1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2007 HOLIDAY RECIPES--POST THEM HERE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carrie1219, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Time to post those good Thanksgiving/Christmas recipes here... for those of us who'll be cooking this year.. So be thinking about all the various recipes you may want to list. Another thing that's been fun to read are the various "dinner menus" that have been listed. Chispa and Steph have done that in the past. I'm only doing desserts this year, not hosting... but am always interested in reading about what the forum "hosts" are serving.

If there are recipes from other forums that you want to post here... that's fine... Just be sure to credit the person who originally wrote the post.

I'm really interested in reading some adult beverage recipe posts... ;)

Hope the kiddos have a fun and safe Halloween on 10/31.

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Steph... I'll need you to send me Jasmine's fudge recipe if I can't find it.... :yes:

3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Steph...

I got your voicemail last night and called right back...BUT..got your voicemail. I'll try to call again tonight. :yes:

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Jasmine's fudge is really good and really easy to make. :tup:

5. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Thank you Ms. Chispa for posting the recipes. Damn good ones too!:yes::tup::yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    You Girlies and Guys need to check out the Bed, Bath and Beyond site. They have this reallly, really neat stainless steel stuffing cage thang!:yes:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bed, Bath, and Beyond my Budget :lol:

8. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings:
    +246
    The all new Ronco Giant Easter Egg Holder?:lol:

Or maybe the San Francisco Gerbel Toy?:icon_eek:

:icon_tease:

ps. That cranberry sauce recipe gives me an idea. If warmed to the right temperature it could make a delicious topping...:icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Chispa,
    I am going to try this tomorrow w/salmon for Conor's birthday dinner. He LOVES salmon! What is the ratio marinade to fish? I have 4 BIG eaters plus a few not big eaters. I think I need a chit load of salmon. Should I double the marinade recipe? Also, when you heat up the remaining marinade.....do you bring it to a boil or just simmer it? Sorry!:lol::lol:
    Oh, Oh, Oh....nother question for ya. What sides would you serve with the salmon?
    Lubya~~~Steph:yes:

10. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Thank you!:tup:

11. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    This sounds interesting.....
    Marinated Asparagus
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    heaping 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    heaping 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    heaping 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 clove fresh garlic, sliced
    2 bunches fresh green asparagus, steamed and cooled

Mix together oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard and sliced garlic. Pour over asparagus and refrigerate overnight.

12. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Three Glazes for Baked Ham

Golden Glaze~~~
    10 oz. jar orange marmalade
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 TBS prepared mustard
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    whole cloves
    1/2 cup raisins (YUCK!!)

Combine marmalade, juice, mustard, ground cloves and ginger in a saucepan; simmer for 5 minutes. In the last 30 minutes of baking ham, spoon half of the glaze over the ham and stud with whole cloves. Add raisins (PUKE) to remaining glaze and serve on the side.

Cranberry Glaze~~~
    8 ounce can whole cranberry sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/2 TBS cornstarch

In small saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, sugar and orange juice. Heat slowly over medium heat. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into cranberry mixture until thickened. You can baste ham about 30 minutes before done or serve glaze on the side.

Pineapple Marmalade Glaze~~~
    8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
    1/4 cup orange marmalade
    2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    dash of ground cloves

Combine ingrediants in a small bowl. Baste the ham the last 30 minutes of cooking.

13. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    I bought this cookbook at Brendan's Book Fair yesterday....Old-Fashioned Holiday Recipes. I haven't tried any of them so beware!!!:lol::lol::lol:
    Appetizer recipe

Brandy-Soaked Scallops
    1 lb. bacon, cut in half crosswise
    2 lb. small raw sea scallops
    1/2 cup brandy
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder

1. Wrap one bacon slice around each scallop; secure with wooden toothpick, if necessary. Place wrapped scallops on 13x9" baking pan.
    2. Combine brandy, oil, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and onion powder in small bowl; mix well. Pour mixture over scallops; cover and marinate in fridge at least 4 hours.
    3. Remove scallops from marinade; discard marinade. Arrange scallops on rack of broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat 7 to 10 minutes or until bacon is brown. Turn over; broil 5 minutes more or until scallops are opaque. Makes 8 servings.

14. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    From the same cookbook....

