1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

18 game season or expanded playoffs?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Jan 16, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    With all the talk of Roger GOodel going against the will of most players, extending the season, and all of the controversy around it, I thought of an idea that could possibly compromise and make for a more interesting season. What if the NFL kept its 16 game season, but expanded the playoffs from 6 teams to 8 teams per conference. Then they could eliminate the 1st round bye that conference champions get in a sense. However, the season would be expanded 1 week to allow a bye for ALL playoff teams so they can get healthy for post season. Then the 4 division winners are seeded 1-4 and host home games. The Other 4 teams would be the top records that were not division winners. THis way we get more football, and there is no controversy when losing teams like the seahawks make it to the playoffs but the giants don't for example. If 8 teams were in playoffs then Most teams in contention at least get a chance so that fans don't miss out on explosive teams that could win it all but missed the postseason by a game or so. FOr example this year the chargers could be the 7th seed and jags the 8th seed say. WHat do you guys think. Does an 8 team playoff seem like a good and more competitive change to the current 8 playoff system? 1 last thing I forgot to mention.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think the NFL would be more of a joke than it is now.

Are they really considering 16 teams in the playoffs? HALF the teams in the NFL? Why even have playoffs

3. aznchargerfan

aznchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    The 16 team playoff structure definitely works in the NBA, why not the NFL?

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    It works in the NBA where teams regularly get in with sub-.500 records?

edit: I assume you're being sarcastic?

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    not to mention the extra season called the playoffs that both the NBA & NHL have. No way in the NFL

6. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I like the format as it is. Letting 50% of the leagues teams makes the playoffs, just seems like it would diminish the achievement of making the playoffs if you ask me.
    If I could just give you a soccer comparison (I know you are all saying boring boring ) but at the FIFA World Cup Finals in 1986, 1990 and 1994, 24 teams competed in 6 groups of 4 teams. A total of 36 group games were played and after that only 8 teams were eliminated. Seemed like an awful lot of games just to get rid of 8.
    Keep the NFL playoffs as it is, it weeds out the best teams, with the exception of Seattle of course:p

Hope you all get my point

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I would be ok with them killing the wild card round, to be honest. Win your division or go home.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    I wouldn't. We'd be sending too many 11 win teams home for the playoffs with that.

No need to be too restrictive. It's fine as is.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I would be fine with getting rid of Division/Wildcard playoff births ans just going to the best records.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    If those are the only two options then I agree it's better to keep the division races in place. But I still prefer the current system to both.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Different folks for different strokes...

I wouldnt mind if they got rid of the divisions all together and made it just the NFC and AFC on a rotating schedule for competition. Some of the best rivalries are not divisional anyways.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    But those good rivalries that aren't division rivalries are great primarily because they still manage to face each other a lot due to being even in competition.

If they were just thrown together for the sake of throwing them together you might lose some of that luster once Peyton and/or Brady retires (using Indy-NE as an example).

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,863
    I also misinterpreted your post. I thought "ans" was a typo with a missing s and you meant "sans" instead of the s in place of the d in "and", which changes the meaning of your sentence.

Leave it to me to assume a typo is an obscurely used word instead of a very common conjunction. :lol:

14. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Always thought it was a complete joke in the NBA, multiplying stupidity doesn't make it smart.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Pah-lease.... There were rivalries before Paidaton and Brady. There will be rivalries long after. There will be new rivalries that develope, shine bright and fade. 49'ers and Cowboys in the early 90's now what is it? It is a natural ebb and flow of the game.

If they were thrown in together chances are higher that more rivalries would form, teams would play different teams more. It would also get rid of, for the most part, the comments about 'they just play in a bad division'.

You would also get the teams with the best records playing for the post season, not some team at 7-9 sneaking in because they played in a very weak division (no they should not apologize for it).

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Never underestimate the sneaky sneaky of fat fingers... :lol:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Dooood! You just totaly blew me out of the water with the depth and logic of this post. I totally see why it is stupid to you, and how you are applying the 'multiplying stupidity' statement to round up and support your brilliant thesis. Well played my good man... Well played indeed...

</sarcasm>

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    You think it is a good idea to have 1/2 the league make the playoffs? They need to keep it to a point where the regular season means something. If they let 2 more teams in each year, we would have 8-8 teams getting into the playoffs regularly.

I say NO!!!! We don't need the NFL to turn into the NBA

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Because it doesn't work in the NBA. The playoffs are a complete joke in the NBA until it gets down the final 8 teams

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    from a players standpoint. I'd shorten preseason to 2 games. And make the regular season 14 games with the same playoff sceniero.

If I were the owners I'd keep the preseason to 4 games and lengthen the regular season to 30 games. And greatly enlarge the playoffs. CAuse its all about "MONEY" to the owners. The more games the more the fans will shell out money.