1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Win the games or forfeit them?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Dec 9, 2012.

?

Should the Chargers follow Ikeaman and Maitliack's advice and forfeit their remaining games?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2012.
  1. No! You play to WIN the game.

95.2%
  2. Yes! It's always better to LOSE to gain draft position.

4.8%
  1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I lol'd. Please explain how winning yesterday benefited the team.

Not specifically addressed at Lance, but if you "play to win the game", why aren't the 18-1 2007 Patriots the Gold Standard for an NFL team? After all, they "won the game" more than anyone else in a season ever has.
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I want to see guys play for their jobs. Some on the D especially are clearly doing this as is DX and maybe 1 or 2 of the new O linemen. Win or lose does not matter too much to me now. Like many have said some teams do just fine drafting later than others. Regardless I want to see us get some serious O line help in the draft no matter where we pick. Seems the draft is deep on O and D line so we should be ok provided Jimmy Raye or somebody else is picking instead of AJ.

When I see Mouton, English, Taylor and many of his other draft picks makes me wanna puke!.
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Black is a mixture of all the colors, White is in void of pigment and therefore neutral.
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    But white is black in pitch dark...
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    And I call BS on your realization. It is simply wrong. Are you saying that teams that are perenial playoff teams never get good players in the draft because they draft soo late int he round? Or are you perhaps arguing that every high draft pick (say the Leaf's, English's, Davis', and Ettmen's of the world) turn into solid performers?

If you say no to any of this then you need to go back to your vucan science acadamy and take logic 101 again.
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    Except there's a few of us who are not embarrassed at all to hold and defend that position. It's all about the future of the team, and with Norv, there is no future.
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    Best interests=they should have. Pay attention! And the poll is running against you.
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    Like I said to you on FB, Norv & AJ are gone regardless. It's weak to want your team to lose, period.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Buddy that is not a question that he nor anyone else arguing that winning the game was a good thing, will ever directly answer.
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Maybe we can go through the whole Eli Manning fiasco again!
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    How many top draft picks do the Cardinals and Detriot have?
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I would rather root for the Raiders then wanting the Chargers to throw a game!
  13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I wonder how many season ticket holders think that way?

Yea I'll throw away two grand just to watch them lose at home. Its always fun leaving the stadium after a loss, but its even more fun knowing they did it purpose!
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    Well that's your choice to think that way. I look at it differently, if we lose a game or 2 more and Norv gets fired, then and that's a bigger win than a single game during a losing season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see AJ stay if the young players keep playing well. Dean's a waffler. Hell, after he gave Norv that game ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see him keep Norv if we win out.
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    I did not buy the tickets with the intent of watching the Chargers lose a single game this season, but this season is toast and I'm already stuck with the tickets, so I don't want a repeat of this year next year. No chance for Dean to back down (lol with Dean there's always a chance).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    And that's the whole reason I want him to lose. Leave no doubt. I don't think it's fair to any of us, regardless of our position on this, to have to endure another year of Norv's stupidity.
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    I get that. It's just hard to convince nfl-caliber athletes to lose. And if they think that you're having the coach throw the games, good luck getting them to play hard for you next year. Course Deano already has that problem--imagine how much worse it would be next year if the players were asked to mail it in this year.
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    I'm not advocating them throwing games. They lose well enough just playing Norv Turner football.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    lol no doubt there. I could see them winning out though. I could also see them winning the next two then choking against Oakland.
  21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    I'd rather they choke one of the other games and beat Oakland.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 8 / -0
    I understand the logic behind wanting them to lose, but like some have said during the game I cheer for the Chargers, after, if they lose I'm still sad but at least I know is one step closer to Norv beeing fired and a better draft position, so that lessens the blow.

A question for those that root for them to lose: DURING the game, do you cheer when the other team scores? or do you hate it when the Chargers score? what is your attitude? (ok, three questions)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 29 / -1
    Because the Colts getting Luck completely allows us to forget about all the busts that have come out of the 1st round?
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 29 / -1
    There's a fundamental difference between not being upset with a loss at this juncture and being upset or disappointed they won.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 29 / -1
    No, I completely get Ikeman's argument. I just don't agree with it.

I would if the top of the draft always produced guaranteed great players...or even if the odds were overwhelmingly greater to find one at the top than in the middle or the bottom.

But since this is not the case and for every Andrew Luck there's 2 or 3 Jamarcus Russels and Ryan Leafs I don't agree with it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 29 / -1
    Good thing it doesn't.

Anyone who thinks an 8-8 finish with the 3rd straight year of no playoffs and only one year left on his contract is going to save Norv's job is probably the type that's also buying into this Mayan Calendar stuff.

Not even Deano is that stupid. They were already talking about it being a forgone conclusion during the broadcast last night and about how even Norv was treating it as such.
  27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    If we make the playoffs and win a game though....;)
  28. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410 / 4 / -0
    The future is never guaranteed, nor does it truly even exist. (Let that sink in)
    1st round draft picks are not guaranteed stars, or even starters. (More sinking in)

I felt cheerful all day Sunday after the thrashing of the Steelers. It was a temporary psychological lift
    that I enjoyed at the time. It has since worn off, but I wouldn't trade that feeling for the non-guaranteed
    feeling that the Chargers will select a future (again doesn't exist) NFL star. We could lose out and draft
    higher in next years draft but it still guarantees nothing.
    What happens when the new GM decides to trade down into the second? Will we get a hit or a miss?
    What if we trade up for that #1 ranked left tackle? What if we trade up for that left tackle, he gets injured
    in training camp, and is lost for the season?

What if we select at #18 and we select one of those tackles from A&M and he becomes a Pro Bowl/Hall
    of Famer while keeping Rivers clean and the Immaculate Protection O-line (the one that played against the
    Steelers) turns into one of the top lines in the league?

What if the Mayans really did mean that a comet and an asteroid would hit Earth at the end of December 2012?

The future doesn't exist, the past doesn't exist (it's over). Only the present exists (yeah a little philosophy for you
    today). When you started reading this post, that time is now gone forever. It's not around anymore and you can't hold on to it.

We have now. The Chargers are 5-8. They could easily be sitting at 8-5 but the game is decided on just a few plays and they all went against us.

I'll take now. I won't pretend to believe that the future is rosy. I'd rather it be rosy now. It counts now and IT IS ALWAYS NOW.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program of Norv-bashing and loss-hoping.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Bold, no, it rather pointedly does not equal that. Your assumptions do not constitute my argument. Second, the poll is not running against me, as the less chosen option is not my stance, or anything remotely close to it. The wording you've chosen reflects how incredibly poorly you've grasped my (fairly well and repeatedly explained) argument.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    If your paradigm is based on living in the present while discounting the future, then the long-term interests of the team are of course irrelevant to you, and our positions are simply dichotomous.