1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2004: Best Charger Draft Ever?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by O'reilly, Dec 9, 2006.

1. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Junior Seau, pretty good player, right? The Chargers dealt him to Miami back in 2003 for an ‘04 fifth-round draft choice… which they just happened to cash in for Michael Turner. Turner continues to be the best insurance policy in football. Make no mistake, if something ever happens to LT, the Burner is capable of stepping in and making some magic himself. His average yards-per-carry in his three-year career is within a whisker of 6.0.

With Turner, Shane Olivea and Shaun Phillips as second-day picks that April, can anyone recall a better overall draft in the last 20 years?

1- Eli Manning, flipped to the Giants for Philip Rivers, Nate Kaeding and (eventually) Shawne Merriman.

2- Igor Olshansky, the Russian Run Stopper.

3a- Nate Kaeding.

3b- Nasty Nick Hardwick,

4- Other Guy (Shaun Phillips, he of the 10 ½ sacks in eight games.)

5- Burner Turner, whose Northern Illinois Huskies will soon oppose LT’s TCU Horned Frogs at the Q in the Poinsettia Bowl.

6- Ryan I (Krause), tight end

7a- Ryon II (Bingham), the backup Brahman Bull anytime the SS Jamal Williams needs to come into port.

7b- Sugar Shane Olivea, out of THE Ohio State University.

Now THAT’S a draft. And in large measure, the absence of Seau and the flakiness of the Manning family are responsible for making it so. Turner, by the way, looks to return to action this weekend

The only other Charger draft that is close to as good as the '04 draft was the 1975 draft. 8 starters, 3 All Pro's:
    1 Johnson ,Gary DT Grambling (8)
    1 Williams ,Mike CB Louisiana State (22)
    2 Dean ,Fred LB Louisiana Tech (33)
    2 Kelcher ,Louie DT Southern Methodist (30)
    3 Fuller ,Mike DB Auburn (73)
    6 Shields ,Billy T Georgia Tech (136)
    7 Young ,Rickey RB Jackson State (164)
    8 Perretta, Ralph G Purdue (206)

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

But the sad part is, Johnson, Dean, and Kelcher were all sent to San Francisco to go get a Ring

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Hardta dispute these claims, so I won't even try. If one looks at botha those drafts en toto, your claims are valid :icon_toast:

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Here's a good link to the Chargers' draft history:

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=SDG&lg=nfl

'75 was a great draft. But when you consider that we had two first-round picks and two second-round picks that year it should have been a great draft. If it had been anything other than a great draft it would have been a tragedy.

I'd have to say the '04 draft is even better. AJ found some diamonds in the later rounds and they have paid some huge dividends.

The thing that's impressive about the '75 draft was how many of those top picks were absolutely nailed. What's impressive about the '04 draft was that AJ nailed pretty much every pick but 1, and even Krause looked like he could be something if he wasn't so injury-prone.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This is a great thread.

The '04 group has yet to stand the test of time. Can Igor become as good as Kelcher over time? Philips be as dominant as Dean was? etc.

You also can't try and slip Merriman in this comparison. That is not quite fair to do so in such a comparison.

The '75 draft still reigns as the best for a few more years I think.

6. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    It STILL amazes me that with all that defensive talent from that draft (all three DL went to the Pro Bowl in 1979 and CB Mike Williams was an alternate) we had the 25th ranked defense and were basically known as all offense/no defense thru most of the Coryell years...:yes:
    That DLine has to one of the best ever on a talent level...what the hell happened?:icon_huh:

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Now that was a good draft in 04:icon_party: :icon_party:

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

The '79 team was ranked #4 overall in defense and led the league in sacks. The '78 team was ranked 12th in total defense. And the '80 team was 9th in total defense.

It wasn't until '81 that things started to go downhill. Fouts had his best passing year that year and our defense ranked #27. That's when the "all-offense no defense" idea started to take hold.

It's kinda like with Marino. You constantly hear people say "Marino might've won if he ever had a defense!" Thing is, Marino did, in fact, have some good defenses.

9. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I think with Marino it was the lack of a running game...he nver really had one...which makes what he did (48 TD's 5,000 yards) even more amazing as every defense KNEW he was going to throw and they STILL couldn't stop him...truly amazing...
    What caused the "downhill slide of of the Defense in '81? Some say it was the offense scoring so quickly that the D was on the field alot...no rest...also, IIRC, teams needed to keep Fouts and Co. off the field so they would grind things out and opt for long drives wearing down the D...or maybe they just sucked that year...:lol:

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Houston was stealing the Offensive signals in the 79 game that we never should have lost.

