1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Worst left tackle situation in the NFL"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 7, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    What does King Dunlap offer Chargers?
    May, 7, 2013
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

While things can change, the odds are the San Diego Chargers will head to the 2013 season withKing Dunlap as their left tackle.

He was signed early in free agency, presumably to provide depth at both tackle spots. But because the Chargers have been unable to address their most glaring hole, Dunlap, who was with the Eagles, is first in line to get the chance to protect Philip Rivers' blindside.

The other options are using Mike Harris or Kevin Haslam. Both players started multiple games last season, but neither appears to be strong options. The free-agent market is very thin at this point.

“It’s not a good situation,” ESPN's Matt Williamson said. “I would say it is the worst left tackle situation in the NFL ... I would go with Dunlap of those terrible options.”

Williamson said Dunlap did not play too poorly last year, but he also thinks Dunlap is best suited for right tackle. That is not an option in San Diego with the team taking D.J. Fluker with the No. 11 overall pick.

“He has great size, but he is heavy-footed and can really struggle to play low enough due to his extreme height,” Williamson said of the 6-foot-9, 330-pound Dunlap. “At best, he is a right tackle athlete and not suited to playing on the left side. But he actually didn’t play as terrible last year as many assume ... With his size and long arms, he can be one of those OTs that take an extra step to get around in protection -- that might be his greatest asset.”

At this point, the Chargers will take any positive involving a tough situation.
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,277 / 12 / -5
    Hmm...so Bill Williamson wrote the article for ESPN. He quoted Matt Williamson, who also works for ESPN. That's some pretty coincidental (last name) & convenient (same network) reporting right there. :roflmao:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Bill Williamson has no connections, because most other sports writers are put off by the wagon and team of Clydesdales required to transport his bulk.
    • Old Old x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    12m

Max Starks is visiting the Chargers today, league source confirms. Projects as starting left tackle in San Diego if he signs.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Oh, so they are that desperate after all. ;)
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Report: Max Starks visiting Chargers

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT

Getty Images
    The list of capable veteran tackles has gotten shorter in the days after the draft with Bryant McKinnie re-signing with Baltimore and Tyson Clabo joining Dallas.

Now, the Chargers are reportedly taking a look at one of the more dependable left tackles still on the market. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, San Diego hosted free-agent tackle Max Starks on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Starks started all 16 games at left tackle for Pittsburgh in 2012. However, the Steelers could be going young at the position, with Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert looking likely to be the starters if the club doesn’t add any other tackles. Also, the Steelers signed ex-Jaguars tackle Guy Whimper for depth earlier this week.

Whimper is a right tackle, the position Starks played when he entered the NFL. Over the years, though, Starks has become a serviceable left tackle, and he has helped Pittsburgh get through the last two seasons at the position.

Starks would not figure to be a long-term option for the Chargers, but he would give them a solid pro on the left side for 2013 and would add another experienced veteran to the line.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    As much as we'd all like to believe Telesco had a master plan, that maybe Dunlap has untold potential, I think this is a clear sign that this is not the case.

I'd rather see us trade for Saffold or Monroe, cuz honestly I see this as a 4 or 5 win team right now even with Starks.
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Ever the optimist. :roflmao:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,277 / 12 / -5
    We're running out of options at this point. At least Starks & Dunlap bring experience and little baggage with them.
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Starks prepared to part ways with Steelers
    By Mark Kaboly
    Published:
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

Max Starks planned on spending a football-free weekend at Churchill Downs with his stylish tan fedora hat perched on top of his head and enjoying his first Kentucky Derby.
    Well, the football-free part of the weekend didn't actually go as planned.
    Starks had a “couple of conversations” over the weekend with a few NFL organizations, including a brief telephone conversation with the Steelers, and is anticipating getting a deal done with a team before organized team activities kick off around the league in two weeks.
    One thing has become clear to Starks over the past couple days: He won't return for a 10th season with the Steelers.
    When the Steelers added veteran tackle Guy Whimper on Monday, it signified the end of Starks' time with the Steelers, or that's how Starks viewed it.
    “Let me say this, (Starks and the Steelers) had a conversation prior (to the Whimper signing), and that decision (to sign Whimper) was made after our conversation,” Starks said.
    “Now it wasn't said directly to me, but you kind of take that as an indication of what they are thinking. It is not so much on my part as more of them wanting to move on.”
    Unlike the two previous times the Steelers appeared to part ways with Starks — right before training camp in 2011 and again following the season that year — this one likely will stick for a couple of reasons.
    • The Steelers are comfortable and feel the need to move forward with recent consecutive-year second-round picks Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams at both tackle spots.
    • Unlike years past, Starks isn't coming off an injury, making him a valuable commodity.
    “(The Steelers) feel that age is the greatest indicator,” Starks said. “Of course, I don't believe that.”
    The best-case scenario for the Steelers always was to sign Starks to provide depth and experience at a position where it is greatly needed.
    After the starting five offensive linemen, the Steelers' 10 backups on the 90-man roster have 27 career starts with 22 of them coming from Whimper. Seven of the 10 backups are either rookies or first-year guys with all of them being undrafted.
    At 31 and feeling “the best I've felt over the past five years,” Starks doesn't view himself as a backup.
    “After playing 100 percent of the snaps the previous year, I don't think I am, at this point, ready to be a backup swing tackle guy just yet,” Starks said. “I have proven over the past couple years that I am still starter-capable.”
    Starks started 96 games since being the third-round pick of the Steelers in 2004. Starks played all 1,086 offensive snaps last year —the only player on the team who did — despite coming off a torn ACL nine months prior.
    “They want Marcus and Mike to start, and I understand that,” Starks said. “Anywhere I go, as long as I have the opportunity to compete for the starting job, I am happy. I don't want to come in and them say that I am just a backup for depth purposes. If you give me the opportunity to compete on an even basis, I am more than happy.”
    Starks visited the Chargers on Wednesday, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported. Starks also didn't rule out coming back to the AFC North. With Cincinnati re-signing Andre Smith to go along with veteran Andrew Whitworth and Baltimore bringing back Bryant McKinnie to pair with Michael Oher, that leaves only Cleveland.
    “There is a lot of interest out of there,” Starks said. “It is definitely heating up.”
  11. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    What? How is that possible? How are we a worse team then we were last year? IMO we have less holes and problems then we did last year, and the 53 man roster isn't even assembled yet(in hindsight knowing what Gaither turned into)

