1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2007 Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Since the pundits all do it, why not throw out my own crystal ball forecast of the coming season.

AFC West

Chargers - 15-1 ~ No stopping this talented roster from dominating the NFL enroute to a Lombardi Trophy

Denver - 8-8 ~ Not enough defense, and an inexperienced QB.

Kansas City - 5-11 ~ Two years ago they had the best OL in football, now they won't be able to block anyone. When Damion MacIntosh is a priority Free Agent signing, there is a problem in personnel evaluation.

Oakland - 4-12 ~ Overrated defense and no offense. Cutting (and not signing) draft picks doesn't help a talent poor roster. The biggest news of the year will be whether or not Kiffin gets a second season from Alibi Al.

AFC East

NY Jets - 9-7 ~ Underrated by the pundits. Second year of Mangini's tenure, and they are getting better.

Buffalo - 9-7 ~ Also underrated with a strong nucleus of young players.

New England - 8-8 ~ Vastly overrated by everyone with a microphone or pen. This is the year they fall off the map.

Miami - 3-13 ~ Cam has little talent, but will be given a few years to get this team past the disaster that was the Saban era.

AFC Central

Baltimore - 13-3 ~ The only legitimate challenger to San Diego for the AFC crown.

Cincinnati - 9-7 ~ Great offense with no defense. The collection of turds accumulated by Marvin Lewis continues to keep this team below its potential.

Cleveland - 6-10 ~ They aren't there yet, but on the right track. Even with improvement, Crennel still might not hold his job past this season.

Pittsburgh - 5-11 ~ Another vastly overrated team by the pundits. Why add a Cover-2 head coach to one of the best 3-4 defenses? The confusion over schemes will drag down a one proud defensive unit, and a limited brain power QB (who had the offense dummied down for him) will drop the Steelers into the cellar.

AFC South

Indianapolis - 10-6 ~ They lost a lot off an average defense, and now will send a rookie left tackle to protect Manning's blind side. Expect less offense and more max protection blocking schemes.

Tennessee - 9-7 ~ Vince Young will continue to make plays, and Jeff Fischer gets more out of limited talent than any other NFL coach.

Houston - 7-9 ~ Kubiak sees improvement, but the Texans still lack talent to really compete even in a weakened division.

Jacksonville - 6-10 ~ Jack Del Rio and James "Shack" Harris aren't seeing eye to eye over personnel decisions. One or both will depart after a failure of a season. They have a division winning defense with an expansion level offense.

NFC East

Dallas - 11-5 ~ Wade's one gap 3-4 upgrades the production on a defense that was misused in 2006.

Philadelphia - 10-6 ~ Age is creeping into the Eagles, but they still are one of the top teams in an average NFC.

NY Giants - 7-9 ~ Coughlin gets fired following another underachieving year.

Washington - 5-11 ~ No talent. No draft picks. Joe Gibbs is no George Allen. Gibbs heads back to NASCAR following the season.

NFC North

Chicago - 11-5 ~ Best team in the worst division in football. They traded the wrong running back.

Detroit - 8-8 ~ Finally, they show improvement, but not enough to get over the .500 hump.

Green Bay - 7-9 ~ Brett Favre continues to make the opponents DB's his favorite receivers.

Minnesota - 2-14 ~ The Vikings are on the clock ......

NFC South

Carolina - 11-5 ~ Everyone is handing this division to the Saints, but Carolina bounces back after a sub-par injury filled 2006.

New Orleans - 10-6 ~ They still won't beat any AFC teams, and will wow the ball watching stat readers with wonderful offensive numbers. Not enough defense to take seriously.

Tampa Bay - 7-9 ~ The magic finally wears off for Jeff Garcia, and they don't have anyone else better at QB. Gruden goes job hunting after this season.

Atlanta - 6-10 ~ They'll be better than most predict, even following the Ron Mexico turmoil. Joey Harrington isn't the answer, but he's looked decent in the preseason with WR dropping less passes. Maybe it never was bad WR's, but rather, a crappy QB who was a scatter shot?