That dickwad of an owner Klein traded:
    Dean to the 9ers in 1981 where he helped them win their first SB(1982).
    Klecher also ended up there in 1984 and help them win a SB in 1985.

The other trade that pissed me off was when when he traded JJ, my favorite player at the time, to the Packers.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    One more draft like the last three and were gonna be very good for a long time. Go get em A.j.. :yes:

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Losing JJ was a big turning point for that team. He could have been the best ever if he stayed with that team.

I also remember our defenses back then sharing a common theme from this season. Lots of dropped interceptions.

13. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    IIRC, Big Hands ended up in SF as well...:icon_eek:

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    hey hey! no need to dwell on past games, the time is now for a SB win from the bolts, and with having a good team, 2007 draft will only promise fresh players. imagine, having a DE that is to merriman as turner is to lt. idk, these guys get a win by 2009 and ill be a happy camper. actually, they dont even have to win it for me to be a proud fan, if they make it to the bowl, woooooo id be a happier camper

i propose a toast! :icon_toast:

to THE 2007 BOLTS!! MABUHAY CHARGERS!!!

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    2004 draft will probably go down as one of our best ever because not only did we get a bunch of starters and two-three pro bowlers but its just that we've gotten such great contribution from nearly every pick. With the exception of 5a (Dave Ball), 6 (Ryan Krause) and 7c (Carlos Joseph) we've had performance from everyone. In one draft we got a starting QB (pro-bowler) a solid to excellent 3-4 DE, a pro-bowl kicker, a top 10 center, one of the best pass rushers in hte game (will be a pro bowler), a backup running back for a fifth that will probably net us a first rounder in this upcoming draft, a backup NT/DE and a starting RT/RG. I've never seen production from so many picks and lets not also forget we got Jacque Cesaire and Malcolm Floyd as UDFAs who have made huge contributions to this team

Ironically enough I think one of our best drafts might be the 03 not because of what happened in day one but in day 2; Matt Wilhelm, Mike Scifres, Andrew Pinnock and Hannik Milligan. One pro-bowler, one future pro-bowler, one star in hte making at ILB and our future FB/RB

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I never got over the trade of John Jefferson. That trade just busted my balls.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    And that game I never got over as well. I was at that game in person at the Murph back in '79 iirc.

MF'er stealing our signals and Pastorini and Earl Campbell were out for the game. FUC !!!!!!

18. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I was there as well...Gifford Neilsen and Rob Carpenter...who the hell were those guys?:icon_huh:
    Oh...and Vernon F'in Perry!!! :trout: :deadhorse: :fan: :puke: :icon_finger:
    We had Home Field sewn up through the entire Playoffs...
    I STILL have my 1979 AFC Championship Game Ticket...never used...:icon_cry:

19. sddoug

sddoug BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, Jefferson was holding out, wanted his contract renegotiated? He was sensational.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    JJ wanted more money and took it to the media. That sent him packing to the frozen tundra of Lambeau field and the Packers

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    That was Gene Klien, and it was the begining of the end for the Air Coryell Days.

• Like Like x 1
  22. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I think Coryell getting Chandler and Muncie was a stroke of genius (all due respect to AJ :lol:) ...as much as JJ was the heart and Soul of the team, we never missed an offensive beat with Wes in there...
    But trading Fred Dean (who, pound for pound may have been the best pass rusher in the AFC at that time) was the beginning of the demise of the defense, which ultimately was the undoing of the team...

Here's to Gene Klein: May he NEVER rest in peace

:icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    There was some thrills left after JJ bailed. Hell, the playoff game in Miami hadn't even been played yet!!

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    And basically, to never be great again.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Damn, who was the other DE, Williams, wasn't it?? :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :unsure:

26. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    #68 Big LeRoy Jones (6'8" 285)

27. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156

• Like Like x 1
  28. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Where he faded into obscurity. Talk about cutting your own throat!

29. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Which goes to show that you can trade away some of the problem children on your offense and still be OK, unless they are your great OL.

But, start breaking up your defense, and you are truly fugged for some time.

30. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    The best draft was when O'Reilly was drafted for 'nam back in the 60's. Unfortunately he turned out to be a bust so they released him from service. His division replaced him with Mike Williams Sr., father of Detroit Lions football player Mike Williams Jr.