The o-line is a significant improvement already over last year, even without Starks. The addition of Fluker at RT, and Clary moving to G(or being cut altogether) is a big improvement in itself. Troutman return to compete at G is also promising, I'm expecting him to get significant playing time this year, but we need to see how that develops. The run game should get a huge boost. This will also help PR get sacked less. Last year all we had at LT was Haslam and Harris. Dunlap existing at LT is a improvement in it self. With Starks it would seem we would have a even bigger improvement over last year at the position and added depth. A satisfactory stop gap tell we draft a LT in next years draft.

We've lost some key veterans on the defense side of the ball with Franklin at NT and Takeo spikes, but we've seemed to address those issues with Te'o and some promising udfa's. Also there's a lot more opportunity for the talented younger players like Liuget, Reyes and Ingram to step up now. All of which were great least season. I'm expecting Liuget to be one of the future defensive stars in the league. Him and Reyes on either end is pretty impressive. If AJ did one thing good, is he left us with decent defensive players in his last two drafts. Obviously there's still some concerns in the secondary, but so was there last season. Cox is a step in the right direction.

I honestly would rather see us 4-12 than see us go 10-6 or 9-7 and loose in the wild card round, and get a draft pick in the top 5. A 4-12 season just worries me for Phillip Rivers and what that would mean for his future and career with the chargers. Regardless 9-7 or 10-6 is exactly what I see happening with the Chargers this season.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21

1. Teams who overhaul their coaching staff rarely improve in year 1.

2. O-line: Maybe a little better in run blocking, but its still a disaster as far as keeping Philip Rivers (the least mobile starting QB in the league) upright. Our LT Dunlap is a career backup, he failed in Philly because he is a terrible run blocker and a clumsy pass blocker. We don't even know who our starting LG is yet, could be Clary or Ohrenberger. We basically swapped Vasquez for Rinehart...a clear downgrade. And Fluker who is an earth mover, but is again a mediocre pass blocker with heavy feet. At best you could say we've drawn even.

3. Defense: I do like our front 7, + Weddle and Cox. The problem thats going to undermine this whole operation is our lack of pass rushers, letting Barnes walk was foolish because now its Ingram (who remember had only 1 sack last year) and NOBODY else. And don't count on Liuget and Reyes getting consistent pressure, that's how you get into Ted Cottrell philosophy trying to turn 300+ pound D-linemen into pass rushers. CBs can only hold their man for so long.

Bottom line for me is we still have a weak O-line, a weak pass rush, and an entirely new coaching staff (other than Pagano). 2013 wreaks of transition.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Wow, Norv must've been a genius to win 7 games with Mike Harris at left tackle. ;)
  14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    1. I think your underestimating Coach McCoy and what hes bringing to the table here. I don't see the coaching overall as bring us down this year, but only improving our chances here, even in year 1. It seems like the team is really embracing the transition. I also really like the addition of Woodhead and the different looks that will bring to the offense.

2. Yes the loss of Vasquez is a downgrade. But Fluker, Clary to G(if it happens), and Dunlap are all improvements. I don't see that quite as a wash, but hypothetically if they land Starks its definitely an improvement. You said even with Starks we were worse off than last year. With Starks I don't see it being debatable as the overall line being an upgrade.

EDIT: Also why in the world did we let Vasquez go, to the Broncos no less? He was the sole bright spot on the line. Only 26 years old. Could we really find no way to afford him? The line is a pressing need. I don't see the logic here.

