1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Willie to sign with Ravens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Deal expected Friday

Willie Anderson told The Enquirer late this afternoon that he will return to Baltimore on Friday morning to sign a three-year, $11 million contract with the Ravens.
    He said he is going to try to get ready to play Sunday against his former team – the Bengals – which terminated his contract Saturday.
    Anderson visited Baltimore on Tuesday and returned to his home in Atlanta.
    “It’s cool,” Anderson said. “The organization was real cool. I was kind of nervous.”
    Former Bengals wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, now Ravens quarterbacks coach, took Anderson on a tour of the Ravens' facility in Owings Mills, Md.

“When Hue took me down into the locker room, I was nervous to meet all the guys,” Anderson said, “but then Ray Lewis, Lorenzo Neal, Chris McAlister, all the guys, came running up to me, it made me feel at home.”

The Bengals wanted Anderson to take a pay cut to $1.5 million – more than 50 percent – or else they would cut him. He declined. The club raised its offer to $1.8 million, but Anderson refused. Then his contract was terminated.

Baltimore has reshuffled its offensive line. Adam Terry is their starting right tackle.

The Bengals play at the Ravens at 1 p.m. Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/SPT02/309040100/1066

2. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    god damn it. why would he go there? they aren't going anywhere and the weather sucks.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    WTF? why are the ravens getting all our people. F***IN SNATCHERS. This sucks i was pisted about divens and now they jack willie. F***IN S**T :banghead::pissed:

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    thankgod. means mcneil isn't badly hurt. Otherwise the chargers would have emptied the vaults to land any good o-tackle.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    three years 11 million? that's not a stop gap, that means they don't like their option at RT and hope he can do better

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Anderson was always looking for the place that would give him the most money, and he wasn't going to get it here.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing AJ offered him a low ball one year contract. Sure, he would have a shot at a Ring... but nothing's guaranteed.

In Baltimore he has three years to be more than just a quick fix... and a heck of a lot more money and stability. These guys have pride as professionals. A potential SuperBowl ring probably loses some of its luster when you know you're a throw-away one year stop-gap.

I get his decision. Still the rat bastard should have picked S.D. :icon_evil:

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Anderson turns down Bucs, Chargers for three-year deal with Ravens

With job security in mind, former Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson turned down trips to Tampa Bay and San Diego and accepted a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens. Anderson was set to make a Thursday visit to Tampa, but the Ravens stepped up their offer. The former Pro Bowl tackle can now take a few weeks to learn the offense and try to win the starting job.

Normally veteran players who are released in the final cut have a hard time securing a one-year deal. A three-year, $3.5 million a year offer is rare.
    The Ravens have Jared Gaither at left tackle and Adam Terry at right tackle, but the addition of Anderson will give them flexibility. Terry can slide over to left tackle to help or beat out Gaither for the starting job. Both Gaither and Terry missed most of the preseason because of ankle injuries.
    The Chargers were particularly disappointed about losing Anderson to the Ravens. They had targeted him as a key backup for the right side of their line. The Bucs were looking for tackle help but may not have been willing to give him a starting job. The chance to start and the three-year deal convinced Anderson to turn down the other trips and agree with the Ravens.

Espn.com