1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You know your from San Diego when...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LV Bolt Fan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Don't Know If Anybody Else Said It Yet...

But Remember "Say-Ow" Gear????

:icon_eek:

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I first saw a hat that said that, seems like mebbe late 90's.

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    You saw the Chicken make it Grand Hatching in June 1979.

The Chicken still does his schtick once a year at Petco. We always attend the Chicken Game. I know of one other game where he just showed up to lead cheers.

[​IMG]

Last year all of Trevor's kids were some of his chickadees.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    :lol:

That looks like a backwards Philadelphia Flyers logo on the Chicken's shirt.

5. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    SLUGGO!

When he made his Grand Hatching, that is when he debuted his new outfit with the new logo.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Back when I was a senior at Monte Vista, KGB ran a School spirit contest. Rolls and rolls of paper with names, addresses and phone numbers were collected in great trash cans and hauled down to the radio station, which IIRC was across from Ryan or mebbe MCRD on the PCH.

Monte Vista came in second in the competition; CRS who won.

'Course we all know The Chicken is Ted Giannoulous, who started out as a DJ for KGB.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Also, back in the mid 70's, the Pads had a Class A Team in the Carolina League at Winston-Salem. They were playing the Durham Bulls one Saturday, and the Chicken made an appearance at the stadium made famous by the movie "Bull Durham". My son was jes 5 years old then, and was absolutely enthralled with the Chicken, who was flown in by a radio station helicopter and landed at the pitching mound.

8. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    you've been a Padre fan long enough to see the coming of the second generation:

One of Trevor's sons:

[​IMG]

A junior Winfield:

[​IMG]

These were taken on April 5, 2008, during BP.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Great pics!! :tup:

Hope they don't end up putting a dagger in the heart of Pads fans everywhere like Tony Gwynn, JR :icon_eek: :icon_sad: :tdown:

10. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Occasionally, they let the kids practice with the players.
    I hope they dont put a dagger in Padres fans hearts, either. I hear some fans still lament about that.:unsure:

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    He turned onna inside pitch down around his ankle, but got the head of the bat on it. Incredible :icon_eek: :no: :icon_sad:

12. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Holy ****!! I remember when the Chicken came to Ramona High School back in the mid-'70s. He was the KGB Chicken then......at that time, his appearance at RHS was about the coolest thing that had ever happened there.

The other big star who came to my school was "Shotgun" Tom Kelly, who did his morning show from the gymnasium early in my senior year. Now THAT was big doin's for a passel of small-town teens!

Wow........nothing like old memories to make the years disappear for a little while........:yes:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I seemta remeber a radio station's call letters, KCBQ, I think that was a popular radio station when I was a kid.

14. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Yep, that's the station Shotgun Tom Kelly was with back in the day.

I also remember The Mighty KuffMubb (KFMB), although I didn't listen to it as often as I did KGB and KCBQ.

Just for the hell of it: are you a '50s or a '60s kid, Toby?? Seems you and I share a lotta memories......of course, I don't remember any of the '50s, seeing as how I came in at the tail end of that decade.:lol:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I was born in '48, lived in what we called Logan Heights back then, on Julian Ave, right across the street from Luther Burbank Elementary School.

My earliest memories include the smell of the Wonder Bread Bakery down on 28th St, and the sound of the Mexican ladies making fresh tortillas every morning.

We moved to the College Grove area when I was six, and I recall my dad bought a new Pontiac station wagon. I guess the mid 50s. Spent the 50's here.

Moved to Casa De Oro when I was 11, into a new housing area called Helix Vista, and spent the 60's here til I ran away from home September '67 to join the Army.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    Casa De Oro was another place we used to ride our bikes to.

I would have gone to MV if we had not moved to Albuquerque when I was in Jr HS.

KGB chicken and Shotgun Tom Kelly. Man those are some old memories.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember that. I do remember the Mighty 690 when it was a pop music station. :icon_shrug:

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    damn fine stroll down memory lane

My early years (56 to 66) were in La Mesa. Lake Murry, Maryland Ave and Parkway (the end of Fletcher Parkway)

Sunset Park, Laker Murry, Fletcher Bowl, Loran & Rays Store.

Damn good times

:tup:

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I remember 13k am, 91x when it was "alternative", KPRI with Bree Walker, the Hergon Breakfast Club and Berger & Prescott.

I used to ride my skateboard in the old pool in front of KCBQ.

Talk about dating, yourself!

20. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    I started my life at Mercy Hospital. Called Egan St., San Diego my home until I was about 2 yrs. old. My Granddad and Nana (they raised myself, my sis and my lil brother) had to make a choice between a really nice lot on Crowne Point or a lot in Lakeside. As luck would have it.....they chose Lakeside. :lol: Turned out to be NOT the best investment money wise in the long run. I just remember life being so SIMPLE growing up. No one batted an eye when my cat Buffy followed us to school everyday....walking into the classroom like he belonged there. The secretary would just call my Nana to come and pick up his happy ***.....only to have it happen again the next day. We lived on Marjay Drive, right off of Lakeview. There was this really neat creek that ran across the street from us and under a little bridge. As kids, we built the neatest fort down by that creek. The ground was super sandy and the water was kind of fast in some areas but would pool in other areas. We built something akin to Gilligan's Island in that long ago oasis. We used bamboo and anything else we could find....used to spend hours there. We found this pool of really clear water where there were tons of Crawfish. We would use a fishing line to try and catch them. As God is my witness.....there was the biggest damned Craw in that pond and it only had one claw. When we would catch him we would let him go. There was also a "tunnel" under Marjay Drive. Creepy as hell now that I think of it. But back in the day we loved to explore in that damn tunnel. I remember taking my kids when they were not more than toddlers to Marjay Drive. My first admonishment (sp)was this....DO NOT GO IN THAT FRIGGIN CANYON....There are rattle snacks, lizards and God knows what else. My now 25 year old got real bit by some kind of giant lizard!:yes::lol::yes:

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff here, folks, keep'em comim!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast: :flag:

22. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    ...you drive a dune buggy

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    ..........the clumsy mispronunciations of Spanish place names by non-natives sound like fingernails on a chalkboard

.........you have to check the store window displays to know what season it is

.........you wear white all year 'round

.........you have ever been stopped by the Border Patrol for DWH (Driving While Hispanic) because you have dark hair, a tan, and a low-riding older vehicle

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    So you were gonna goadda SV JrHi?? :)

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    This is yours truly, age mebbe 3...we lived on Julian Ave across the street from Luther Burbank Elementary School in Logan Heights-

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  26. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477 / 0 / -0
    OMG! I swear, that picture looks almost exactly like one my oldest brother had taken of him on a horse, about that same age....same brownish look to the whole tint/tone. My brother's had to have been taken in about 1942 or so...

27. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Yeehaw, rope em cowboy.

You was a cute lil cowpoke.:yes:

P.S. I would not go into Logan Heights now. It has gone to seed.

28. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    You know you are still in San Diego, when...

you are going to a live concert tonight at the BellyUp.:nana_rock::icon_guitar::clap:

29. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Awwwwwwwwww..............what an adorable little vaquero you were, Toby! So what the hell HAPPENED?????:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

j/k

Actually, you look a bit like my youngest grandson in that photo, and he's just about the cutest baby ever born. :yes:

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Who's playing at the BUT tonight?

• Like Like x 1