1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

10 most overrated players... Rivers #6

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 9, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,398
    NFL's most overrated players:
    Dirty Suh, playoff-challenged Romo on top
    National NFL Insider

There is no more polarizing word in sports than the word overrated. Well, except for maybe Tebow, but you get my point. There are overrated politicians, astronauts, and superheroes, but there are rarely heated arguments about who is more overrated: Hulk or Batman?

(It's Batman. He has no superpowers. He drives a car. How super can he be? Oh, sorry ...)

But in sports, we have these overrated arguments all the time. In the NFL, this argument happens hourly.

We wanted to have a sensible debate about the overrated NFL players, and we think this is it. Go ahead and pummel this list or like it. Just don't call it overrated.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit Lions: As a rookie, Suh was brilliant. He was Defensive Rookie of the Year, and it seemed he would be an unstoppable force for years. Now, he's become a stomp-able force. Suh is more known for his dirty play than effective football. The media lap dogs who once supported Suh have long since abandoned him because the dirty play has become impossible to defend. It goes beyond the infamous stomp he inflicted against Green Bay's Evan Dietrich-Smith on Thanksgiving Day. It goes beyond the dirty stuff the following Thanksgiving for which he earned a $30,000 fine. Suh has been fined by the NFL for three nasty violations in only his first two years in pro football. He has nine personal fouls.

What has happened to Suh is that teams have adjusted to his style of play. Suh has one move -- forward like a bull. Smart linemen can deal with that, no matter how strong Suh is. The belief among offensive coaches and players is that Suh has resorted to the dirty stuff to compensate for the fact that teams now know how to play him.

2. Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys: Romo is a totally nice dude. If you met him, you would love him. As a player, he at times has astounding accuracy. That accuracy, mostly coming in moments when the pressure is thin and the air is relaxed, can be as good as anyone in the sport. Romo has also, to be charitable, been failed miserably by the team's general manager, aka, the owner. He has a decent offensive line and great tight end, but his running back is slightly overrated (almost making this list), one of his receivers is a head case and the other gets injured a lot. And unlike the elite quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, he hasn't had a defense to lean on.

Romo, however, has also massively choked. Numerously, in the worst moments. He has also been passed over by other great throwers. In the division, he has been passed by Eli Manning. In the conference, he's been passed by Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, and possibly Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilsonand RG3. In the Super Bowl, Kaepernick showed the kind of big-game guts Romo hasn't displayed.

3. Reggie Bush, RB, Detroit: Bush did win a Super Bowl with the Saints and did have his moments, but he has yet to live up to being the second overall pick in the 2006 draft. The Saints realized this, and now Bush is on his third team in four seasons.

4. Jay Cutler, QB, Chicago Bears: Cutler is 30 years old and was the 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft. In Denver and Chicago, he has had solid weapons around him and good backs. Yet despite a strong arm he has won a solitary playoff game. One. Cutler is Jeff George.

Chicago's offense has never been ranked higher than 23rd. Blame the previous coaching staff all you want but Cutler's passer rating was pedantic even after adding the explosive Brandon Marshall.

Again, Cutler has a huge arm and some mobility. That's good. But so did George.

5. Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys: If you could take the dedication of Jerry Rice and the brain of Paul Warfield and incorporate them both into the body of Bryant, the Dallas wide receiver would be better than both of them. Physically, he's that gifted. The NFL hasn't seen a wide receiver this physically imposing since Randy Moss.

Bryant, however, has the proverbial 10-cent noggin. His attention span on the field is erratic at best and off the field he can be a bit of a jerk. Last year, he was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence against his biological mom (she never pressed charges) and he was sued in 2011 for $861,000 after he allegedly didn't pay for jewelry.

There are games, like the one against New Orleans, where he had 224 yards on nine catches. He also added two touchdowns. It's in those moments where Bryant looks like one of the top three players at the position. Then he drops a pass or runs a wrong route. Then he runs another wrong route and you shake your head.

6. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego: There comes a point where the head coach can no longer be blamed. Or the GM can no longer be blamed. Can't blame the tight end's injuries or the Hall of Fame back cut loose prematurely. Rivers is a terrific leader but in the 2011 and 2012 seasons he combined for 55 turnovers. His game, once gorgeous, has turned almost nightmarish.

