1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

World Football/Futbol/Fußball and Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ViennaLager, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    For sure. It kind of means that every game means something in the standings. Always some team to cheer for... (or against).

2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  5. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
  6. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Hahahaha...

7. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    USA played pretty well last night against Scotland.

What a great goal by Michael Bradley.

I believe even Sandolf can tip the hat to that American for the pretty goal.:D

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Caught it on the half volley very nice. It reminded me of Flutie's drop kick... but that is where the simularities end... (shiny scalp vs mullet.. :D).

Strange occurances are continuing. The Schweizerlis defeat Germany... (first time in all of our lifetimes)... England gets their first win over Norway in 31 years.

9. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    These women make me proud... and make Sandolf HOARK! :D

[​IMG]

10. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
  11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Well I did check out the nekkid pictures of the goalkeeper. You know at my age I can't be too fussy anymore. :D

12. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Dang, I didn't see those pictures. :cry:

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Well I made good on my threat to attend the Canada - USA friendly. All in all it was fairly amusing. I wore a Man City shirt to the match... (a sort of victorious coming out of sorts... haha). Interestingly I got more comments from the Americans... (mostly positive). Sandolf in his typical impatience could not wait for the front of the line to buy a ticket. So he buys one from a scalper dead in the middle of the American fan block. As it turned out I could only handle about 10 minutes worth of the Born in the USA singing renditions before I had to move on to look for a vacant seat elsewhere.

The match itself was quite alright. Admittedly I did not learn much I did not already know... but seeing it first hand was definitely worthwhile. I think the Hosers could run with the bigger US team... but lacked some crispness in their passing... (plus their horrendous finishing which is famous). The defending and goalkeeping were top notch though.

One thing... that Jose Alitidore is one huge Mutha... (doesn't look that big on tv... :D).

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/03/canada-holds-us-to-scoreless-draw

15. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0

I had a feeling that you were there.

Ha! And they say Americans don't sing and don't have passion for the game. We most certainly sing, it's usually off-key, but we sing.

I was somewhat disappointed by the midfield play on both sides. Not a lot of creativity to setup plays, except for a few situations that lacked finishing touches on both sides.

I believe Canada can hang strong in WC qualifying coming. The good thing is, the 4th CONCACAF team will have a playoff against the 1st place Oceania team for a WC spot. It would be great to have 4 CONCACAF teams in there. Canada could make that list of 4.

16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    No doubt... and it started with the national anthem. They got fairly good volume just out of one fan block. The passion comes with a certain level of success. Losing in the quarterfinals to Ghana is still lofty heights when it comes to the Hosers. The fans in my section directly behind the Canadian bench were very reserved... except for one elderly lady who would scream "kick it" in a high pitched squeaky voice whenever the ball was loose in either box.

Somewhat better from the Hosers in the second half. But it seems that everything they attempt is that fraction of a second too late. That really is what is defining the level they are currently playing at. They had some good movement down the flanks... and I thought that we were going to get a scoring chance once Klinsmann took off Cherundalo. It came in stoppage time and of course we couldn't bury it.

Still lots of work to do. Maybe with some results in the next couple of matches they will build some confidence.

17. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks, been off here for a few weeks. Vienna are you going to Euro 2012 did I read correctly? Lucky you if you are.

It all kicks off tomorrow.Expectations here in Ireland are low as always. We always seem to be just glad to be at the finals of a major tournament. For us to come out of the group we simply have to get something from our first game against Croatia next Sunday night. One thing I will say however is that the problems in the Italian camp with injury and the match-fixing scandal could work in our favour when we play them next week. Then again it could work in Croatias favour too when they play them.
    All in all I just hope we see some exciting attack minded football, although for those of you that havent seen the Rep of Ireland play, we play a very boring system. But hopefully Spain, Netherlands, Germany etc etc will make up for that with their performances.

Enjoy it everyone!!

18. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Great first day. Pretty exciting 1st match. My Ruskies poured it on in the 2nd game.

19. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0

I shall be sneeking off and landing in Poland later on this month. :)

20. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    First upset of the tournamment. Dansk upsets Oranje.

21. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Wow. The Dutch are in trouble.

Let's see if the Croat's are for real against Italy today.

22. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Sorry PaddyLiam. The Irish drew a tough group. Your fans represented well. Up Ireland!

23. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Thanks man. Everyone is a little deflated here right now. We needed something from the Croatia game last Sunday , we all know that. But our performance was quite poor. Then we were on the receiving end of a footballing lesson by the Spanish. Trappatonis tactics were exposed I feel. He plays his two midfielders just above the centre backs, its a very defensive set up at the best of times, but when you play someone like Spain, you are just asking for trouble.
    One more game versus Italy, we are not expecting anything from it, however it would be nice to depart the tournament with something to show for our efforts.

24. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Well we have been put out of our misery at last. What a disaster from an Irish point of view. It can be said that not one player on the Irish team actually played well in the tournament.

At least now we are nearly down to the big boys, will be fascinating to watch Spain, Germany, Italy etc battle it our for the title.

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    A tough result Paddy... but you can take solace in having made the finals. I wanted to see my ex-City guys Richard Dunne and Shay Given do well. The Euro is a tough tournament to win. Unfortunately it is getting watered down to 24 teams next time.