3. Yes pass rush is worse off than last year with the loss of Barnes and Phillips(guy had a lot of sacks last year, but we sent him a TON). To Ingram's credit though he had a ton of hurries. He could of easily walked away with 6+ sacks last season. I'm expecting this #1 pick to step up and fill this need in a big way next season. Remember that bust of a 1st rounder English(lol)? Now its his opportunity to show up with Barnes and Phillips gone. We've always been hearing hes unblockable in camp. We'll see.
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    1. That because we have no reason to overestimate him, yet. I absolutely believe smart coaching can hide some of our O-line problems, and I'd love to believe McCoy is one of those guys...but we have to see it first...remember Peyton Manning pretty much ran his own offense with McCoy as honorary OC.

2. Fluker is an unknown, Clary at guard is an unknown, and Dunlap has failed before and even if he's better than Harris you can't consider him reliable....I would not call any of them obvious improvements. Starks I probably would take over Dunlap.

3. Ingram needs to show HUGE improvement, his job is only going to get harder without a complimentary rusher on the other side like Phillips. Johnson is no threat at all and neither is English. I have a feeling you're going to see opposing QBs just camping out and waiting for the WRs to beat their man.

Of course this is all guesswork and banter, but at face value I don't see how we win 7 games. All it will take is an injury to Ingram and bam we're giving up 30+ points a game.
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Best situation for us would be to sign Max Starks and then bring in John Abraham.

I know Abraham is 35 but last year ATL used him in nickel/ dime role. They used him (and we should too) the way we used Barnes last season and he was more effective.

He would be a pretty good stop gap until we get that situation fixed. Just the the old man pin his ears back and go get the QB
  17. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
  18. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    exactly. By Matilack's logic we should be giving Norv coach of the year honors for last season.

I fail to see us as a worse team than last season. Just don't see it. I'm bookmarking this thread, so I can come back to it as the season progress's, to see who'll be eating crow.
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    No by matilack's logic teams with no pass rush, poor pass blocking, and a new coaching staff rarely (if ever) make the playoffs. And even if Norv was here I'd set the over/under at 6 wins and wouldn't be shocked if we won 4 or 8, the only way I'll be dumbstruck is if we make the playoffs.

Firing Norv was absolutely the right move, the guy is a life long loser who will never win a Super Bowl as a HC, keeping him was like watching this team run on a tread mill while slowly and consistently sliding back as the speed increased. That said we don't know what McCoy is yet, I think its safer to assume we're not just going to hit the ground running to 10 wins, even if our O-line is slightly better and our pass rush is a lot worse.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Matty doesn't use logic. ;)
    • Old Old x 1
  21. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    So can anyone explain me why we let Vasquez go? He was the only bright spot on the oline and was still very young. You would of thought it would of been a priority to fit him into the budget and rework the cap to make it possible.
  22. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    They let Vasquez go because they could draft Fluker and Pay him less for more years of service.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,676 / 44 / -26
    Because, he was too much money for the available cap space. It was a business decision, and one I agree with.

Vasquez had a good year, but he was never a great run blocker. I don't see him having the value that the Broncos put on him. But then, they had lots of cap space...... we didn't.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Right now I think that we'll be lucky to win more than 6 games.

TEXANS
    AT EAGLES
    AT TITANS
    COWBOYS
    AT RAIDERS
    COLTS
    AT JAGUARS
    BYE
    AT REDSKINS
    BRONCOS
    AT DOLPHINS
    AT CHIEFS
    BENGALS
    GIANTS
    AT BRONCOS
    RAIDERS
    CHIEFS

The red are games that I think we have less chance of winning than losing, and the bold are games I think we have no chance of winning. Of the remaining black games, I really don't feel like any of them are locks to be wins.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    Man honestly i dont want even 6 wins, i see it as if we suck for 1 year, Get taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews and sure up our LT spot we'll be better off on the o line. Dont get me wrong i want the superbowl, but im high on jake matthews.
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    It looks like there is only one way to go and that should be up.
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    Looks like the "bigger picture" crowd can happily pencil in Lewan or Matthews to be our LT of the future. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I really would like us to get that Alabama LT Cyrus Kouandjio, but honestly if we're going to suck let's do it right and get Clowney. I know LT is still the biggest issue, but it isn't every day you get the chance to get a pass rusher with Clowney's skills.
  29. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 2 / -1
    You guys realize that no Rivers led team is going to suck bad enough to get in the top 5 to 7 picks to get Clowney, Lewan, or Mathews right? As much as people have maligned him over the last 2 years, as much as we know we still have issues on the line, and even though we are going through a scheme change, Rivers is just too good of a QB to not win a few games here and there, especially with the addition of some O-Line and some new skill players (Woodhead and Allen). 7-9 was an abberation, I see us 8-8 or 9-7, possibly sneaking into the playoffs before an early exit. Another mid round pick is inc. for us. Now its very possible we could trade up to take one of these guys if we decide we need to.
  30. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0

It's not always about a team being worse than last year. A team could put better players on the field, and still have less wins than the previous year. What he said was that this is a 4-5 win team right now even with Starks. He didn't say that the team we are putting on the field has less talent. The thing is, the teams in our division are a bit better, our schedule was a bit tougher this year, and we have a new coaching staff. So while we may put a more talented team on the field the wins could still drop. I have them at 6 wins this year.