1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

18 games in 2012??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Welcome to the NHL

nothing matters until the playoffs, and 3/4 of the teams get in

:tdown:

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Did I miss something? Was there something in that article that said anything about playoff format or how many teams get into the playoffs?

18 is still a very small number and every game would still be critically important.

Selfishly, I just want to stop paying for meaningless games as a season ticket holder.

I'm all for 18 games.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Yea what the hell lets make it a 6 month season, double the playoff brackets also means more Playoff games more $$. Its a win win jus like Robert Kraft said.

oyea Injured players gonna lose lose when their careers get cut short b/c they werent on the field to play so someone else took their job. Oyea and their only way back into the game is as a #2 or 3 option on a team when he IS a #1 player normally.

Also is ok I have been noticing the reg season means less and less to me, so I guess im gonna watch the reg season as if it was Pre and when the post season comes around then I can get serious about supporting the NFL.

Pray that this wont get tacked on into the new CBA deal.

5. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm all for it as well. Besides complaining isn't going to stop it from happening, teams will adjust, they always do.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm against it.

As a season ticket holder.......I'll eat the pre season games to enjoy the product we currently have. :yes:

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I absolutely hate it. HATE IT! Of course the casual football fan won't care...."drr, more football is always better drrr..."

I feel like it dilutes the product, it makes winning every week not as important, like the Padres losing a game in mid June.....so what. Not to mention the injuries and fatigue that rolls around come January, which is around the time you want your team playing their best. Rosters will need to be expanded, getting rid of pre-season games is a problem because you want your starters to get ready, but with expanded rosters you need to see the other guys get some time in too which means chemistry is ZILCH when the regular season starts. Its just a giant cluster****.

I feel like the NFL is perfect the way it is...pre-season is boring...so what, turn the ****king channel and get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Seems to me I heard this all before when they went to 16 games. Seems to have worked out alright that time.

I say give it a shot.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Damn this says it all. All I can add is 18 games =s even more 1st stringers goin down and a lesser product being on the field as a result. And yea I wasnt even a fan of NFL when they did 14 games to 16, but even after the fact, I felt like it was not as special not as unique. 18 games is ridiculous, they might as well make it 24 games and 2 bye weeks and were gonna need the NFL E back to get more bodies for all the 75 man REG season rosters.

20x32 hmm that is 640 more players that will be needed... Dont tell me that all of a sudden more guys drafted are gonna turn out to be Newcoming Antonio Gates'

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I am against this....

I would love two more weeks of football for my own greedy reasons but...... It dilutes the product and shortens the playing life of the players. You think that players have a short playing span now then just wait. Hell there were a few of our players that could not stay healthy to get to the playoffs. Now we add two more games to survive through. This is all about money.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm barely against it. I actually don't have too much of a problem with forcing teams to consider the fatigue and wear on the players. If anything, taking the workhorses out to preserve them gives some other player a chance to make an impact, for better or worse.

The end product may be considered "diluted" but I wouldn't say so. Maybe Adrian Peterson won't be the starter every week and sometimes we're left watching a no-name backup struggle to get a yard. I would actually consider it an injection of parity. The only glaring fault comes during the transition period, because once the teams figure out to handle the length of the regular season, it will seem like nothing ever changed.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Against it. :tdown:

16 games is enough.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    And in the mean time we are left with a crappy 2nd tier talent product on the field leauge wide and HOW is this making the NFL as a whole worth forkin over more $$ to? Jus BC they are a sports organization that has been around for a 'while?

I can see where ppl saying they are for it can come from, but you must all be thinking short term or 5 years from now. The here and now is a BIG prob trying to find the players to fill the required roster spots will be impossible to find what we kno to be certain lvls of NFL skill a player has. That is deffinatly going to get dilluted down when you consider even more players will be aka Ogemdi Nwagobus and not Antonio Gates.

Dread the years it will take to adjust to a 18 game schedule. If you arent you are deffinatly not in reality land.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Adding games will not dilute the product when you consider how the NFL is marketing their product globally. The games we are playing in foreign countries is to promote finding the next low browed Yao Ming's of football. Now the NFL has the whole planet to find those missing links. Playing on the line is mongo football. There are a lot of mongos with motors which have yet to be unearthed. **** like that sells.

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I just hate it for season records sake, cannot get passed that.

Another reason is, our current team hasn't seemed to handle the wear and tear of a 16 + schedule in recent years, as weve had many injuries late in the year. It's perfect where it's at.

I'm all for 18 regular season games so long as we don't play our starters the first two weeks of the season. lol

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    I find issue with "crappy 2nd tier talent" and instead consider that A) no one is being forced to take out 1st tier talent and b) teams that do react intelligently will be voluntarily taking the chance. That is an injection of parity. Sitting superstars evens out the playing field, and it's still all voluntary.

Yep. In 3-5 years, you'll hardly even notice.

Well, there's a lot of really big questions about the "here and now" and this is just one of them, which is why it's being considered now. Yeah, there will be a transition.

It won't be that bad, just a bit of an adjustment for us too.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Now we will have 3 eras to try and compare stats of who did it better.

The Jim Brown comparisons come to mind and now more games ?

Nope. :no: :tdown:

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    This too I forgot or gues no one realy noticed my crack at the *routine celebration* the undefeated MIA team takes every year a team breaks their undefeated streak. *18 games could very well guaruntee they have alreayd had their last chance to even toast the oldendays*
    The records to me already are hard to compare with 14 to 16 there is a devalue to everything football. By syaing 2nd teir talent I very well mean that. Not that a bunch of Floyds on every team would constitute an automatic drop off from say the far and few betwwen B Marshalls and Andre Johnsons that the value of each game to watch would actualy be less since you wouldnt have as many of those BIG plays per game. Thus the product has been diluted worse than the bastardization of good Cocaine to Crack.

