1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Yankees Arrogance Continues On

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Deb, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    TrojanHorse wrote this, I think it's a great article, and it's been on my mind for a week. My question to you guys...on the subject of retiring a number across the board...is there ever a BEST EVER? Is there ever just one player that single-handedly deserves that recognition....not just for Babe Ruth in baseball but any sport?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I think there's an argument to be said because much as the home run and McGuire/Sosa brought baseball out of the strike tint, Babe Ruth in turn gave baseball an excitement and a character that they really hadn't had (and on a national level with the advent of radio) in the game before.

I wouldn't tie it off as 'yankee arrogance' but it is an interesting idea
  3. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    While I agree that there is no more arrogant team and fan base in any sport than that of the New York Yankees, this is not the best example. It's more a person who is fiercely proud of her family, that let that pride turn in to jealousy when she should have kept her mouth shut. Now if Hank Steinbrenner had said this, then that would be a whole different story. . .
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    The game of baseball will always and forever be bigger than one player.

Look back on the history of the game and you will see individual accomplishments that stand out over the decades. But, without the game and 8 guys on the field, those achievements would never have happened.

imo

:tup:
  5. SnappySammy

SnappySammy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Personally I think number "7" should be retired in every sport in honor of Mickey Mantle....

" I'll drink to that"