1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

World Football/Futbol/Fußball and Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ViennaLager, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0

First of all, I consider it high praise to be called a nutzoid. That's pretty awesome.

Sceondly, I actually agree with Sandy about what I quoted above, and normally it's against policy for me to agree with Sandy on such matters. :D Besides, I prefer international football as opposed to club football.

I was truly disappointed at the German loss. I absolutely would've started Klose, Reus and Prinz Poldi (who did start), but Kroos started in place of Reus which made sense to no one except Loew.

We have WC qualifying starting so that's fun. I predict USA, Mexico, Costa Rica and "Kanada" qualify from the CONCACAF region with Kanada beating whatever OCEANIA team places 1st in the playoff game to qualification.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Awesome post Sandy, though I question the above comparison. Not sure that's possible.

3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    I think we developed a really good banter during the Gold Cup. You don`t disagree for the sake of argument... and I have toned down my anti-Americanism to more reasonable levels... :D. It was a good trade off.

I could see what was intended, but it simply didn`t work. Kroos was brought on as man coverage for Pirlo and was supposed to take him out of the game. Pirlo`s movement left the Germans weak on their right flank and the Italians exploited this on both of the goals. If Jerome Boateng was a world class right back... one... it would have been Pablo Zabaletta or Micah Richards looking for a new job at City... two... he could have compensated somewhat by dominating the space Kroos had vacated chasing Pirlo. Jogi took off Poldi and moved Kroos over to the left flank and inserted Reus over there and brought on Klose... (which proved to be the proper remedy)... but then Pirlo was free to help with the maintain possession / kill the clock strategy for the second half.

Cheers Tyce. Kanada has to better Honduras and Panama. It remains a big challenge.

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Thank you sir. The comparison may be invalid, but I am hardly about to conduct any research to prove my point. :eek:

5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Goal!!! David Silva. 1-0 Spain!

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Wow! The left back scores. 2-0. Spain looks pretty darn good. They have done to Italy what Italy did to Germany.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Despite that article's shortcomings and my inexperience with such comparisons in futbol, I'm gonna have to say that in the first half Spain played Spanish style and the Italians opted for Bradleyball.:eek:

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Well even the Detroit Red Wings played Bradleyball under the intense forechecking pressure of the Nashville Predators. Some things are just not to be.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Not really an internet debate that needs resolving ;)

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Probably the most all-around series-to-series physical year I've seen in the NHL Playoffs. And one of the most physical teams won it all.

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Today is the opening day of NHL free agency. It will be interesting to see if the LA Kings' success will be emulated by others. With Lidstrom gone I wonder if the Red Wings can rebuild their one touch quick passing game. They would be the NHL version of FC Barcelona... but can they win with that style in a series against a team like Los Angeles? Regular season games don't count for much individually.

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    No, but how many guys is LA going to lose in FA?

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Damn, just reading up on Kings--no sig losses to FA..

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    So, the tournaments over.......... I guess we can locked down this thread now. :D

15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Only after 25,000 posts... (although this board my be technically superior to the CMB). At this rate that would take until after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    Only "technically" superior? ;)

17. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    I didn't see the need to smother Pirlo. Reus is faster and crisper IMO. The Germans should've played their game more instead of playing to the opposition, and once again, Italy was their bogeyman.

Had a hard time watching the final. Neither Spain nor Italy makes a beer worth quaffing. :roflmao:

18. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Piss off Blewy. You jerk. ;)

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    Maybe it's the tequila, but that comment doesn't bother me in the least. ;)

20. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    I survived for some time on San Miguel. Spain remains my favorite country. Italy... (despite the people being somewhat more complicated)... would due just fine too.

[​IMG]

21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    If you were to choose a Chess club the overriding factor would be the quality of the players. Nicer chessboards, notation books, or clocks would hardly enter the equation. Åsshole management that would disqualify you for showing up a minute late for a game, swearing, or smoking too close to the entrance certainly would be a deterrent. Although I have found that you can work your way around that too.

BUT... when the culture of the place sees other players come over to your board and sneer, make snide comments, or engage in backstabbing by denouncing your style of play as inferior... THEN it is time to play somewhere else.

THIS thread is here because the one on the CMB was constantly being trolled. Sybill and the Sisters couldn't leave it alone. Sure we lost some good posters too, but it wasn't worth the aggravation in my estimation.

CMB vs BT?

In a lot of ways it is just a saw off. Gleaning information on the Chargers may still favor .com. Main board spewing is magnified over there because of the traffic volume. If you nominate our greatest moron to take on Al "TD" Bundy in a battle of wits... hard to say who wins / loses.

But the Off Topic section here should be vastly superior as its participants generally interact as mature adults. The banter thread over at the CMB has degenerated to CT and the Mod faction, Gooey, the Sisters and a bunch of kiddies. It would be mighty difficult for you Blew to make enough backhanded comments to take this place down to that level!

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    I never had a strong backhand, as a kid....... that's why I went with the two hander. ;)

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Sounds like you could make a more valuable contribution to a hockey thread.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    I went to a few San Diego Sockers games as a kid....... that was a bit like a soccer/hockey hybrid. Certainly more action than the traditional version.

26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Perhaps more action... but certainly at the expense of more sophisticated tactics due to the smaller playing field.

27. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Nice BBC take Sandy.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with indoor soccer. I went to many games, including championship games. It's the best team SD ever had. Fernando Clavijo, Brian Quinn, Kevin Crow, Zoltan Toth, Branko Segota, Waad Hirmez, Kaz Deyna, Hugo Perez, Julie Veee, Jean Willrich, Steve Zungul and coach Ron Newman. Amazing teams we had.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 48 / -26
    Tactics, shmactics......... we want scoring!!! At least the Sockers actually won a few championships....... something most of our local teams have been unable to do.

I also watched a few Gulls games at the Sports Arena. The worst acoustics of any arena I've ever been to..... just atrocious. You couldn't understand a word the announcer was saying through the PA. To say nothing of the concerts I saw there as a teenager..... the mind boggles. :D

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    [​IMG]

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Amusingly... two dates with my Bottom Ten list have been set.

July 17th: Manchester City plays number 7 Dynamo Dresden in a friendly.
    July 21th: Stuttgarter Kickers open their 3. Liga campaign at number 8 Hansa Rostock. :D

World Football/Futbol/Fußball and Soccer Thread