Tell me where do the needed 600 additonal players (assuming 75 man reg season rosters) come from that also come with 1st-2nd tier talent and put on as good of a showing in the NFL? I could buy the counter well we will just merge the NFLE with NFL... but yea that got canned already and like that would have been anything BUT a product dillution.

Sorry but this story and how it came across to me as its a done deal has me fired up.

19. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not only am I for 18 games over 20 weeks I'm for expanding the league to 40 teams.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    (It won't be that bad, just a bit of an adjustment for us too.)

Wont be that bad? SO hypatheticaly Ryan Mathews turns into the next coming of Micheal Turner, BUT alass he was injured playing for a record and 18 consecutive games and his injury isnt serious then so he plays on into the post season. When suddenly on a wasted anyway play he does something risky and risky for his particular injury and WHAT HAPPENS??

Thats right out until at least week 8 of NEXT Season. SO guy #2 better step up whatever game he has that can match such a unuque talent before him. Not to say this is all SD jus ezier for my hypathetical heh.

In short RM goes out loses his spot to the next coming RM *good GM drafting does help in this apocalypse scenario* and what happens to RM 1? He goes to the Jets and becomes their #2 for a few more seasons and never really is that Bell cow or even ever gets a shot to start and play 20 snaps for 18 consecutive games and the kudos. Sad story he also falls out of favor with his new team and ends up on a where are they now show 20 years later in a box talkin bout the post route that never should have been....

Hypo over in short again it will suck the dillution isnt so much the future product its the prior gift that has been given by the founders of such a GLORIOUS game!!

This sucks. Goodell sucks.

21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I GOT IT how to answer this crazy thought!!

We will just take the top performing NCAA teams per bowl season and jus stick em in the NFL as a team coaching staff players and all right down to sophmores. Sophies would of course have to be the rooks and take on the ritual hazing. And then yea we can stuff a few of the Arena teams in as well. OOO if were goin 40 teams can I please get a city to rep my Amsterdam Admirals?? Mexico maybe?? OO how many teams can we fit on that Samoan Island?? THere might be a way to 75 man rosters after all...

22. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am not for expanding Games but I am for expanding Teams to the 40 because it will bring all Divisions to a 5 team per the division and conferences.

The expanding Games will make some records moot like Mia's with their undefeated season. A team then with an expanded season can go 19-0 and then loose the next game as a Playoff game to make it not be put into the record books due to them not going undefeated throughout the season. It also lessens the Miami's achievement for going undefeated.

23. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    And hypothetically LaDainian Tomlinson is my father. Let's not dabble in hypothetical situations.

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Yea you only say that b/c i said say... the JETS. Which actualy if your as much a SD Chargers fan over LT fan as I am you would see that was a poke at LT. Also spent alot of time comparing RM to who he more reminds me of MT.

40 teams is more ludacrias than 18 games also. your gonna need to find alot of NFL calibur talent to fill 8 more rosters even at 53 your talkin 400 more players. Do tell wehre this talent pool will spring from??

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Another poster on another site said it pretty well if they do want to play with the Pseason games:

*I think at the very least they should cut it down to 3 preseason games. One at home one on the road and the third at a neutral site.

That way the NFL can use the preseason to promote the sport. They could have 16 preseason games played in non NFL cities and around the world.

Put a Rams vs Raiders game in LA. Have games in Mexico, Hawaii, Canada Japan, the UK, Europe and in other countries around the world. *

This right here I could get more on board with as far as what to do to make Pseason worth something. Sell it to someone that doesnt kno the difference!!! Brilliant!!

26. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    No, I said that because I don't value hypothetical arguments.

Your last post about shortening and reforming the Preseason format welcome though. That truly would be a great idea but the owners, understandably, wouldn't like that "neutral site" stipulation.

The league does not need to expand all the way to 40 teams and that is a whole 'nother issue.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I mean Goodell wants 2 games a year International, so why not make them Pseason games? Also that STL vs OAK in LA game would be interesting to anyone!! I dont like either, but I would watch that game.

And yes to the 40 teams that is crazy talk in the least. Would be prob more conceivable if there was more teams out there at the NFL level and worth taking on.

The hypothetical was more bout trying to give a visual example of how it would suck to have 18 games to get through and only say 2 good running backs. Granted it will be a few years untill the rest of the leauge has got caugt up to the RB by comittee standard that is already in place.

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    To say it best, IMO and others the NFL at 16 games is already the perfect format. And we do not see ANY reason to change the setup now. Lets instead talk about expanding the Pseason so we can have time to find the talented players we are gonna need for the 16 game strech..

29. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    My guess would be that if the preseason is shortened to 2 games most teams will schedule inner-team scrimmages to finish their player evaluations. Of course, teams will figure out how to make money off of these exhibitions. Dallas charged fans to attend one of these several years ago and had 70,000 fans show up. Back in '98 (August 11th) the Chargers and 49ers held one free of charge at UOP, attendance was around 25,000 I think.

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    This also could be a good way for the teams to get the chance to actualy see players that other teams will be shedding and could get them on their teams. Similar to how the poaching of the PS works only its Preseason squad poching....

Dunno ppl have also suggested that the Training camps could be eliminated.... Crazy talk you ask me....