7. Michael Vick, QB, Philadelphia: Vick recently beat running back LeSean McCoy in a footrace. It was dazzling. It was a great story. It also meant absolutely nothing. This fact does: the last time Vick made the playoffs was 2010. The last time Vick won a playoff game was 2004. He has played only one full season and that was 2006. Vick was once a game-changer, but that seems like a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Vick can still win races but can't outrun his lack of postseason winning and injury history.

8. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, San Francisco: In 2011, the Eagles signed Asomugha to a $60-million deal with about $25 million guaranteed. It turned out to be one of the worst free-agent signings of all time; he was burned like pot roast.

9. Tim Tebow, fullback, free agent: Forbes magazine called Tebow the most influential athlete in sports. When Forbes released its list, it initially seemed like a report from the Onion. It still does. It's likely a free-agent fullback made Forbes list.

10. Andre Johnson, WR, Houston: In some ways, like Romo, Johnson has been poorly served by his team. Some great statistics from ESPN's Paul Kuharsky shows this. The Texans were one of only four teams -- the Bears, Chiefs and Lions -- that targeted one wideout more than all of the rest combined. Johnson was targeted 58.1 percent of the time, the highest percentage in the NFL. The Texans have needed a second receiver for a long time and haven't found one.

Yet Johnson, once devastating, is no longer scary. Johnson has never had double-digit touchdowns in a single season, and he's one of the more injury-prone stars at the position. He missed three games in 2010, nine in 2011, and last year fought a groin injury all season. He's 31 and the injuries are clearly catching up to him.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    How can he be overrated when the average person says he sucks now due to his performance the last two years?

I can make an argument for Tony Romo not belonging on this list either since just about anybody save some of the more homerific Cowboys fans talk about him like he's the biggest choke job to ever play the position.

I swear, most people don't grasp the concept of "overrated".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well, of course, he never defines his terms.
    It's like those idiot Bleacher Report turds titled "Worst NFL Drafts" or whatnot,
    with few or any details about whether the number of draft picks a team had,
    or where they were picking are part of the equation. In short, the less revealed about
    the criteria, the less people can ridicule one's arbitrary "ratings." I'm guessing
    Freeman's issue is mostly that players who were potential top stars, but so far
    are only stars, deserve his scorn. But it's just as likely that Romo simply got the
    girl that Freeman secretly wanted at Eastern Illinois U.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    The homers around here hate Romo too. I think this season will tell the tale of these 2 QB's.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Yeah, I don't know any Cowboys fans who like Romo

7. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    He's basically the second coming of Danny White, who is also reviled by many Cowboy fans for many of the same reasons. To wit:

1) Both took over for a Hall of Famer and Cowboy legend -- White succeeded Staubach, Romo succeeded Aikman (after a couple of failed experiments with the likes of Qunicy Carter and Drew Henson among others)

2) Both were often quite successful during the regular season, and played in Pro Bowls (White went once in 1982, Romo has been 3 times)

3) Both had or have an annoying propensity to make big mistakes at key times...can't win the big one.

One difference -- White at least went to the NFC Championship three times (1980-82, lost all 3) and has a ring from Super Bowl XII as a punter and Staubach's backup; Romo hasn't even been close. Probably more a factor of the Cowboys being loaded in the late 70's and early 80's.

Danny White, if you look at his stats, was a halfway decent player during his day, yet is widely regarded as a failure by Cowboy fans since he did not lead a Super Bowl winner (he was on the Cowboy team that won Super Bowl XII as the punter and backup to Staubach).

Romo puts up nice numbers but is headed the same direction unless he can somehow win one -- and right now it doesn't look good for him as the NFC is loaded for the foreseeable future.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Just curious what others think, but most Cowboys fans that I know who don't like Romo, feel he is very similar to Rivers. Although I like Rivers and think he has been held back by the team surrounding him, something Romo can't say, but I think many of the arguments against Romo could also be said about Rivers.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't feel like Rivers ever lost us a game with his bad play. With Romo, I've always felt like he sometimes turns on retard mode and loses games that his team should have in the bag. With Rivers, it seems more like his bad play comes when he's trying to carry the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I would agree with that, and make similar arguments. Was just curious what others thought

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    Lmao, the fact that Andre Johnson is on this list makes it 100% laughable. Seriously. Yes, he is injury prone, and yes hasn't had a double digit TD season to date. However, the targeting percentage is a joke. They have no one else to through the ball to. And the fact that there is no other threat, teams have no problem taking him out of the picture. Funny thing is, when teams still try and take him out of the picture he is still one of the very best in the league.

