1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

1979-1981 = 2007-2009 Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Very similar situations between these two eras of San Diego Football.

1) Defensive Blows (don't be immature)
    Maybe the biggest Similarity was the loss of the Fred Dean. It is comparable to Shawne Merriman incident. Although Dean was traded and Shawne was loss by a season ending injury both are/were the heart of the San Diego D and both are/were the pressure. These losses led to downward spirals on the defensive side causing the O to put up numbers which leads to number 2.

2) Offensive Pressure
    With the defense allowing large amounts of points on the board the offense is forced to execute more than on a regular bases. Comparable games: 1981 Dolphins vs. Chargers -- 2008 Broncos vs. Chargers. You may say "hey there is no comparison we won in Miami and we loss in Denver". 1. We did not lose in Denver (Hochuli incident) 2. We allowed 38-39 point in both games. 3. Our passing off. was exceptional with the emergence of both receivers; Vincent Jackson--Wes Chandler, Chris Chambers -- Charlie Joiner.

3) Worst Day Turns Out to be Best Day
    Air Coryell = Air Norv? Forest Fire = Plane Crash Incident?
    Yes the Forest fire was a little bit into the season while the Plane Crash was at the beginning but it was when the 2007 San Diego offense starting clicking with the blowout win over the Texans. Norv toke this team to its first playoff win since 1994 and navigated the ship from a 1-3 to a 11-5. Don Coryell came in while the team was 1-3 in 1979 and took them to a the div. playoffs with a 12-4 record.

The book hasn't been written yet for the 2008-2009 San Diego Chargers but it looks very similar to the 1981 chapter. We can change that though. We have a Winslow in Gates, We have a Fouts in Rivers, We have a Joiner/Chandler in a Chamber/Jackson. We have a Hank Bauer/Chunk Muncie in a Ladainian Tomlinson/Darren Sproles.

We can do this. We can rewrite history.

We don't have to be the team with missing rings...

Let's Do This Guys.....

:bolt:San Diego Charger Til' I Die :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    get the defense to work and we'll waltz into winning the super bowl. EIther fire cottrell or give him a better brain. But for gods sake fix the defense.:yes:

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Yeah - I thought something similar while watching. Although, I think our defensive players are much much stronger than the 81 defense. There is some serious talent there, and I'm gong to trust in this team that they will work it out and get it together.

I look forward to watching the story of the Chargers as Super Bowl Champions.

4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I'm afraid that it wouldn't function properly inside of that man :no:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't see a whole of similarities between the two teams.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No Rings = The biggest waisted era in NFL history

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    They were all fat? :lol:

8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Our defense is better than those Fouts era teams. We have struggled on "D" this year, but we did lead the NFL in sacks in '06, INT's, and takeaways in '07, so they will get thier act together throughout the season, like they did last year.

P.S., If Fouts had some defense support back then, we would have won 3 SB's. :yes:

9. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    It was Deja Vu of the Fouts era for me the last two weeks watching the Defense struggle with missed coverages and a very soft zone coverages. :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

But my feeling is with the talent the team has now we have great chance to improve. :tup:

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    My great believe is we will get the trophy this time