1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2 back set, a good idea

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by exodus, Oct 10, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    ---

The San Diego Chargers' using two-back sets, with LaDainian Tomlinson and Michael Turner, in the second half of their 23-13 triumph over the Pittsburgh Steelers. The strategy went a long way toward allowing the Chargers to rush for 111 yards on 23 carries and take control of the game in the second half. When Turner was in the backfield, Tomlinson lined up at slot back or wide receiver. The idea is to force the defense to pick its poison. If a linebacker covers Tomlinson, he is going to easily win that matchup and take a catch in the flat for a nice gain. If a safety is assigned to Tomlinson, Turner will likely get the handoff with one fewer body near the line of scrimmage to defend the run. Look for the Chargers to make more extensive use of the formation against future opponents.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9716633
    ---

A lot of people are asking for it. Don't know if anyone else posted this yet or not, but there you have it. Should make for some more good matchups for the chargers.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    i'm still waiting for the triple option with Rivers Turner and Tomlinson

but we should go for a 3 back set; TNT altogether

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, it'd be cool to see a fantasy type play like that. TNT, Gates, Manu all bunched. Like a stampede.:yes:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Is Drew Brees back?

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    yeah, it'd sure be a shame to lose that dimension of our offense...

6. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I'd settle for a normal option. Have Rivers read the dive to Turner vs. the pitch out to LT.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I really like our two back set and would like to see morre of it, how can you stake the line with LT out wide. Heck maybe a reverse out of that set would be something to think about also. As long as we win thats all that count's too me, win ugly, win shiney hell just winn.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    itd be good to see a little less motion involved in that formation too. not that its a bad thing but when i see a reciever heading toward the backfield it distracts me