26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Germany has survived and won the Group of Death and this has provided them a nice path to the finals. Only Greece and then Italy or England stand in their way.

27. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Germany has a clear path to the finals considering the way they have played.

28. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Hey Tyce... sometimes I wish you could read German. Here are a couple of nice ones.

Balotelli, der die Rolle des Underdogs selbst bei seinem Arbeitgeber, dem Scheich-Klub Manchester City, kultiviert, vergrößerte das Unglück der DFB-Auswahl kurze Zeit später. Badstuber und Philipp Lahm hatten ihn beide übersehen, und so konnte er den Ball ungehindert aus 16 Metern zum 0:2 unter die Latte des Tors von Manuel Neuer donnern (36.).

Balotelli, who cultivates the role of underdog even with his employer, the sheik-club Manchester City, increased the misery of the DFB team shortly thereafter. Badstuber and Philipp Lahm both overlooked him, and he was free to thunder the ball from 16 meters under the crossbar of the goal of Manuel Neuer. 0-2 (36th min).

http://www.ftd.de/sport/euro2012/de...rstoert-deutschlands-titeltraum/70056370.html

Jürgen Klinsmann (BBC-Experte und Ex-Bundestrainer): "Wir wurden in der ersten Halbzeit von Italien ausgespielt und dann hat Italien in der zweiten Halbzeit wundervolle Defensivarbeit geleistet. (...) Sie haben die meisten Zweikämpfe im Mittelfeld verloren – das ist entscheidend. Sie konnten Pirlo nicht kontrollieren, sie konnten Montolivo nicht kontrollieren, sie konnten De Rossi nicht kontrollieren – das Spiel wurde im Mittelfeld verloren."

Juergen Klinsmann (BBC expert and former head coach). "We were outplayed in the first half by Italy and then, Italy has made ​​in the second half, a wonderful defensive work (...) They have lost most fights in the middle - this is . critical, they could not control Pirlo, they could not control Montolivo, De Rossi was not controlled -. the game was lost in midfield "

http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/e...ck-sieht-Loew-unter-Rechtfertigungsdruck.html

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    What do you guys think of this article? I lack the perspective of history watching Euro teams, but the guy makes an interesting assertion that Italy has become more like Spain, and Spain more like Italy re style of play

http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1119508/michael-cox-euro-final-preview.html

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    My general feeling FCB is that the game has evolved and is still going through a period of change. The Bosman Ruling of 1995 not only introduced the concept of free agency... it also struck down the quotas on the number of foreign players allowed per team based in the EU. EU law took precedence. If you qualify for a work permit... no league can prejudice you based on nationality. So... will a French or Netherlands based team employ predominantly home grown players? Yes and no. Yes certainly at the developmental level... no when it comes to the very best. Economics force these players to be sold... or allowed to be released to teams in the financially "bigger" leagues. These are the players we are talking about when it comes to the national teams.

Point one is... there is a mixing of football cultures at the club level which is unprecedented. David Silva may be Spanish, Balotelli Italian, and Dzeko Bosnian, but they are all being coached by Roberto Mancini at Man City and he is exerting exactly the SAME influence on all of them. A national team manager may have these guys for a few weeks per year... but it is the manager at the club level who shapes players into what they are.

The second major factor which brought on the revolution in the style of modern football is digital media. Everybody is watching everybody else and reading about everybody else constantly. If... (and Balotelli is your classic example)... a player is on good form, bad form, behaving or misbehaving at a club level... the national team manager knows about it immediately. When I wanted to download a high def copy of the last 5 min of the Man City - QPR game which decided the EPL title... the best quality one I found was with commentary in the Turkish language. Nutzoids like Tyce and I can watch 2nd division German games. As a matter of fact, you can watch pretty much whatever you want... with the possible exception of Africa... some of the Middle East... the Japanese J League... and what is now sprouting in China. Those options are available to the professionals too.

Point two is... tactics in football are dictated by the managers. Whether they are Italian or Spanish is becoming less and less of consequence. If in the past tactics were gleaned from other teams in the same league... now teams in other leagues can provide an even better example. Managers at this level are not stupid guys... (as I have long maintained that Norv is not a stupid guy). If LT sucks... you throw the ball more. Same with this game. You can play what is perceived as a Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German or Ukrainian system... but if you do not have the players to pull it off and you lose... the torch bearing cretins of this world... (and Bolttalk can boast a fine selection)... will be after your head faster than Jack can spooge a Paris Hilton pic. The German`s semi-final loss was down to tactical errors from Jogi Loew... (imo). He started the wrong players in the wrong shape for the 1st half... corrected it for the 2nd, but found himself down 2-0. Previously everything he had touched turned to gold. That match was a turd... (and he is of course hearing about it).

My conclusion is that the article you posted is based on a rather weak labeling semantic. Managers have to adapt. If David Villa wasn`t injured Spain would be more Spanish. But Balotelli playing for them would make them more Spanish too. Too bad Aguero is Argentinian... Shevchenko is Ukrainian... or Ibrahimovich is a Swede. Any of those would due.

• Informative Informative x 1