1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jan 19, 2009.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Event Homepage Link:

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/index.jsp

Schedule:

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

Rosters:

by country:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/wbc_09/roster.jsp?team=760&season=2009

by team:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/wbc_09/roster.jsp?sort=mlbclub

Padres have 10, 5 which are on the 40 man roster. The Fighting Gonzali and Hairston are all playing for Team Mexico.

Baseball fans check out these rosters. Some of the players and coaches are VERY interesting.
    Like Piazza coaching for the Italian team.

Yu Darvish is the ACE of the Nippon Ham Fighters, a very good Japanese team. He will be fun to watch.

Coming to Petco Park, March 15-19.:tup:

Dud Latrine gets the Finals this year.:tdown:

• Like Like x 2
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Can we PLEASE make it deep this time? I mean it was bleeping embarrassing to get handled like that.

I'll see about going if the tickets aren't through the roof so I can see some GOOD baseball at Petco

Oh thought you'd all like to hear this, apparently Israel is interested in putting a team together for the next WBC

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    The 1 reason I won't watch it or even care about it...

Players born in this Country are going to play for other countries because a family member was born there. :tdown:

If your born here, play for the United States! :flag:

Same goes for the Olympics!

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923 / 5 / -6

How to say this and still be politically correct........................

They had better stick to Bombing the "Strip" otherwise they will be giving up some big "Bombs" at Petco.

5. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure that will be the case 3-4 tourneys into it. But right now baseball needs a presence to have that happen. I agree with you tho.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ESCOBAR 92113

ESCOBAR 92113 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    i totally agree with you, some of the names playing for "their" countries last go around was laughable..with that said im gonna be alittle contradictive. I am an american of mexican descent. I will be rooting for the U.S but have a vested interest in the Mexico team. I played some professional baseball there and have family out there.

7. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    USA power its way to win over Canada
    Youkilis, McCann, Dunn homer in opener of Pool C round

TORONTO -- Team USA drilled three home runs on Saturday to power its way to a 6-5 win over the home-favorite Canadians in the opener of Pool C of the World Baseball Classic at Rogers Centre.

American first baseman Kevin Youkilis hit a solo home run in the fourth inning for one of his three runs scored on the day. Three batters later, catcher Brian McCann took Team Canada starter Mike Johnson deep for a two-run shot that put the U.S. ahead to stay at 4-2. McCann also opened the scoring for the Americans with a sacrifice fly in the second.

After Team Canada pulled to within one run by scoring on U.S. reliever Joel Hanrahan's wild pitch in the top of the sixth, Team USA right fielder Adam Dunn silenced the crowd of 42,314 with a two-run shot to right-center field in the bottom of the frame.

Team USA starter Jake Peavy allowed two runs on two hits and three walks, and he needed 58 pitches to get through three innings of work. One of the two hits Peavy allowed was Toronto native Joey Votto's towering home run to right field in the third inning that put the Canadians ahead, 2-1.
    The Americans will next play on Sunday at 8 p.m. ET against the winner of Saturday's matchup between Italy and Venezuela. Team Canada will play the loser of the Italy/Venezuela game on Monday at 6:30 p.m.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com...20090307&content_id=3936154&vkey=wbc&team=usa

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Great game today!! :)

USA!! USA!! USA!! :tup: :icon_toast: :flag:

9. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it was. Everyone thought that the US should pwn these guys. Instead, it was back and forth, exciting baseball. I was flipping back and forth between this and the Padre game, which stunk for the most part. :tdown:

We thought for sure that Bell would come in to close for the Americans. They put in Putz instead. He looked bad but closed it out.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    TWO WORDS

THE NETHERLANDS

(my family's a strong part Dutch so I take alot of pride in this)

Family members who didn't know squat about baseball were watching this and loving every second of this. This might bring baseball to a whole new level in Europe. And its amazing to see them Pwn the big and mighty Dominican Team.

11. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    :tup:Good on ya!:tup:

12. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    from the blog:Who's your Padre?

A little WBC preview ...

We're back to blogging after a couple of days off -- my wife was in town -- and a quick trip down to Tucson.

No Cactus League action today, instead Korea is here in Arizona to play two games before heading to San Diego for the second round of the World Baseball Classic.

This is a good team, Padres hitting coach Jim Lefebvre just told me. Lefebvre ran the national team in China and managed against Korea in the Beijing Olympics.

Lefebvre had some good things to say about the pitcher we'll see tonight, 21-year-old left-hander, Kwang-Hyun Kim.

A reminder the game is on television back in San Diego on Channel 4. :tup:
    Or you could dial up my buddy Andy Masur on XX Sports. He'll be doing innings 4-5-6. Andy Masur, good stuff.

Here's the starting lineup the Padres will throw at Korea:

CF, Jody Gerut
    2B, Chris Burke
    RF, Brian Giles
    DH, Cliff Floyd
    1B, Kyle Blanks
    LF, Chase Headley
    C, Nick Hundley
    3B, Travis Denker
    SS, Luis Rodriguez
    SP, Kevin Correia (will throw four innings).

Today's pitchers: Correia will work the first four innings, followed by Wade LeBlanc (three innings) and Ivan Nova (two innings).

Cheers, Corey

• Posted on March 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM