1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Yet another Rivers Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Dec 7, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    When I think of this years Chargers squad, our record and our chances at post season success, I keep coming right back to our QB...

I am not confident in him right now. I know I will hear that his numbers in the last two games have been descent to good. I know this...It's not the numbers that bother me. It is his poise. He really doesn't display good pocket presence or poise. I saw it last year, and it appears a few times each game.

Time and time again, I see opposing QB's or QB's from other games, stepping into the pockets, feeling the rush and finding a reciever. It kills me when a 5 step drop bleeds out and away from the rush instead of finding the pocket and delivering the ball. He can make all of the throws. And has a plus arm, its his footwork and presence that are his down falls.

Last year I thought he threw some of the better passes I had seen a Charger QB throw. I remember commenting that he threw numerous balls that only our guy could get. He had a poise and confidence in him last year that I don't see this year.

IMO the QB is the flavor/tone of the team on offense and it bleeds over into the "D" as well. Teams can combat LT or at least give it one helluva effort if Rivers is out of his game. If we can't run and our QB is struggling we are done.

I know the horse is dead....I just need to know what it's going to take to get him back to the player that felt the game? What is it going to take to get him back at the level that we saw mid season 2006? When 'that' PR comes back, we are arguably the best team in football.

Is anyone else seeing something different?

:deadhorse:
  2. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It's like he refuses to look anywhere but the side lines and swing passes.
    and maybe a prayer pass to Gates.
  3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    He did everything correctly on to plays two weeks ago versus B-Mo and on one play last week vs KC...All were middle of the field plays, looks as if he got a read pre snap read and hit his first option. V Baltimore both were to Gates one for a TD and the other was a quick slant. Last week the TD to Jackson was a very good example of what Rivers can do.

TBF
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I think you are compartmentalizing (what did I say?) Rivers play solely on this year.

If you remember the last third of the season last year, Rivers was eating **** the same way we see him doing this year. I see the "Yo-yo" syndrome as I call it, extending back to last year. It is as if he hit a sophomore slump in mid season or so last year.
  5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0

Oh...I remember late last year very well...I wrote about PR's woes starting last year in the newest bugle (which by the way can be found by clicking here...

My point today is that this is our team, our QB...He is not difficult to game plan and we will rise and fall via PR. I know he has it in him, we saw it many times last year. My hope is that, "that" PR will return.

TBF
    • Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    While I agree that Rivers footwork can sometimes be poor, he also has made some tremendous throws off his back foot. The guy is never going to have impeccable mechanics. Clearly, stepping up in the pocket is preferable, but sometimes it's not possible. If there is pressure up the middle, it's good to know that Rivers can take a couple steps back and still make an accurate throw. I agree that you don't want to see Rivers backpedaling when he doesn't need to, but he does seem to be rounding into form.
  7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Fully agree with the commentary and as Trumpy said this started the second half of last year. He had great protection the first half of last year. He doesn't fare well when they bring the heat. Doesn't have the feel for where the rushers are headed and how to avoid them while expending as little energy as possible, a knack the good ones have.

I think what it takes to improve is coaching drilling him with the basics.

Throw off the correct foot, hang in the pocket until there is no other option, look to move forward in the pocket toward your receivers rather than back away from them, and finally know where your second and third options are on the field. The last one is the one that really needs alot of game experience, the others can be corrected in a matter of weeks with concentrated coaching IMO.

It took Fouts about 4 years to build his pocket presence. PR needs some more time. I would feel better though if he seemed to recognize his issues.
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    I'm sure that Rivers and his coaches are more aware of his issues than you or I. All three of the 30+ yard throws Rivers made in KC last week came against blitz pressure, but because the protection was good. Rivers was able to hang in the pocket and get the ball downfield.
  9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Great points, everyone. PR is far and away my #1 concern heading into the stretch run.

It's a combination of everything. When a play breaks down, there is ZERO CHANCE that Philip can make something positive come out of it. He starts drifting to his right to escape the rush, and you know he's either going to throw the ball away or try a 5 yard sideline pass to whoever is over there.

All of the elite QB's (Romo, Brady, Favre, Big Ben, even Peyton) have that ability to "make something out of nothing", and they do it with regularity. This is a must to have in the postseason, IMO.

The frustrating thing is, we've seen Philip have some incredible games last season, so we know he has the potential. I don't know what the answer is.
  10. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Rivers might lack the athleticism of some other QBs, but he's made something out of nothing plenty of times. I think that's an unfair criticism.

Philip is certainly not the biggest concern on this team. I would say it's Marlon McCree and Clinton Hart.
  11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Every player has what I call their signature moment or statement. Rivers statement came when he drifted left and not right against the Bengals last year and got blasted (and he knew it was coming) and shot putted the ball to Manu for a TD.

This year he ran for that hideous looking TD where Rivers looked as though he was being timed with a sun-dial but he made something out of nothing. I have seen him do it and know he is capable.
  12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I would say it is Jamal Williams. When that fat boy is not right, our defense sucksass.
  13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    No. It is true and no secret.

The 3-4 defense needs a NT who takes up two offensive linemen otherwise, it will not work. I am warming up to McKinney.
  14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    me too... he's actually playing pretty well... I'd be surprised if we drafted a NT this year...
  15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Not me.

Line them up three deep and let them compete. We are only two deep at NT (anyone suggesting Bingham should be shot).
  16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    It works much easier when you realize I am always right. :lol:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Exactly. Anybody who thinks that Jamal is playing more than one or two more years is not being realistic. We need two NT for the future(Mckinney and someone who isn't currently on the roster) so that we'll have a healthy rotation at the position. They can play behind Jamal till he retires, so that they can learn the ropes. I like Mckinney, but when Jamal was out we started Bingham for some reason. I think that Mckinney has played very well when he's been given the opportunity.
  18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Bingo.

I will say it until I freaking die and that is the war is won or lost in the trenches. When Jamal goes out, we become predictable on defense and that sucks balls.

Line up these fat slobs and let the best man win.
  19. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Actually nose tackle is a position there are plenty of guys who make it to 13,14, or even 15 years. As it is not a speed-dependent position it is a position you can play at a high level even in his Depends years.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Jamal play in the new stadium.
  20. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Even with knee problems? Having to have surgery mid season is not a good sign IMO.
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    Yep, we need LARD and lots of it.:bolt:
  22. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Rivers signs of success, things to look at today during the game.

Ball placement during drops. Is it tucked up by his ear, or is it dragging mid torso?

Does he wind up on every throw, or is he prepared to snap throw from his ear?

How many times does he "bleed" away from the rush when he should have stepped into the pocket?

Is he stepping into his throws, or is he seeing, planting, opening his hips and throwing off his back foot?

TBF
  23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    More importantly, can he make something out of nothing?

:icon_smile:
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Even more importantly, will he have to? :icon_shrug:

I'm hoping that the pocket holds up well & PR has a good day. No Pacman, no Chris Hope. TN's secondary is suspect. Let's burn 'em up today.

PR throws for 3 TD's - Gates, Chambers, & Davis. :tup:
  25. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I'll take that all day everyday...

TBF
  26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't reconstructive surgery. All they did was scope the joints to flush out some loose crap that was irritating the tissue. Structurally his knees are still sound-unless they're sandbagging us and keep more serious matters secret.
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Rivers is fine! That is all!