1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

#1 offense, #1 defense.. The season ain't over yet

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 3, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    The Chargers are #1 in yards per game (450.8) and #1 in yards allowed per game (235.5). Even though we haven't played any of the real "elite" teams in the NFL, it is still something to be proud of. If we keep playing like how we played against Arizona, the sky is the limit for this team. The only thing we really need to do is keep special teams hard at work and we should have a great rest of the season.
    Yes, even with these stats we are still 2-2 but then again so are the AFC Champion Colts. It is a long season and there are still many games to be won. Our path won't get easier though, it will only get harder.. but I think the way we've been playing will boost the whole organizations confidence, players, coaches, and fans included. That is why I am very excited about this season.
    We obviously have the pieces in place to make a playoff appearance. And quite frankly, it won't be that hard to get to 4-2 over the next two weeks, which will give us enough momentum to have a good chance of beating all of the tougher opponents on our schedule.
    Folks, this is going to be a fun and exciting season. Strap in and enjoy the ride
    Go Chargers! :thumbup:

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    That's what I've been saying for the last couple weeks. Watching this team, it's pretty clear to me that it is better than last year's team. Yes, they've found ways to lose a couple of games on the road. But once they get all three phases going the they are capable of, this team is going to be scary.

I think every part of the defense (line, LBs and secondary) is improved from last year. And the running game is light year's ahead of last season. As long as we don't beat ourselves, this could be our year.

3. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    That's what I've been saying for the last couple weeks. Watching this team, it's pretty clear to me that it is better than last year's team. Yes, they've found ways to lose a couple of games on the road. But once they get all three phases going the they are capable of, this team is going to be scary.

I think every part of the defense (line, LBs and secondary) is improved from last year. And the running game is light year's ahead of last season. As long as we don't beat ourselves, this could be our year.

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Once we get healthy we are going to be an a football juggernaut. Two excellent pound your face running backs in tolbert and matthews, Sproles as a change of pace, Gates, Naneee, Floyd, and RIVERS!!!!! IF only vj wasn't a douche we might have put up 50 or 60 points today.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I think we will keep it up pretty well statwise. Prob wont be #1 all season but deffinatly top 10 at this rate.

6. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    IDK with RM healthy I think we can be #1 on offense easily. #1 defense? That might be a little more tough.

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Even with VJ Norm would have reigned them in like he did and kept it around 40 pts. No reason to completely embarrass them with a rookie QB in there.

Fact is against better teams we will miss VJ down near the goal line. I worry a bit about Floyd being able to stay healthy for a full season. He gets himself in awkward positions sometimes. VJ is a putz but damn I wish he were playing right now.

I would like to say we would fare better against a rush like the Giants put on last night but that is exactly the kind of team that will give us trouble in crunch time unless we begin to run the ball consistently. Lets see us run the ball against a Steeler, Raven, Jets, or Giant front seven and then I will be convinced we have a juggernaut.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    I hate OPF statistics (especially early on) so take this with a grain of salt but Rivers is currently on pace for 5,312 passing yards this season.

9. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    No Norv is not into running up the score, he would dial it down before it ever got any more lopsided then it already was.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pretty nice racking up big stats during this 10 game pre-season. We'll see what happens when the regular season starts vs. New England.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    So they're 0-0 in the standings right now?

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Might as well be.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Sweet. That means they're still in control of their destiny.

If the Chiefs win out, with the exception of their next game against the Chargers and the Chargers win out once their season starts against New England the Chargers take the division with their perfect 9-0 record which trumps KC's 15-1 record by winning percentage. :abq2:

14. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    We already knew the schedule was weak before the season started right? We went 13-3 last season with a harder schedule.

Should we be surprised at this? Telling.

15. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    If the Chargers can maintain any semblance of a running game and keep this defense on track they will be one of the tougher teams to beat in the AFC, for sure.

Week 14 could be really interesting.

16. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    We know no one will be suprised at this response! Telling.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    if you can't be happy that we are ranked this high even if we have faced so-so competition then your clearly bitching for the sake of bitching. You can only take on those who your scheduled to play against.

18. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41
    The thing I worry about is no matter how good a team we put on the field they always seem to play down to the level of they're opponent. Jes sayin.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Well as of sunday morning PR PM and Kyle Orton were on pace to top Marinos season record. Not sure how that is goin for them now prob better for both over PR since he had the chance to get out of the game early.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    They surely played down to the level of Arizona, didn't they?

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    The Chargers have the #1 offense and defense in the league. This is the latest in the season that a team has accomplished this since the 1987 49ers. Considering it almost never happens, of course we should be surprised by it. Last year at this time, we were dominated in week 4 by the Steelers to fall to 2-2. This year's team is playing better.