1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

World Football/Futbol/Fußball and Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ViennaLager, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Complaint Response CAS-1545356-F4WBL8

Thanks for contacting us regarding our ‘Euro 2012’ coverage.

We understand you felt the commentators and presenters were biased against Mario Balotelli throughout our coverage. We appreciate in your view, they made a series of snide and offensive remarks which were unnecessary.

Mario Balotelli has been a controversial figure throughout his career in both Italy and England. In common with various media and press in both countries, our pundits have acknowledged both his youth and undoubted footballing talent, but have had to comment from time to time on various disciplinary issues both on and off the pitch, and his repeated raw displays of dissent and frustration. Jose Mourinho described him as "unmanageable" and both his current club and international managers - Mancini and Prandelli - have expressed concerns that his talent could go to waste unless he changes his ways. Our team's comments, while sometimes reflecting those concerns, have across the programme been balanced and fair.

Please be assured, we do appreciate your strength of feeling on this. Therefore your complaint has been registered on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Sport team, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

meh... It seems lots of City fans complained about the comments regarding Mario in particular and they decided to lump me in with those. A good way to maintain "balance" I suppose.

2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    If any of you buy stock in the Rags... Sandolf will forget he ever knew you. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-listed-New-York-stock-exchange-Glazers.html

RVP appears to be forcing Arsenal's hand. They can hardly afford to let him play out his final year of his contract and lose him on a free transfer. Gooners' fans are going to be pissed... (and totally enraged should he sign on at City).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...van-Persie-refuses-sign-Arsenal-contract.html

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...ews/what-next-for-robin-van-persie_33247.html

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    (just a commentary I wish to store here)

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=399914

I appreciate your view vene. BVB have been an established club for decades. They have the culture, the fan base and the stadium to attract even the type of player you mentioned. Now if you make Borussia Moenchengladbach, 1.FC Koeln or Fortuna Duesseldorf into a world footballing power... indeed that may be a better comparison to City. Sure BVB had debt issues like Man U. have now. But don`t you believe even if the Glazers run Ferguson and co into the ground, that their name will not continue to attract players? City had to get there first and their stadium a little over half the capacity of Old Trafford is still a problem. Arsenal did theirs at the expense of some flexibility on the player market. City have accelerated their process, but over the long term or the short term the money had to be spent to gain international recognition. Five years ago I could not find a City shirt in all of Toronto. Last year I bought one in Niagara Falls.

Sorry to burst your bubble vene... but FFP is going to hurt the mid to lower teams like the Aston Villas of this world more than it is going to put the brakes on the elite. It will prevent them from taking on a debt load to build or expand stadiums and will prevent them from taking on a high salary in the hopes of selling on for even more in the upper reaches of the market. The Abu Dhabi Group saw their narrowing window of opportunity closing... and therefore had to act quickly. What was perceived by many as reckless spending was actually very sound planning. Not for the one EPL title... just barely as the negative ones have posted here. Rather to lay a foundation for participating at the highest level for decades.

Sorry vene, you are dead wrong. Manchester City has reflected well on the status of Abu Dhabi world wide. When foreign dignitaries come to visit Sheikh Monsour the first question is invariably... "how is that football team of yours doing"? To dump it would dump the tremendous PR value it is enjoying. It is anything but a "toy". That is just a label the envious love to affix to it without understanding the culture of the owners who are very serious businessmen indeed. The story of the academy is exactly what was anticipating from you... and again... you are dead wrong about that too. You have to realize that what we see today in FC Barcelona is a project 20 years in the making. I am not familiar with the entire story... but still a considerable amount of it. Man City's academy has boasted relative success for a team of its size even in the days preceding their wealth. Micah Richards is a product, Shawn Wright Phiilips, Steven Ireland, Daniel Sturridge... (if that name rings a bell). Joe Hart was bought as a teenager from Shrewsport and was educated at City. The owners have very big plans for City's academy similar to the Barcelona model. It too must reach the next level... but even in the Barcelona model, this did not happen in a few short years. The FFP rule is flawed as it does not act like a salary cap. Outlays are only regulated as percentages of intakes. What you earn can be manipulated. Especially if you take sponsors and endorsements into consideration. Without investment... (even if its not your own money)... there is no gain.

Nice post Petronius. Uli Hoeness moaning about Man City is some of the darkest comedy I`ve ever heard. If I were to begin to list what FC Bayern has taken from others over the years... Gomez - VfB Stuttgart... Schweinsteiger - Hertha Berlin... Klose - Werder Bremen... Ballack - Bayer Leverkusen... Stefan Effenberg - Borussia Moenchengladbach... this list would go on and on and dwarf what I`ve already written here. Again... thanks to the mods for letting us carry out this discussion.

Just as aside vene... I know parts of the Middle East because I used to work there. Unfortunately I can assess that mentality better than what crosses the mind of a prairie farmer or an east coast fisherman despite me living in Canada. Businessmen in the Gulf are planning for what happens when the oil runs out or when the world reduces its consumption of it. These were all once poor countries and they have no intention of returning to that past. They wish to attract foreign business, fill those mighty highrises and sell real estate to the influential. What message does it send when they "toy" with an expensive football club and toss it to the curb like spoiled brats? On the contrary. If they take on a project they are to show the world that they can make a success out of it. Boredom and nonchalance will never enter into the equation. Trust me.

vene - I don't know if affixing blame is appropriate. If a player decides it is time to leave, then some fans get upset. If a player waits too long, eventually the club will tell him it is time to leave and some fans get upset. It just seems weird seeing Raul play for Schalke 04. But these are the realities. I really don't have an opinion on RVP one way or another. The thinking might be that City require another top striker to win the CL. I am very happy with what we have now... (barring any further cases of homesickness or distaste for Manchester restaurants from Carlos Tevez).

While I do not dispute your assessment of City in the CL vene, I think it fair to say they have already improved. I would not place so much stock in a single match at the Allianz. The margin of victory at Napoli was a defensive howler by Gareth Barry. These things happen and could happen to FC Bayern too on any given occasion. Whether of not City can win is tempered by the fact that not all that long ago the team needed two late goals to win a relegation playoff at the third tier of English football. These are heady times. So if they don't win the CL in their 1st or 2nd shot at it... so be it. Look at how many runs at it Chelsea needed before finally hoisting the trophy.

vene... last night I was looking at a You Tube clip of goals scored by an 18 year old Argentinian 2nd division player named Paulo Dybala. He is touted as the next Aguero and has drawn interest. These are the times we live in. His club Instituto will sell to the highest bidder. So.... on the one hand you state the Kagawa example and say this is okay for BVB to maximize gain, but on the other hand you would condemn Hazard or RVP for doing the same thing. The 1995 Bosman ruling created equality for both sides. Pining for the old days is not going to bring them back.

well thanks for this debate vene. It has been a good exchange of viewpoints. There will always be the differences in opinions. Some will think Prandelli should have parked the bus in the Euro 2012 final instead of getting demolished 4-0 by the Spanish. Others may commend him for giving it a sporting try. As with FC Bayern's defeat in the CL... people will remember who won... but the memory of valiant losers will fade except for the very few.

5. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    ^^^

I think I can see both sides of your points. I think Vene may have a better take on BVB with his take, but your probably more correct on City's take, although slightly biased it may be. :D

But Vene is correct when he says that it will depend on how FFP is applied. My take is that FFP as it is defined today is wrong. It's not fair by any means. It needs to be addressed and re-defined and I can't agree that it will hurt mid-level teams if FFP can be applied in a "fair" way. It obviously works better in the NFL format as our "salary cap".