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Honestly the only one who belongs on this list is Tebow, no one else on this list gets half the publicity that dude gets.
    Romo, only because the team he is on gets overrated, but Tebow with no team is getting talked about more than the guys who have been productive in their careers who have hit slight bumps. Tebow could sneeze and the media will find a way to turn it into a story. This list is a joke as well as the guy who spent the time to write it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Myself, Rivers is becoming a concern. I believe he can play better than he has the last couple years but he's running out of time to prove it.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +292
    "Hall of Fame back cut prematurely"

cut...

prematurely...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    Not sure he can really be called overrated when he has been criticized quite heavily for his declining play.

Also, they don't even consider the absolutely dreadful O-line, or practically non-existent, sub-par coaching, bad free agent acquisitions clogging up the cap, the amount of play makers he's lost, etc...

If I could sum up the whole situation with Philip, I'd say the following: They know he isn't a mobile QB, the opposition knows this too. When you can't protect a QB who isn't mobile, how do you expect his stats not to suffer? He's getting hit left, right and center, barely ever gets a throw without pressure on him, are you really surprised he has to force throws and fumbles more when opposing players are getting a free run at him?

Search any games last season where we got above average protection (e.g. Pittsburgh), and you will see Rivers looking much more like his old self.

17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +492
    I stopped reading at "Mike Freeman". He rates very low on my scale. Rates high though, on biggest jackass sports "writer".

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Most of the Cowboys fans I know hate him too, which is why I said "some of the more homerific ones".

I do know one Cowboys fan who still swears by him, though, arguing that he's held down by poor coaching and talent around him and all the usual arguments. Says he's better than Aikman even and Troy just benefited from Emmit and the OL.

I'll let everyone pause to clean up the mess on their computer screen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +222
    I actually think Romo is the most hated player in the NFL. Overrated is Reggie Bush, it's Bradford who hasn't lived up to their overall picks. Romo is just as good as the top QBs, I believe they'll eventually get things straighten out in Dallas and everyone who hates him will be glamouring that they were a fan all along.

Philip on the other hand IS overrated as far as being seen to be the best QB out of the '04 class well before proving his worth. While both Big Ben and Eli were seen as generals who after winning were in the class of the Elite. I like Rivers and think his good QB and has shown flashes of brilliance but if I hear about how he had "it" back in '10 and some how doesn't now I'm gonna lose it.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Umm, who calls him the best QB of the '04 class?

21. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Between 2008-2010 a strong claim could be made that he was better than Eli and Rottenburger. Now maybe not so much. Guy has had 5 great seasons, and recently 2 bad ones. Unfortunately people only remember the recent bad ones cause there fresh in everyones mind. The guy had 3 straight seasons with a passer rating over 100 and 4 straight 4k+ passing yrd seasons.

22. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I agree. I know some pretty devoted Cowboy fans. I can pretty much say they don't feel "warm" about Romo. With that said, I dont feel any of them would trade the owner of the team for any other.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    So, yeah, unless JohnnyX's argument is that Rivers was overrated early in his career his claim makes no sense since I don't know many people who would call Rivers the best QB of the '04 class today.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Looking at the haul we got for Eli that included getting Rivers, I would say he was considered the best QB in that class

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Rivers has to return to form. If he doesnt, then at this point he is over... Over rated though? Is anyone picking him to haul the Chargers to the Superbowl on his back the way they do Manning or Cutler?

26. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    If Rivers returns to form for the next 3-4 seasons he could still go down as the best QB from the 04' class. If he got 1 ring it be a deadlock IMO even though the other two would have more.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    It's more an argument made out of necessity to accommodate the writer's own opinions. They can't hype recent 1st-year success cases like Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3, and Luck (despite the immense amount of hype Luck got from some media outlets as "The Next Peyton Manning") if they don't knock some of the previous placeholders down a peg. It's the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately card being played, but simultaneously realizing that you can't build a guy up as a stud off of only a single year of production as history has shown that even the likes of Derek Anderson (and arguably stat-darling Matthew Stafford) can achieve great single-year production. Year-to-year is far more difficult to substantiate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Who creates these lists? I would put the author of this tidbit to be one of the top ten stupidest sportswriters in the world...

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
  30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +300
    What's really under rated is Mike Freeman's ability to churn out a couple 500-word fluff pieces a week and make the world believe he's a professional.

• Like Like x 2