1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2005 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It turns out that 2005 wasn't a good draft year - Boston Herald

Not sure about Ware being the #1 pick ... but it's a Boston paper and they aren't going to give SD credit for anything.

First two rounds - 2005 NFL draft - AFC West

Donkeyville Donkeys

1 (25). Traded to Washington
    2 (56). Darrent Williams (R.I.P.)

Trade Notes:
    The Donks also used a 3rd round Compensatory pick on Slo Mo Clarett. ROFL

Choketown Faders

1 (7). Traded to Minny for Randy Moss
    1 (23). Fabian Washington (pick from Seattle)
    2 (38). Stanford Routt

Trade Notes:
    San Diego Chargers

1 (12). Shawne Merriman (Philip Rivers/Eli Manning trade, pick from Giants)
    1 (28). Luis Castillo
    2 (61). Vincent Jackson

BBQ City Squaws

1 (15). Derrick Johnson
    2 (46). Traded to Miami

The Donkeys and Raiders got nothing. KC has one decent LB.

San Diego cashes in on the draft ..... again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    I believe in Alex Smith.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't know if I believe in him, but I still think it's too early to write him off.

He looked damn fine for most of the game we saw in SF. He's young, but has talent. I think too many people want to hurry to label a guy as a Pro Bowler or a bust. Most guys, even ones drafted high, are just going to be your average player.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    Alex Smith - 4 years, 4 coordinators

He gets a pass IMO for the lack of stability in SF. When Norv was coaching him, he seemed to be doing alright. Maybe Martz will be albe to get him going again in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    he was the youngest QB in nfl history to start a game. I think what will likely happen with him is that he will fail in SF then ressurect his career with whatever team picks him up.

but you are right it is hard to sum up a career before a guy has thrown at least 1200 or so passes.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It sure seems like that's the pattern with QB's.

Ours being the exception

:tup:

7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    man there was this 49ers game i watched in 2006 i think it was 49ers vs. cardinals? alex smith was simply unbelievable in that game. might have been one of the best quarterbacked games i have seen in my entire life. the 49ers lost but you had to see what smith did keeping in mind the entire offensive line was horrible and everything around him sucked. he escaped pressure with his legs, made all the right reads, looked downfield the whole time and made beautiful passes... it was a one man show. the entire 49ers offense looked like crap and alex smith was there carrying them on his shoulders making it look easy.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Demarcus would be the #2 pick. Everyone knows who #1 would be, even if the Boston fans can bring themselves to admit it.

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    It's still up in the air right now. Based on pure play on the field and off the field behavior and intangibles and such I would take Ware but the fact that Shawne is like 2 years younger nukes that, so it's up in the air for me.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ punked all these guys. I don't see myself trading anyone we picked for other guys picked in the same vicinity. Our first three picks are starters on a legit super bowl contender. Nobody else comes close to that kind of judgement.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    No one at all, AJ is GOoD

Edit: Boston can't even admit that San Diego had a good draft because you know "merriman's a roided up wimp"

12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'll drink to that! :icon_toast:

If there's an NFL team that's had more draft Hits-- and fewer draft Misses-- than the Chargers have over the last five years, I don't know who it is. :abq2:

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Alex Smith will make the pro bowl this year :yes:

Last time he had a good OC, he looked very good, now he has a pass happy one that actually will pick up where norv left off.

Plus now he actually has really weapons around him with Bryant Johnson, Issac Bruce, Arnez Battle, Jason Hill, Josh Morgan and your dream boy VD

Plus, they actually have a decent OL now with Staley, Rachel, bass and Heitmann

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Nice post but the problem is that he is in Mike Nolan's doghouse. Still I expect him to show something encouraging.

15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +401
    This is a make or break year for him. He has been awful overall to this point.

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +401
    Alright, ....i can give him a break here, but still....this is a important year for him. I think you guys are soft on him because he is a San Diego boy tho.

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    **** Mike Nolan!
    No GM in his right mind would side with a ****** head coach like that over a potential star QB who hasnt even reached his mid 20's

Nolan better come to his sense or he will be out of a job pretty soon

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +401
    I predict this will happen first

19. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Pretty sure thats why mike martz was really hired

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Smith should have at the very least a statistically mediocre season because of the way Gore will be utilized in that offense... lots of short passes and dump offs should help solidify his completion rate. His Y/A should be good as well because he will be given the green light to go downfield a lot and he has VD who knows how to make something out of nothing.

I disagree with Boltjolt that this is a make or break year for him. The guy is learning a new system... he needs to get familiar with a system. Very rarely do you see QB's succeed in their first year running a new system. It's just been a nightmarish scenario for him and complete mismanagement by the 49ers. Unfortunately I think SF will give up on him but like I said, I expect him to thrive if someone picks him up knowing what he is capable of and committing themselves to his development. His QB toolset is one of the best in the NFL and he is a competitor and very smart. He just needs to put it all together but to have expected him to put it all together given the scenario he was and still is in, is asking too much from my perspective.