Of course, this is why I love international soccer better than club soccer. It's more about the pride of the fans of their country. The Gunners loved RVP, how can they love him now? But people will always love their country... more-less :D

6. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Seriously, the more I think about it, 1. FC Koeln vs St Pauli might be a good idea, being that the game be played in Cathedral City. :D Will give us some banter. It will be like the Chargers (Billy Goats) vs Raiders (St. Pauli). :roflmao:

7. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    I think vene was cherry picking by bringing up Kagawa. Sure turning $300k in $17 mil is great. But how often does that happen? And wouldn't you rather want to keep the guy out of sporting reasons?

MIG is having internet problems... but I will harass him to make his pick. I have a feeling I know which way you are going to go. :D

[​IMG]

8. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    - Vene was cherry picking, but it did make some sense.

- What the hell is wrong with the internet in Kanada?

- Oh, my "buddy" Che. And to think we share the same birthday.

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    True. But as my last post stated... you can't laud clubs for maximizing financial gain and condemn players for doing the same thing.

Nothing if you consider how much I posted yesterday. Seems to be a local issue at Miguel's place.

We used to slag the USA pretty badly in the draft banter. You have entered the realm of pretty diverse company in many respects. :D

10. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    I'll take care of that. :p

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  12. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
  13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    I thought you might like that.

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  16. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
  17. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  18. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    FIFA rankings are always a joke. The formula for deciding points is stupid. Even when the USA was once ranked like 6th or 8th, even I know that was inflated due to playing a large amount of CONCACAF teams during that qualifying period, even though we had beaten Mexico.

LOL at Australia being ranked that high...

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  20. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    That looks like a menacing schedule for my Smokey Biers.

Fürth II
    1860'er II
    Bayern II
    Augsburg II
    Ingolstadt II
    Nürnberg II
    1860 Rosenheim
    SpVgg Bayern Hof

21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Smokey beers for the 3. Liga. That would be great!

btw... if your cat box comment was intended to bring on the Sisters... it worked a charm.

22. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    You know we all call it the litter box over here. :D

I determined to make a regular game this year.

Ahhh.... Bamberg. Spezial, Keesman, Faasla, Mars, Schlenkerla... It's just a special place.

23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
  24. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
  25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Glasgow Rangers had to declare bankruptcy on 30 mil GBP of back taxes. It is always a possibility that a governing body like the FA or the German DFB will not grant a license for a club to compete in a league due to insolvency. Glasgow had hoped only to drop down one division. The clubs at that tier protested... so Rangers were placed in the fourth tier. Clubs there draw about 200 - 500 spectators. Rangers play in a stadium that holds 55,000. :D

They may also be hit with a 3 year transfer embargo... making their path back way more difficult than corrupt teams like Juventus and Lazio have faced in Italy.

As far as my opinion goes Tyce... you don't believe me anyway. I have said FFP is going to hurt the small clubs more. West Ham operated with the highest budget in the history of the Championship in order to gain immediate promotion. It almost backfired as it went into the playoff. But at least they were permitted in the present structure to take that risk.

26. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Wow... dang.

When you look at the Premier League BEFORE Man City won the title this year, over the past 16 years there were only 3 different champions, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. Doesn't sound like the FFP is working correctly.

27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    That is true Tyce. But... let's say for example that the dubious ex-Thai President Shinawatra would have managed to plod along with City another five years and sold the team to the Abu Dhabi Group now. FFP would prevent them from operating at a loss and you STILL would have those three teams dominating the league despite City having the money. The new owner could only maybe make one key addition per year under the budget cap of FFP. The Rags and the others would start gaining even more ground.

Suffice it to say... even if a money bags owner shows up to buy Rangers, what is he going to do with it?

28. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Right, so isn't the best option to totally re-do the FFP? I mean, totally start all over.

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Most definitely. I do not know if EU law would prevent UEFA from imposing a NFL style salary cap, but that system works better. Let the transfer market float, put no restrictions on what you pay for transfers, but limit the club's weekly outlay for player's salaries.

As much as I love City... you can't be paying Adebayor 105,000 GBP a week to play for Spurs!

30. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Right on Sandy. Now we are starting to see eye to eye.