1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

11 coolest football helmets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheLash, Jun 7, 2008.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    those first Buc uniforms looked like ****, so why they out rank the lightning bolt's beyond me

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I love the comment made on the Old New England Helmet:

LINK

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Further proof we should have switched back to ^^^ those unis a long time ago. They are the best uniforms ever.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This has got to be a joke.

The Bengals, Colts and Steelers helmets are better that the Chargers old style helmet.

This is in my opinion a big travesty.

again even the helmet is receiving the hate from the media.

Embrace that hate. :icon_evil:

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    Yep. Since the owner's retarded grandson destroyed our unis, all I buy now is old school stuff. I really like the old font with the goalpost H and the shield.

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Nothing cooler than the lightning bolt helmets whether they be white, navy or royal blue. I do really embrace tradtion, so my hats off to the Packers. You see them on TV, even at a glance, regardless of the year...and you know instantly, it's them. Pretty is not always better...UNLESS they're lightning bolts :lol:

8. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942

I get your point, but the Packers have gone through changes over the years. They're current helmet was adopted in '61 and was modified in '67. In '94 or '95 Ron Wolf almost changed it to a kind of flat gold helmet with the "G" logo.

Here is a link to NFL helmet changes over time,
    http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/ click on AFC West to see our changes.
    Although that site is missing the first Oakland helmet when they were the Oakland Señors, the name was changed before the first season because of an embarrassing mariachis incident in front the Oakland city council. Ole’!

Here’s funny link to the Donkey’s hideous first uniforms, http://endzone.pscoggin.com/history.htm

There is another great site on prototype helmets but it’s down right now, http://www.misterhabs.com/nfl-proto.htm

Here is Baltimore's first helmet design,
    [​IMG]

This was the original Jaguars helmet but it was to close to the car company’s logo.
    [​IMG]

Do you remember when Eddie DeBartolo introduced the new 49ers helmet in 1991? [​IMG]
    This design went over like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. It’s now known as the “1 day helmet”.

There are a bunch of other designs that are interesting if someone want to take the time to find them. The ones that I found most interesting are Miami's large dolphin splitting the green and orange, the Bengals reverse of the current design, and Nashville/Memphis/Tennessee designs.

Anyway, I’m a collector of Charger helmets and have all seven versions. Up close the new helmet is the best looking.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The old Chargers helmets are the hands down the best in the history of the league. I am disappointed, but not surprised because of the snobbery, that our first helmets aren't featured in the American Museum of Design. This from one of those "elites" with a minor in Art History. That helmet is one of the finest pieces of design in recorded history. I **** you not. You're my favorite turds.

10. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942

You'll like this site.
    http://www.mikestanhope.com/Chargers

11. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I find this stuff interesting, this is from a link earlier on this thread.

ATLANTA FALCONS

[​IMG]

The final helmet is a design group portfolio item I first saw in 2002. I have heard that former Falcon running back Jamal Anderson helped with the design. It may have been considered by the team, but I have no idea.

BALTIMORE BOMBERS

[​IMG]

The Bombers were Baltimore's bid for a new NFL team in the early 1990s. After the Colts left, Baltimore petitioned the league for a new team. The Bombers lost out to eventual new franchises the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers. Soon after, Art Modell moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. A PR nightmare at the time, the NFL convinced Modell that the team would become a "new" franchise, the Ravens, and Cleveland was promised a return of the Browns a few years later.
    I'm honestly not sure if this is an actual helmet design or simply a fan creation. I do know that the logo was presented as part of the expansion team's bid.

CINCINNATI BENGALS

[​IMG]

This reversed image helmet, with orange stripes on a black background instead of black on orange, was first seen during an interview with head coach Marvin Lewis on the NFL Network this season. There has been speculation that the Bengals are headed for a change, but the team claims that this helmet is a unique creation made especially for Lewis and given to him by a personal friend.

CLEVELAND BROWNS

[​IMG]

The 'CB' logo was pushed by the league claiming they needed a more identifiable trademark. The Browns may even have worn this helmet for some preseason games in 1964 or 1965, but the team never adopted the logo.

DETROIT LIONS

[​IMG]

This helmet has been circulating around the net for a few years. More than one source has said this design was never considered by the team, and that it's only a portfolio piece for a grpahic designer. Still, I like it and find it far superior to the changed the Lions made recently, so here it is.

GREEN BAY PACKERS

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Back when Ron Wolf first took over as GM in the 1990s, he put together a proposal to change the uniforms, changing the current shade of Packer "gold" to something closer to the old gold the team used in the 1950s. The idea was meet with anger from the fans and was dropped. I don't know if a helmet was actually created to promote the change, but if it was it might look like the one above. The proposed helmet may have had no stripes. I'll add a version without stripes soon.
    There has also been discussion from time to time that the Packers may abandon the green and revert to a shade of blue used in the 1950s as well. Hence the second two helmets above. Both are my interpretations of what the color changes might look like. I have never seen actual helmets like those above. And, based upon the reactions of the local fans, I may never see them, as the Packers may never change.

MEMPHIS HOUND DOGS

[​IMG]

Before the NFL expanded into Jacksonville and Carolina, Memphis was a finalist for a new franchise. Their proposal was the Hound Dogs.

12. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    TENNESSEE COPPERHEADS

[​IMG]

When the Houston Oilers first moved to Tennessee, a group of fans started a movement to change the team's name to reflect their new home. They even designed a helmet like the one above to represent the new identity, while keeping a link to the past with the oil derrick logo. The actual logo may have been more faint, almost barely visible.

MIAMI DOLPHINS

[​IMG]

This unique helmet was first proposed around 1990. The obviously radical change was never adopted.

ST. LOUIS STALLIONS

[​IMG]

The Stallions were St. Louis's bid for a return to football in the early 90s. After the Cardinals left for Arizona, a local group petitioned the league for a new franchise. The Stallions lost out to eventual new teams the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers. Soon thereafter, the Los Angeles Rams were wooed to move to St. Louis, leaving the country's largest TV market without a team.
    I'm honestly not sure if this is an actual helmet design or simply a fan creation. I do know that the logo was presented as part of the expansion team's bid.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The Lions should deffinetly go with that design!!! :yes:
    Same with Falcons and Bengals.

I always thought the Browns should put a logo on their helmets but not the CB!!! It looks like a college team but also horrible.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but that logo always was popular. If they didn't suck so bad at that time, it would have been a huge seller.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This I agree with but I think the Steelers helmets are pretty awesome. Though I still like ours better.

17. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The old Bucs' helmet is ranked 2nd Best Helmet EVER?!? :lol:

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
  19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    THANK YOU, LASH I LIKE SUCH STORIES ABOUT HISTORIC ASPECTS OF NFL FOOTBALL. I NEVER KNEW WHY THE STEELER'S
    HELMET HAS A ONESIDED SIGN, BUT I NEVER WOULD CHOOSE IT
    AS NO. 1. FINE, THE CHARGERS GOT IT UNDER TOP TEN. I
    REMEMBER THE 7oIES TAMPA LOGO. I LIKED IT IN THOSE DAYS,
    BUT HATED THE REDPINK COLOR. IT'S GOOD THEY CHANGED IT
    AND WON THE PIRATES SUPERBOWL AT SAN DIEGO.

20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

it's always good when people beat the raiders Brother Cranberry!:abq2:

21. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    The writer of that article, MJD, must have spent his childhood inhaling plastic model cement or car exhaust. Look at some of those selected like the Bus old helmet and that tragic selection at #6.

Talk about wide ride in good taste.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Thanks for the cool links. I remember vividly when DeBartolo wanted the Niners to have a helmet that reflected the nickname more than the city itself and the fans went nuts. I agree with the fans on this one.

23. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I actually like your helmets (but I'll never repeat that in public).

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,251
    I like that dolphins helmet....

25. BleedBLUE&GOLD

BleedBLUE&GOLD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I personally like our present helmets - it's a little nostalgic mixed in with our new era.

26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Nah! Goodell's into dignity. They should probably go with a New York Public library lion's head in silhouette. That would make the commish happy. No straight arms, patty cake with the QB's and London Pub beer prices. There will soon be a rule requiring players to raise a pinky when they guzzle their Gatorade through plastic flutes.