1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

1st half of the season = total failure. But..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    we still have 8 games to go. The bye week will give the guys time to reflect of how piss poor they were. Good news is that we are still within striking distance of winning the division. Denver is as bad as us on D, and they are hurting physically.

We take all 5 of our remaining home games, and win 2 of 3 on the road, we can get the AFC west crown at 10-6. It's just like the Air Coryell days again folks. We cant rely on this D, and need to put up 30-40 point a game to win. But we do have the offenseive firepower to do it.

Go Chargers.

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I appreciate the positive thinking and it's true we have the firepower to do it, but defense wins championships.

If this is to be completed, a start would be firing fat ***.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The season is salvagable if Cottrell is either fired, demoted, or forced to change his scheme by Norv. His refusal to adjust killed us today.

4. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The Giants did ok last year with a 10-6 record.

It's hard to be optimistic right now.

I hate it when we lose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

That would mean that we would have to go 7-1 in the back half. This team has given no indication that he could do anything close to that. 8-8 is where this team will end up.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No it's not.

Me too.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

I have 9-7 right now, with losses at Pitt, and at KC.

8. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    We are going to have to win in shootout fashion. Thats it. But with 5 home games, it is possible to go 7-1.

9. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Good point! They did and it's not impossible, given our division is hardly noteworthy, we could come back. The bye came a at good juncture. Continue on as they have been, or come back, re-born and ready to do battle. The choice is theirs.

It's very hard to maintain optimism, but I won't quit on 'em. I'll watch every tortured minute I can.

YES, I hate it when we lose and I'm queased out right now.

10. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I am really fricking mad right now!

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    shoot outs require actual STOPS to get the win, we don't seem to be doing that

Rivers I love him but goddamn he makes bad decisions at the worst possible time

Igor/Castillo look like crap

Hart had his first tolerable game

Weddle and Gordon got screwed

12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    We're fortunate that our division sucks so bad. But IF we manage to make the playoffs, all road games.

This defense is f*cking terrible. I had to listen to a guy at the sports bar suck off Drew Brees all day, and while Brees is certainly a good QB, he had the benefit of playing against our defense. I bet Rivers wishes he could go against our D. TWICE New Orleans had so little respect for our defense that they gave up pretty much 3 sure points because the KNEW they would convert on 4th down. ARGH!

I am so sick to freaking death of watching other teams just stroll down the field against our D. Could we PLEASE f*cking challenge people? At least that way, if we screw the pooch, I'll at least feel better in knowing that we weren't just GIVING AWAY huge chunks of yardage.

Fat Ted should be fired immediately. We have two weeks until our next game, and I can't think that Rivera or whoever could do any worse. And MAYBE someone's *** getting canned might light a fire under some asses.

13. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Me too!!

I think we'll go 9-7 and MAYBE earn a wild card berth in the playoffs if a) Rivers, LT, Gates, and VJ stay healthy; b) the O-line can continue to protect Rivers; and c) we change defensive coordinators. I'm no bandwagon-jumper, but like many of you, I've come to believe Cottrell has GOT to go, and the sooner the better.

JMHO.

14. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Cottrell must go

15. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    Firing Ted right now would be so cool, but again after what Spanos said about our coaches and AJ calling the shots, I don't see it happening.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    only ray of sunshine - AJ was over there in England and saw what his defense he built has turned into

17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree. This team needs to be shaken up. It is hard to believe we keep using a defensive scheme that allows us to get our butt kicked! There is little to no risk to our season by getting rid of Ted now! In fact there may be nothing to lose.

18. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Why does it seem the refs are always against us. The three man rush just does nothing to the qb. Has Jamal lost it? Cottrell has lost it. No turnovers like last year. Merriman is missed but someone has to step up. Very sad the way it is turning out at this point.:icon_sad: Yes we still have time, but last year you could see the trends in this team of them turning it around. not this year.:icon_shrug:

Go Bolts!!!

19. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    I was hesistant to jump on that band wagon too, but I just had a discussion with my husband and it's evident, something has to change. Cottrell may well be that something. We can't expect to keep doing what we're doing, hoping for lightening to strike (bad pun) so we can start winning games.

That's the definition of insanity.

I agree too, the sooner the better.

20. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    You can't convince me that Ten, Pit, Ne, Buf, or Den are better then us, and you can't convince me that maybe we are not as good as we thought we are. More than anything it is about focus and concentration!!! Focus on beating your man, offense vs defense and vice versa. Concentrate on your job.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If Norv is back next season, I might consider saying "to Hell with season tickets."

$800 for this crap.

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +519
    What's with all this optimism? come on people we got some meltin', infightin' and bandwagon jumpin-offin' (what? :icon_huh:) to do :icon_tease:

Actually, I see this team going on a 6-2 run maybe (but missing the playoffs)

I hope Cotrell gets fired and Rivera is giving the interim DC job (his LB's aren't too hot either)

23. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    Cotrell is in the zone. Zone defense that is. He needs to go win man more often. It finally slowed the Saints a bit in the second half. His rush 4 deep zone crap is whats denying us any pass rush and the DB's no INT's. Let the guys get physical and man up, that how we won against the Jets and Pats.

24. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    at the rate they are going, maybe they are putting a crappy product on the field to sneak out of town:icon_evil::icon_cry:

25. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

It's just like Herm Edwards said.

It's the cover who defense.

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Some bright spots, Rivers continues to play well, yea he had a bad pick but the game should have never even been in that situation if the defense did anything at all.

LT finally looked good hopefully he continues to heal after the bye and we have him at 100% or as close to it as possible.

Gates looks like he's starting to turn the corner as well.

We got Chambers back and Tucker back, Tucker actually provided some pressure early on not sure what happened later.

There are bright spots, but I find it hard to believe we can turn it around with Teddy as DC, but he turned the defense around last season so I guess I have to hope he'd finally figure out how to come up with an aggressive game plan.

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we'll have to win out to make the playoffs

I'm no "quitter" but, I'm ready to blow this fraking thing up

Norv and Ted were not the answer

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    great,

9-7 and missing the playoffs

coulda kept Marty

:icon_shrug:

:icon_tease:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,666
    I'm no quitter either, my *** is glued to the charger wagon, but this is bordering on epic fail how bad this team is playing

30. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Hopefully Norv won't keep Rivers in....