1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You'll Love This Pick!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Dec 7, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Ray Mauauluga at 11!!!!

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: REY MAUALUGA, ILB, USC
    Rey Maualuga | USC Trojans

Scouting Report

Nobody has done a better job of working the draft process in recent years than the San Diego Chargers. In fact, 21 of their 23 starters are home-grown! There aren’t many holes in the Chargers starting lineup but they have had some issues at middle linebacker and Rey Maualuga would be a perfect fit for their 3-4 defense. Rey Maualuga | Southern Cal Trojans A big inside ‘backer with a physical presence and a nasty demeanor, Maualuga can be a bit inconsistent and will miss some tackles but he still has a lot of upside and when everything is clicking the guy can be flat-out dominant. Penn St. is known as “Linebacker U” but USC could give them a run for that title, with Maualuga joining past Trojan greats such as Junior Seau, Chris Claiborne, Lofa Tatupu and Keith Rivers. The Chargers also have some question marks on the right side of their offensive line with Mike Goff and Jeromey Clary so that could be a possibility here as well and don’t rule out a defensive lineman either since Igor Olshansky is due to become a free agent and there is not much depth at either end or nose tackle. At the end of the day Maualuga sure seems like a good fit here and he would be an upgrade over what they currently have at the position. Whatever they do it will most likely be the right move.
  2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I dont like the pick. I think that guy is very overrated and i dont want him at #11.
  3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Put me in for a big thumbs up. Maualuga is a beast. :tup:
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,017 / 33 / -20
    We'll need a very high pick to get this guy.
  5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    I don't think we are going to be drafting in the top 10 if that's what it would take.

My money would be on building our Lines.

That would be picks I could love!!

:tup:
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    At least we don't have to wait so long for our draft pick this time. :icon_tease:
  8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    every mock i've seen has us taking him...
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,527 / 7 / -2
    I'll bust a nut if we got Maualuga.
  10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I do not love that pick. Give me Jasper Brinkley in the 3rd and use the first rounder on one or more linemen.
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,527 / 7 / -2
    Picking up Taylor Mays would also kick much ***.
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,349 / 19 / -3
    Only thing I worry about is how little luck AJ has had in the past with safeties

Not to mention with all honesty, safety is so low on the list of priorities compared to ILB, OL, NT
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,527 / 7 / -2
    EVERYTHING better be low behind OL and ILB
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    :icon_toast::yes:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    Why can't Jyles and Waters move inside, just a thought.:icon_shrug: :bolt:
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,349 / 19 / -3
    I'm still not sure about Waters being able to handle it ILB. I know alot of people like Waters, I like him too, but I don't wanna just hand him the job. Malauga would be a great ILB to team up with whomever
    Tucker is an OLB and needs to backup Merriman and Phillips
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    I see your point but how in hell do the Stillers seem to always find the right guy's to plug into their defense?:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Rather have Jasper Brinkley. You don't draft interior linebackers that high unless they are generational players and freak athletes like Patrick Willis was. Brinkley brings the same things to the field that Maualuga does with better natural instincts for the position. Maualuga is a complementary piece to a defense.

#1 priority is 3-4 defensive end. Until we get a standout defensive end this team is going nowhere. Our current defensive ends except for Jacques Cesaire, do not make their presence felt on the field. It is as though we are only fielding 9 defenders when Igor and Luis are out there. No joke. We need guys who will get dirty. Problem is that there are no elite 3-4 ends in this draft.

In this scenario I would just try to trade down, get a 1st and 2nd, draft Duke Robinson and B.J. Raji then try to get Jasper Brinkley somehow. Or I keep the first and take James Laurinaitis.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,349 / 19 / -3
    He's 275? That's bigger then some DEs. That's borderline ridiculous for an ILB - how's he supposed to move sideline to sideline? I agree about Raji (though I still prefer Taylor from Michigan) as a damn good NT, but I don't know about using him in hte first. Why do you like Lauirinitis so much? I like him too but like Malauga more.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Watch Jasper Brinkley play. His play speaks for itself. He will lower his head and blow the **** out of blockers and take on RBs helmet to helmet. He is outstanding at knifing through traffic. In terms of 2 down interior linebacking ability he is flat out dominant. Nfl caliber pass coverage ability is not there right now. He reminds me greatly of Jeremiah Trotter.

I am not sold on Raji's health but if he clears out fine. If not I like Ron Brace in the later rounds.

Laurinaitis is so much more advanced than Maualuga as a linebacker there is no comparison. Laurinaitis is loaded with intangibles and is a complete linebacker with outstanding pass coverage ability. He takes good angles to the ballcarrier unlike Maualuga which is why Maualuga will never rack up more than 90 solo tackles in a season. He also wraps up and doesn't just lunge. Laurinaitis has a clear track record of success. He is hands down the #1 interior linebacker in 2009.
  21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the pick. We need help on the lines, both offensive and defensive. In regards to linebacker, I think that it's a priority, but not until we get some help up front to protect the linebackers. Olshansky is worthless, and Castillo underperforms. It sickens me to think that Bingham could be a starting DE on our team next season. When your defensive ends get handled one on one your linebackers are going to be hung out to dry.
  22. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    :tup:

I will rip a new one if draft lauranitis (sp?), anyone remember when we drafetd an ohio stater? :tdown:
  23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,527 / 7 / -2
    JUST SAY NO to Ohio State linebackers.

Maualuga > Laurinaitis
  24. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Nah DE have the biggest bust rate in the draft (defense). Anyone remember Vernon Gholston? Oh sure he'll work out as a LB. NOT! The only DE I like is Orakpo and he would be an OLB in our system. No thank you. Plus we can get Suggs or Peppers in the market :abq2:
  25. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Look at where the Patriots drafted their defensive lineman, and you'll find that they were all picked up in the first two rounds. The 3-4 is built around the line, hence why Ray Lewis was *****ing a few years back when his line wasn't good enough to eat up blockers. I don't know why you're talking about pass rushing outside backers; I'm talking about 3-4 defensive ends. Guys who are playing with their hands in the dirt, and are supposed to eat up multiple blockers on running plays, and provide pressure up the middle on passing plays.
  26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    huh,

Matt Wilhelm

???

:lol:
  27. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Well see after the combine where Maualuga goes. Dude is overrated and a lot you guys dont even watch college football but love this pick. If he runs a 4.75....he wont even be a first rounder.

Remember Dan Conner? He went in the 3rd after all the hype of him going in the First. Brandon Siler was nearly Mr. Irrelevent after 2nd round hype.

Sorry, im not that impressed by Maualuga.

We need BEEF!!!!!

Not a ILB in the first but IF we went that direction, i agree with MTL...... Lauranaitus is a better player than Maualuga by far but we need to fix the OL badly and the DL with Igor probably leaving and Jamal getting older.
  28. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Not in your wettest dreams will that happen :lol:
  29. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Sadly...

Aj does not have the balls tosign a big name FA.

:tdown:
  30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Beef. Same as last year for me, anyway. Accept for Antoine Cason, there wasn't a lot of help from the draft this year. We'd have been better off keeping our choices and taking beef.