Avocado Salsa

1 medium avocado, peeled and diced (doesn't seem like enough)
    1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 Anahem chili, seeded and chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
    2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

1. Combine avocado, cucumber, onion, chili, tomato, cilantro, salt and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl; mix well.
    2. Refrigerate salsa, covered, at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips, toasted pita triangles or cut-up fresh veggies.

I would suggest fresh lime juice so the avocados don't turn into the color of baby chit.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Oh, man, you guys, Thanksgiving's three weeks off and I'm already droooooooling......

Here's my recipe for Buttery Good Thanksgiving Stuffing:

1 package unseasoned bread cubes
    1/2 c parsley flakes
    6 celery stalks, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    Poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste
    2-3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 can heated chicken broth or
    1 cup hot water
    2 sticks real butter (NOT margarine), melted

Put the bread cubes in a bowl and mix in parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the veggies and stir carefully (the stuff tends to FLY out of the bowl when you're blending the dry ingredients). Add eggs and stir again. Melt butter and pour over mixture; blend in. Finally, drizzle chicken stock/broth or hot water over the mixture slowly, stirring at frequent intervals. You'll know exactly how much fluid to add by the consistency of the stuffing: too little and the stuffing will be dry and crumbly, too much and it will be gummy when it's cooked. You want it to be moist, not dripping, and it should hold together well when you spoon it out of the bowl. Use stuffing in turkey, or put in a separate casserole dish with a lid and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!!

16. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Good salmon is very good:tup:

I'm not Chispa :lol:, but here's what I fix for a side dish when I do salmon:

1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow Pepper
    4 Portobello mushrooms
    1 small red onion
    6-8 russet potatoes (depends on size)
    1/4 cup fresh minced garlic (this is a must, but some might prefer less)
    Red Wine Vinegar (this is a must too)
    Extra Virgin Olive oil
    Zest of 1/2 fresh orange (optional, but it adds a little zest to the flavor :lol:)

Wash all the veggies (except the shroons) in cold water. Remove the seeds from the peppers while cleaning (no duh). Gently scrub the potatoes (don't remove the skin - that's where the minerals, etc. are).

Boil the russets for 5 minutes at a rapid boil to give them a head start cooking. Remove from heat, drain completely.

Cut all the veggies, including the taters, into sizable chunks - except the shroons. Slice the shroons (thick slices). Note - save the taters till last, that way they'll be cool enough to handle.

Use a large wok (or suitably oversized skillet - stainless steel - remember it has to hold all the goodies).

Here's where the DW cooking method doesn't translate well - I don't use no stinking measuring for some things :lol:

Pour enough olive oil into the wok (or skillet) until it completely covers the bottom about 1/8th" deep. Add half as much of the red wine vinegar. Heat on medium and once hot, add the fresh diced garlic and orange zest.

Once the garlic is slightly brown lower the heat to medium low.

Add all the veggies, stir well, and cover. Periodically (every 4 mins or so) remove the cover and stir, then re-cover. Cook until just tender and the oil/vinegar is all soaked up.

Add a heaping serving next to a nice slab of salmon cooked by preference. I do mine in another skillet - cooked in parallel with the above and timed to be done in unison.

Depending upon your tastes, add a slice of garlic bread (home made with real garlic - shredded cheese added on top and melted in for a little extra flavor). Enjoy :D

BTW - make sure everyone eats some... that way they won't notice your breath :lol:

ps. Salmon - the other pink meat :tounge:

17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I love asparagus ;) And Salmon...And Scallops sans the bacon...and just fyi...Banana Bread (yummy)

Go Bolts! :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Damn DW...

Love a man who can cook... Too bad you're taken... :icon_shrug::icon_rofl:

I'll be digging out my holiday recipes one of these days.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I eat Quesadillas up here at school like 15 times a week, this thread is not helping me. hahah

20. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
  21. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I would like that too since I have both Christmas and Thanksgiving off this year...I want to help my mom with the appetizers...she is an amazing cook and no way I am interfering with the main dishes...her homemade gravy and apple pie are delicious...

I can't believe it's the holiday season once again. I hope everyone has a good, healthy and peaceful one. Every year I also say it's my last year on the forums...and yet here I am.