1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Woodhead over Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Joseph Calderon, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Joseph Calderon

Joseph Calderon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4 / 10 / -0
    Just had to get this off my chest...

Everytime Mathews gets the ball, I get this uneasy feeling that he is going to fumble. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but I feel like the go-to RB should be Danny Woodhead.

I feel like when Danny Woodhead touches the ball, he gets the job done. Reminds me of Darren Sproles. And the chemistry between him and Rivers has really taken off in just a matter of months.

Does anyone feel the same way?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 8 / -0
    No.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Woodhead is great in his role but he cant run the rock like matthews

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 4 / -0
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    Why? Is it still 2010/2011 and somebody forgot to tell me two seasons hasn't gone by since?

He's fumbled twice per year the last two seasons. That's nothing to sound alarms about just because he had a fumblitis early on in his career.

And please tell me you're not one of those that was pushing the panic button because he fumbled once in preseason.

As for Danny Woodhead, he's not a feature back type. I much prefer him as the hybrid Sproles-like weapon.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -0
    Woodhead does get the job done but his physical tools aren't comparable to Mathews. We saw when the offensive line gets no push or doesn't make a hole, Woodhead can't be productive cause of his size. There has been the occasional time where he's so small he squirts forward underneath lineman cause they can't see him. Otherwise I wouldn't want to limit what type of running we can do by having Woody start or even play more than Ryan. We already use the majority of our running plays in shotgun which I hate...don't let me remind you of running Woody in the redzone out of shotgun last year :mad:

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    Really you don't? I don't think the O.P is arguing which of the two is more convention RB of the two. I honestly feel more confident with Woodhead in on any play than Ryan. Ryan is always looks like his seconds from a fumble or even on good play will buzz you off with idiot play by not keeping himself in bounds. Contrast that with Woodhead making that fantastic catch over Giant defender, it just makes more sense.

My thoughts are the Chargers see this way too. They sign two RB's(excluding Grice and Oliver) to the roster this summer. I say Ryan is a goner unless he has double digit TD season. We should look out for T.J Sheldon in next years draft depending on how well D.Brown does this year. I'm sure we could pick him up in the second round seeing as RB's aren't valued much but CAN be a very valuable asset in the right system. I believe Mike McCoy's and Frank Reich offense is that.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    Anybody who's scared Mathews is about to fumble every time he touches the ball needs to crawl out of the 2010/2011 time warp they're stuck in.

Also, no matter how good he is at what he does Woodhead is not a feature back. I'd much sooner run Brown regularly and keep Woodhead in his role if we lost Mathews for whatever reason.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    Danny Woodhead fumbled the ball twice last year...which is equal to the number of times Ryan Mathews fumbled last year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    It's not only his fumbling that's the problem, it's his injury bug issue. I don't think not being confident in Ryan's ability to succeed on this offense and this team is being caught up in a "time wrap". It's actually pretty reasonable. You said it yourself that Brown in over Mathews would be something you'd have no problem with. Why not Woodhead in more plays where is suited in.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Nope.:coffee:

13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    I'm not so worried about Mathews fumbling again as I am M-80 shattering like a pane of glass the next time he catches one over the middle. :sick: :unsure:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    You're not in a time warp because you question his ability to perform in general or his durability. You're in a time warp because you're acting like he's prone to fumble when he hasn't had fumble problems in 3 years.

And I didn't say I want Brown to play over Mathews. I said I'd rather start Brown than Woodhead because Woodhead is not a feature back. I'd rather have a feature back taking the bulk of the caries and let Woodhead do his hybrid thing.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    I for one was never concerned about his alleged fumbling, I was always worried more about injuries and gray matter. He's come a long way and he'll either earn a new contract in SD or find a new employer. I'd like to have his current job outlook.

16. Hungrosity

Hungrosity BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am glad someone else feels the way I do... (Joseph). Putting aside the stats, I just like Woodhead because he seems to try so damn hard on every play. It seems that he fights for every yard and rarely gets dragged down without at least a half yard gain or something. I like Mathews too as a standard type back but Woodhead just gives me the happy feeling of anything can happen.

Just fun to watch... That's all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    If it's a question of who you enjoy seeing play more that's an entirely different discussion than what was presented in the first post and carried on by JohnnyX.

Whichever one of them is the more exciting to see play isn't quite the same debate as whether or not we should start Woodhead in fear of Ryan Matthews doing something he hasn't had a perpetual problem with in three years.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,435 / 36 / -16
    I think we all like Woodhead for that reason.

But you'd also be hard pressed to find anyone in bolts who tries "so damn hard on every play" as Mathews...

no doubt many of the early fumbles came because RM was trying like a fiend to carry tacklers another 1/2 yard!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Regardless of old fumble issues, Ryan Mathews is the most talented runner we have, and I would argue the most important piece of our offense (other than Rivers of course). When we don't have him at our disposal it is very noticeable because those 4 yard gains on first down start to come few and far between, and those 3rd downs get a little longer.

Woodhead is a nice change of pace, he can make some great impact plays, but I definitely don't want him to start.

Donald Brown is more in the mold of Mathews, but again the natural talent level is a good notch below RM.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Hungrosity

Hungrosity BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You are right, I think I got off topic as it was intended... Matilack, I think you had it right... Mathews most talented, Woodhead nice change of pace, and Brown a probable good backup. I don't know that Woodhead has the talent or the durability to be a feature back and course lacks size for those 4 yard runs up the middle on first down.

• Like Like x 1
  21. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    Don't get my views Twisted. I obviously want the best RB in there whether that is Ryan or some else I don't know. I'll trust the management to get that decision right. By the way Woodhead's RRTD was 8 while Mathews was 7 so don't make it out like Woodhead is some player buried in depth chart. He has a integral part in this offense, is extension this summer proves the Chargers see the same thing.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    Nobody in here has said Woodhead isn't an integral part of the offense. They've questioned the notion of giving him more carries than he got last year and RM less. And I have also repeatedly questioned why some are still worried about Ryan's "fumble problems" that haven't existed in three years.

23. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    UUUhh...NO. Woodhead is great at what he does but if he NFL knew up front that he was our starting running back, he would be crushed.