1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

100 words from the New York Times

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/?8dpc

September 20, 2008, 6:19 pm
    100 Words: Jets (1-1) at Chargers (0-2)
    By John Woods

Tags: chargers, Jets

Each week, The Times asks the bloggers who cover opposing teams to break down the coming game for the Jets — in 100 words or less. (Give or take a few rants.) In this edition, we examine the Jets’ game against the Chargers on Monday night (8:30 p.m. Eastern on ESPN).
    Chargers fans, if our guests this week can be any guide, are undeterred by their team’s 0-2 start. And maybe that is because the Chargers seem to be less a struggling team and more a victim of a league-wide conspiracy. How else do you explain the mysterious rebirth of Jake Delhomme or the blind integrity of Ed Hochuli? Now they match up against one of the league’s original Golden Boys, Brett Favre. Who’s more used to a glare than a team from California?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Curtis Egan, a k a Concudan, writes for BoltTalk.com, a member of the Fan2Fan alliance. Mr. Egan is a true-blue Chargers fan.

I have been asked to provide a question about this week’s game between the Chargers and the Jets. In a nutshell it is: Can the reeling Chargers ground Brett’s Jets? Before the start of the season, the answer from myself or most fans would have been yes… After the Chargers played two games without any spark on defense, I am not so sure. I throw in on top of things that Favre is a Charger killer. The guy has never lost to the Chargers. But that was then, and this is now. Chargers have one of the top five offenses in the league and can score a lot of points. It should be an exciting game. Chargers 31-27.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ross Warner has been following the Chargers since his childhood in Chappaqua and chronicling their exploits on Justice Is Coming since 1995.

Even with all the injuries, the Bolts know they won’t have forever to capitalize on the team that General Manager A. J. Smith has assembled. Even with LaDainian Tomlinson fighting a new toe injury and Antonio Gates trying to deal with an old one, the offense hasn’t missed a beat. Philip Rivers has been brilliant. However, the main reason the Chargers have started the season at 0-2 is their defensive woes. Even with the poor officiating in Denver, the Bolts were unable to stop two consecutive passes that would have given them the win. The season opener against Carolina ended the same way. I think that this is the week the Bolts step up. Chargers, 30-14.

Brian Blakistone writes the Chargers blog Bolts from the Blue on the SportsBlogs Nation Web site.

The Chargers are without Shawne Merriman for the season, inside linebacker Stephen Cooper for two more games and there have been two last second collapses in the first two weeks, will the Jets offense be able to victimize this Charger defense? While the Chargers defense has brought new meaning to the word malleable, and is unquestionably reeling, the Jets’ offense is just the thing to turn around this unit. Based on his indifferent performance against the Patriots, Brett Favre appears not to have clicked with his receivers, and despite a savage mauling by Denver, the Bolts’ secondary oozes talent. If the Chargers get ahead, New York will have to throw; and the Jets don’t appear to have enough quality targets to overwhelm the secondary. Chargers, 35-17.

Rich Campbell is a life-long San Diegan who has covered the Chargers and Padres for Most Valuable Network at MVN.com since 2004. You can find him at Chargers Confidential.

With the Chargers 0-2, why do the Jets still need to view this game as a challenge? On defense, Jamal Williams continues to improve, linebacker Tim Dobbins is starting to make a name for himself and Antonio Cromartie is too big a talent to not expect a rebound from last week’s horrible game. Brett Favre is notorious for taking chances, and that’s a dangerous combination for New York. On offense, the Chargers get the Pro Bowler Marcus McNeil back to protect Philip Rivers, LaDainian Tomlinson is healing and Antonio Gates didn’t miss a practice for the first time this season. The Chargers’ backs are against the wall. Don’t forget, it wasn’t just Ed Hochuli. Replay equipment mysteriously not working cost them in the first quarter. The Bolts feel they defeated the Broncos by two touchdowns. That will only increase their motivation for Monday night. Chargers, 35-24.

Rob Zepeda runs BoltHype.com.

Without Lights Out sidelined, the Chargers haven’t been able to generate any significant pass rush. Unless the team turns it around quickly, they’ll lose the division to the resurgent Denver Broncos. Philip Rivers has played well, but they can’t expect to outscore everyone each week. Can the Chargers generate enough pressure on Farve to ground the Jets’ air attack? My guess is no… but luckily for the Bolts, Favre is still learning the system and simply doesn’t have the offensive weapons to match up with San Diego. San Diego 31, 24.
    John Woods is not a guest blogger. He is a staff editor for The New York Times, a regular contributor to The Fifth Down and the guy who put this post together. The closest he has ever been to San Diego (and, err, California) was when he went camping near Gunnison, Colo.

This is the time to say things like “Brett Favre has never lost to the Chargers,” and “Favre always saves his best for primetime.” It’s true: You can never rule Favre out. (If the Chargers don’t win, though, you can probably rule them out — in the Super Bowl era, only five teams have made the playoffs after an 0-3 start.) However, I say that belly buttons in San Diego can start unpuckering. The Chargers have rung up 62 points so far. Philip Rivers is 15-2 at home. And the New York media (hounds!) are already nipping at Jets Coach Eric Mangini’s heels for not passing enough. Is Favre to the end of his playbook yet? Not until he finishes July’s Field and Stream. Chargers, 31-21.

2. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    “Brett Favre has never lost to the Chargers”....

Last night everyone was saying, "the Cowboys have never won in Green Bay!"

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Zactly!

4. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    uh oh.... :icon_eek:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But the Jets ain't the Packers.

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yes , yes this is the truth. :tup:
    Maybe the Farve effect only worked in GB.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Very cool Conc. Great exposure for BT and other Charger fan blogs.

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    Chargers have to lead early - winning the first half is
    important. The defence will fix it they'll play their best game in 2008

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm throwing everything I've got at this game - Jamal's jersey, Stone IPA in my Chargers' mug, good cigar, Charger Build-a-Bear on the couch next to me, freshly shaved dome .....

I'm predicting a close first half, then the Chargers pull away.

41 - 24 Chargers :bolt:

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That will end TONIGHT on MNF!!!! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Way to go Concudan, you represented us all very well.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    HOWEVER THE JETS WERE GOOD ENUF TO KNOCK US OUT OS THE PLAYOFFS 4 YEARS AGO:tdown:

sorry capslok

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Call me Nostral-damus! :tup: