1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Winters, umpire in Bradley blow-up, suspended for season

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by ChargerRay, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3037237

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't do Bradley or the Padres much good. What an *******.
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    True enuff, but it does vindicate Uncle Milty.
  4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    I want to know what he said.

Bradley will never wear another MLB uniform IMO; dude just can't control his emotions. Too bad because he's loaded with talent. :(
  5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    According to Milton and the first base coach he dropped the N-bomb.

Racist POS ended our season.
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Fuk that ****. Suspend that POS Upm next year as well. :icon_evil:
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Meachem wants truth to come out

Meacham says truth will clear Bradley

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

September 26, 2007
    SAN FRANCISCO – In the interest of truth and justice, umpire Mike Winters should apologize to Padres outfielder Milton Bradley and the commissioner's office should exonerate Bradley of any wrongdoing in Sunday's incident, Padres first base coach Bobby Meacham said yesterday.

“Everybody needs to tell the truth about what happened,” Meacham said. “You want to see justice. You've got reputations at stake here. All of our reputations are at stake here.”

Meacham said he answered questions about the incident from major league lawyers, then gave them his entire version. He said he is certain that Winters, who was standing near first base, instigated the incident by calling Bradley a “bleeping piece of (expletive).” It was Meacham who responded first, walking up to Winters.

“I'd never heard something like that on a baseball field,” Meacham said. “I was like, whoa, you can't say that. There was a reason why I walked on the field.”

After protesting to Winters, Meacham tried to restrain Bradley, who suffered a season-ending knee injury when manager Bud Black, also trying to stop Bradley, sent him to the ground.

“Winters should apologize to Milton,” Meacham said. “I know what I heard. Milton was wronged. His future is at stake here. I'm not in anybody's corner. I just want the truth to come out. Winters made a mistake. He lost his cool. He snapped. All of us make a mistake. It was stuff that just shouldn't be said. Milton did what anybody in baseball would have done.”

Meacham isn't particularly tight with Bradley but is concerned for him. “First, what happened to Milton's knee, his livelihood, that's bad. Two, I hope everybody doesn't believe that it was a case of, 'Oh, Milton blows up again.' ”

Meacham said that if Rockies first baseman Todd Helton heard Winters, he needs to be forthcoming. Major league officials attempted to reach Helton, who told reporters the Winters-Bradley exchange was an “interesting event.”

“If everybody tells the truth, I think things will work out,” Meacham said. “If everybody doesn't tell the truth, I don't think it'll work out. At some point, the truth does become important.”

Notes
    Barry Bonds has been out of the lineup since he sprained his right big toe Sept. 15, but Padres ace Jake Peavy said he expects Bonds to face him tonight in what could be Bonds' final home game with the Giants.

Greg Maddux threw a side session yesterday, a sign his back strain is improved. Maddux didn't throw a side session leading up to Sunday's outing, and Black said Maddux's back stiffness contributed to his giving up five runs in 3 2/3 innings.

Tom Krasovic: (619) 293-2207; tom.krasovic@uniontrib.com
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I know manya y'all think this is so, but the season ain't over; at least the Pads ain't quit.
  9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Umps are out of control. They strut around the diamond like they are god. They are constantly looking for confrontation instead of doing the right thing and turning the other cheek. I think that it has to do with the resentment that they have for the amount of coin that players make, coupled with the fact that most are probably ex-players that were not talented enough to get to the Bigs.

Knowing that this cost the Pads Milton and Mike Cameron for the season is enough to make you want some blood. I was really liking our chances going in until this.

It certainly adds to the theory about the Umpires Union being mad at Alderson from years ago and taking it out on the Padres now. :tdown:
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0

With this decision, the umps in general will be under some severe scrutiny when they work any Pads game from now til the Pads ride is over.
  11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    EC at the same time, why did Bradley charge so hard that Black had to restrain Bradley like he did? There are other avenues that could of been taken. Instead Bradley choose the "get up in his grill" approach! At the Home Plate conference between the Umpires, and the Head Coaches, the Head Coaches are told they they are the only one's that the Umpires want to talk to. If Bradley had a beef, why didnt he let Black take care of it? That is what the Managers job is.
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Bradley lost his cool and he should not have....but I find that's generally what happens when you drop a racial slur on a black man.

That being said, yes he should have kept his cool....but that doesn't take away the fact that Winters was WAY out of line.
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I guess the only question would be that did Bradley, in a huff toss his bat at the Plate Umpire when he got wrung up in the 5th.
  14. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    So does this mean we can replace him on our playoff roster if we make it?
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    yes
  16. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I thought he called him a F***ing piece of S**t. That is WAY over the line, but I don't see how that is a racial slur. Or did he say something else?
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I read somewhere, I forget where, that Meachem said that he dropped the N-Bomb.

But i've since searched articles and haven't seen this anywhere, so I don't think this is the case anymore.
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Oh yeah, it was in this very thread.

Where'd you hear this, EC?
  19. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If he dropped the N word on Milton, than he deserved the a$$ kicking Milton looked like he was trying to give him.
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0