what he goes through to get ready, you see the passion he has for the game, it rubs off on you. I’m really fortunate I’ve spent my whole career learning from him.” Finishing strong The Chargers will wrap up training camp Thursday, but Head Coach Norv Turner has been impressed with the way his team has continued to work to the end. “I think we’ve had a series of outstanding practices,” Turner said. “I really believe we’re building on some things that we’ve been doing well and we’re doing more things well every day.” The Chargers’ last day of two-a-days will be held Thursday. The team will practice Friday and Saturday before holding a walkthrough Sunday prior to Monday night’s game against the Seattle Seahawks. Gates closed Tight end Antonio Gates worked during the individual period prior to both practices Tuesday but was not on the field Wednesday. “Because he wasn’t out on the field doesn’t mean he wasn’t working,” Turner said. “We’ve got a pretty good program set up for him and I think he’s completely on schedule.” Turner said that Gates’ toe responded well after his work Wednesday and the team continues to be encouraged with his progress. Merriman absent Linebacker Shawne Merriman was not at Chargers Park Wednesday and Turner confirmed reports that the three-time Pro Bowler had flown to Alabama to have his sore knee checked out. “He’s had some soreness,” Turner said. “I think he wants to get it checked out and make sure that everything’s alright with it. When he’s been able to practice and move around he’s looked awfully good to me.” Turner didn’t seem to be overly concerned about the matter and said that Merriman had no plans to undergo an operation during his visit to orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.

Chargers.com
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    THIS is the guy that makes our defense click. He's gonna be a tough one to replace. :yes:

Time to go get the big guy a ring. :tup:
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Guys like Jamal don't get replaced, other guys just beat out the competition for the position he leaves behind. We've had good qb's since Fouts, but no one has ever replaced him. The only guy on this team that I can think of in those terms is Gates, who has actually replaced Kellen Winslow in our offense. Is anyone going to replace LT?

And yes, it IS time for Jamal to get his ring. His meter has less time on it than the team as a whole. I might follow college ball this year a bit more closely than usual, looking for a likely Nose Tackle to draft, out of more than normal curiosity.
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

That sounds a LOT better!!

oh, and yes, let's get the big guy a ring dammit!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:
  5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    SOOO true i was watching the rams preseason game and hey were showing the bench and everyone was talking and laughing, and he was at the end alone observing the game with his hands in his coat pockets. what a humble big man, hope he gets a ring this year:unsure: