1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

12/20 Draft King mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by LT-Express, Dec 20, 2007.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +346
    1. Miami Dolphins - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    From a need standpoint, Glenn Dorsey would fill a huge hole at defensive tackle on a team that has had a horrible time stopping the run in 2007.

2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Long is the best offensive tackle prospect in the draft. He opened holes all year for Mike Hart (and his backups), and he should allow the Rams to go into 2008 with some much-needed depth at the offensive line.

3. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas *
    While Virginia DE Chris Long would be a fantastic addition to the Jets defense, McFadden is a rare talent who has incredible potential as a pro.

4. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    There are strong indications from Atlanta that the Falcons will take a QB in the first round (or perhaps second) and then have him sit for a year and prep for 2009.

5. New England Patriots (from 49ers) - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State *
    Laurinaitis is a superior MLB who would fill a huge need for New England. This is a slightly high spot to take him, but at #5 there's likely no trading down for the Pats, due to rookie salary cap ramifications and the associated glass wall separating the top five picks from the rest of the draft.

6. Baltimore Ravens - Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
    There are rumors swirling that the Ravens may lose franchise left OT Jonathan Ogden to retirement. If that happens, it's possible that the Ravens may look to the draft to add a high-end tackle, though they landed Maryland OT Jared Gaither in the 2007 Supplemental Draft, and if he has developed as they hoped he would, it's possible that Gaither may be starting at left offensive tackle in 2008.

7. Kansas City Chiefs - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    While the Chiefs have offensive tackle issues, among needs at many other spots, Long would help a defense that is 26th against the run this year.

8. Oakland Raiders - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
    Ellis is strong (with a reported bench press max of 510 pounds), and while at 6'1" he's shorter than normal for the position, he would immediately help the Raiders stop the run. The Raiders have been underrated as far as credit against the pass goes, and adding Ellis could give the Raiders some much-needed balance against the rush.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
    Balmer is a shooting star, making a late run up draft boards thanks to an outstanding season. The Bengals have a desperate need to stop the run, and Balmer would provide a stabilizing force for the team in the middle.

10. Chicago Bears - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    The Bears are struggling, in large part because of injuries on defense, but also because of problems at the quarterback position. Brian Brohm would have possibly been a top ten pick had he entered the 2007 NFL Draft.

11. Arizona Cardinals - Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
    While Connor played MLB in 2007, he was just as successful from the OLB spot in years past at Penn State, and he might actually be a better fit on the Cards than James Laurinaitis would be.

12. Denver Broncos - Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami *
    In a draft that is light at the safety position, Phillips stands out as a top-tier prospect. The Broncos have needs at defensive tackle, but if Sedrick Ellis and Kentwan Balmer are gone, the chance to snag Phillips may be the next best option for the Broncos.

13. Carolina Panthers - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State *
    Mike Rucker will turn 33 in February, and he'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season. And while Carolina's offense, particularly its passing game, has been in shambles this year, the chance to add a talented defensive lineman like Gholston would be most helpful for the Panthers.

14. Detroit Lions - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State *
    Jenkins has started at CB at Ohio State since he was a true freshman in 2005; he has good height and elite speed. He would be a most beneficial addition for a Lions team that has fallen apart in the second half of the 2007 season.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami *
    Campbell is a huge human being, and he is quick and skilled at sacking the quarterback which would be a great fit for Philly.

16. New Orleans Saints - Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
    The result in the David deal for the Saints is that New Orleans is 30th against the pass this year, giving up almost 250 passing yards per game. David had looked terrible in man coverage, almost to an embarrassing level. It's been bad enough to make many Saints fans forget about Fred Thomas getting burned bad in 2006. To point, David has missed three full games this year: all Saints wins.

17. Buffalo Bills - Keith Rivers, LB, USC
    Adding Rivers to last year's draft steal Paul Posluszny and underrated Angelo Crowell would create a great trio at LB. Yes, that would also create the dilemma of who would play MLB, but Poz has experience with that from his senior year at Penn State.

18. Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon *
    There are a wide variety of running backs for the Texans to choose from, including Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall, but Stewart is a truly unusual mix of speed and bulk who would fit quite nicely into the Texans offense.

19. Washington Redskins - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida *
    Harvey became the focal point for opposing offenses in 2007 after losing many of his outstanding defensive line teammates from the 2006 BCS Title team to the NFL (and his three sack performance against Ohio State to end last season), yet he still managed to lead the Gators in sacks this year.

20. Minnesota Vikings - Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
    The Vikings are solid against the run, but they've given up more passing yards per game than any team so far this year. Some of that is related to the huge leads that the Vikings have had in some games this year, but ultimately a solid defender like Jenkins could fit in quite well with the Vikings.

21. Tennessee Titans - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    I've been saying for two years now that the Titans desperately need to bring in a top flight wide receiver for Vince Young. And after the embarrassing number of drops by the Titans receivers on national television against Denver earlier this month, now others are jumping on the bandwagon.

22. Seattle Seahawks - Sam Baker, OT, USC
    In this particular layout, the victim of the free-fall is Sam Baker. Would he really fall to #22? It seems unlikely on the surface, but when you look at the rosters of the teams in that 12-19 or so range, it seems possible that a guy like Baker could slide. Even in cases where a team might be tempted to take him, there are overwhelming needs that make me believe that Baker could be passed on.

23. Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland) - DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal *
    Jackson has game-changing ability from a special teams standpoint, a skill that should make him that much more appealing to Jerry Jones and company.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
    Otah is a relatively green player as far as his football experience goes, but he has impressive size (6'6" 340) and has perhaps made the greatest strides in improving of any offensive lineman in college ball.

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn Groves is a true game-changer, with the ability to come from multiple spots on the blitz or cover the middle from the OLB spot.

26. New York Giants - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas *
    While the Giants had success in general against the pass this year, a great deal of credit for that belongs to the pass rush of the front four of the defense. That's not to discredit the work of the secondary, but adding a dynamic, tall (6'2"), and speedy playmaker in the form of Talib would make the Giants secondary even more menacing.

27. San Diego Chargers - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
    This is an interesting spot for the Chargers, as they need to gain maximum value from this pick since they have traded away (or lost via the 2007 Supplemental Draft) their picks in rounds two, three, and four. San Diego trading down wouldn't surprise me at all, but with need at LB, Highsmith may be too tempting to pass up. With the various stances and personnel changes that the Chargers like to use.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars - Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma *
    Despite being overall strong on defense and having two playmakers in the secondary (Rashean Mathis and Reggie Nelson), the Jags are 18th against the pass in the NFL this year, giving up more than 200 yards per game. That's not *terrible*, but if the Jaguars want to get over the hump and make it past the Colts, adding another young, talented player to the secondary could be just what the doctor ordered.

29. Green Bay Packers - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
    Mendenhall steadily climbed the RB ranks as the season went on for Illinois. It may be too close to call between Mendenhall and Arkansas RB Felix Jones, but a talent like Mendenhall would have the ability to start for the Packers on day one and add a much needed dimension to the Packers offense.

30. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis) - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma *
    Kelly, at 6'4", has the height to allow himself to gain separation from corners. And while it's true that the 49ers have a trio of 6'0" or taller receivers (Arnez Battle, Ashley Lelie, and Darrell Jackson) as well as the tall receiving threat of TE Vernon Davis, and there might be the temptation to go with a burner here, Kelly has the goods as far as having the ability to get open.

31. Dallas Cowboys - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State *
    **NOTE** While Indianapolis actually has a higher opponent win percentage than Dallas, two AFC teams cannot fill the final two spots since #31 goes to the Super Bowl runner-up and the #32 position goes to the Super Bowl champ. Just so you know that I know...

32. New England Patriots - FORFEITED

2. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    I like Highsmith but cant see us drafting another OLB for depth with no 2nd,3rd, or 4th round picks! OT, ILB, S are our needs with the early pick!

3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma is a player to keep a eye on as the Bolts most likely will take B.A. at a position of need and it is starting to look like this draft will be loaded at OL and RB early along with LB.

Funny how all the early mocks have the fish taking Dorsey who will be very good but with Ronnie Brown splitting time before blowing out a knee why in the world would the Fish pass on McFadden?

Ask yourself this question if you were selecting and had a choice between LT and Jamal Williams who would you take?

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346

I agree, however the Dolphins have huge holes to fill all over the field and I think they are going to try and trade out of the first position to stock pile picks!! Dorsey would be a nice fit but really don't believe he is a cant miss prospect to garner a #1! They obviously would need a RB, but really need help on the OLine and Secondary!

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Dolphins have 2 2nd round Draft picks in next years Draft because of the trade with us for Chambers.

Just my opinion here:

I think that the Fins will be able to get a good QB with one of the second rounders that they have and also O-line help with the other 2nd rounder that is so desperately needed by them.

The Fins will be kind of OK in next years Draft. Again my opinion.

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    Agreed the problem is that the Fins have either a hole to fill or depth to fill at most every skill position! I mean Zach Thomas is turning 35, Jason Taylor would be 34 this next year! Jason Allen in the secondary has flopped so far....Ted Ginn Jr hasnt show any promise other than on Special Teams. I cant see them taking Dorsey #1 since they just took Rodrique Wright from Texas in 06'! I really think they trade down here pick up a guy like Chris Long to take over Jason Taylor when he retires, and they will have Chris Long and Quentin Moses opposite each other!

:tup::tup: Nice post though regarding the extra draft picks, they also got mcrukowski and Lekkerkerker too!

7. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The Fish most likely would love to trade down however it takes two to make a move. Perhaps the Cowboys with two 1st round picks in this years draft might be interested but again they would be after Mcfadden not Dorsey other wise it would be the Pats who most likely are looking to move down not up.

Denver likes to wheel and deal and their is some talk that Champ Bailey could go on the block however with the holes they have you have to think that they would be looking to aqiure several selections for their CB.

8. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346

I agree on that....Not sure if you realize this or not but this is not my mock. I am the new moderator of the draft forum and am going to start posting mocks from other sites that I have access to so that everyone can get some opinions on where the chargers are looking according to the websites!

9. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Not sure they explained to you before they offered up the job but you have to deal with me and my questions and observations on the draft. I also have access to the same draft boards and opinions plus I have my own. :yes:

Welcome to the draft world. :flag:

10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    :tup: And that is great, fantastic, it just seemed as if you were commenting on this one like I put it out! I was just informing you that I didnt create this mock it was done by draftking! Thanks for posting your thoughts hope you can help me make this forum a little more active than it is!

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Sounds like what they thought last year, they thought they could get a better QB in round 2 when Brady Quinn was staring at them directly in the face. Ginn's improved dramatically as of late but he's DEFINITELY not worth the ninth pick. Now I can't fault the Dolphins in this draft for grabbing Dorsey but still the top 3 QBs (Ryan, Woodson, Brohm) will go quick after the first two picks.

As for this draft, I'd grab Smith from Oklahoma. Move him to FS, Eric Weddle to SS and you've got two safeties who can double in a way for corners.

12. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    In the first I want an RT (same as always)

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    we got clary don't we?