NFC West

San Francisco - 10-6 ~ They are getting better, and will make noise into the postseason.

St. Louis - 9-7 ~ The 2nd best RB in pro football plays for the Rams, and Bulger is a very good QB when healthy for an entire season. Do they have enough on defense to grab a wild card spot?

Seattle - 8-8 ~ They took a step back to the pack last season, and fall another step further back this year. Holmgren considers moving on.

Arizona - 7-9 ~ Wisenhunt gets them going in the right direction, but they are at least a season away from competing.

Playoffs

Wild Card weekend

Cincinnati loses @ Indianapolis
    Tennessee loses @ NY Jets

New Orleans loses @ San Francisco
    Philadelphia loses @ Carolina

Divisional weekend

NY Jets loses @ San Diego
    Indianapolis loses @ Baltimore

San Francisco loses @ Dallas
    Carolina wins @ Chicago

Conference championship

Baltimore loses @ San Diego
    Carolina loses @ Dallas

Super Bowl

Chargers beat Dallas 31-14 :bolt:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    19-0

That's all I care about. F the rest of the league. We're better than them all.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'll take it! :yes: :yes: Norv gets revenge on his old team as HC.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    There is not ONE team in the NFC that deserves to go to the SB

I'm pimping the 49ers this year

we get revenge for 1994

!!!!

:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Nice forcast! I'm seeing cloudy skies with lots of thunder and lightening.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Most people thought Buffalo was going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL last year, but with their young kids, they played pretty well. I see some steady improvement for them, and a surprise to most pundits and prognosticators.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I agree that the Patriots are being overrated, but as much as I'd LOVE to see New England fall off to 8-8, I just have too much respect for Tom Brady as a QB, and I think their defense will always be at least competitive. To me, the success of the Patriots is 65% Tom Brady. Without him they would have been good team but not championship-caliber. Well, he's still there, and like it or not he's a great player, and he'll find a way to get the ball to whoever they give him on offense.

The major caveat to that would be if they can't protect him. If they have problems and/or injuries on the offensive line, all bets are off. But I don't see how the Pats don't go 10-6 at the very worst this year.

I also think you're underrating the Jags. I like their running game... a lot, and when you combine a very good defense with an offense that can realistically control the ball with the running-game, you have two major ingredients for a winner. They'll win ugly at times, but they'll win. I see 11-5 for Jacksonville in an overrated division.

Finally, I don't see how the Titans win 5 games this year. Crappy QB, no running-game, the loss of key receivers from an already mediocre offense, average defense... they look to be like another Oakland Raiders in the making. They'll win a couple more games by virtue of Young's mobility, but 9-7 is WAY optimistic for them.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    At least you are a consistent Vince Young hater. :yes:

:p

• Like Like x 1
  9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Every time i try and say somethin'...

You're a genious my friend.:abq1:

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd love to see the Jags do better, because I hate the Colts and I also have a lot of respect for James Harris. I just don't see it though. No QB and no WR's.

T-struck's analysis of "good running game and good D" didn't do much for the Chargers in Tomlinson's early years.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The Jags had the #2 ranked defense in the NFL last year, and they were ranked 4th in points-allowed. The only time our defense even approached being that good was in '98 which was cryin' Ryan's first year.

I can see the Jags having success using the Steelers/Ravens formula. Keep games close, don't commit a lot of turnovers, take advantage of the fact that you play the Texans and Titans twice each, as well as games against Atlanta, Tampa, and Oakland. Hell, that's 6 wins right there even if you throw an upset in there.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Jags were 1-3 vs the Texans and Titans in 2006.

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I have nothing against VY as a person, but I just don't like "running QB's." They almost never turn out to be real QB's in the NFL, but they sure do get a disproportionate amount of hype. Yeah, he's going to break a lot of defensive formations with his legs, but that's not the same as being a great QB. And one of the reasons I dislike the gazelles is that they almost never overcome their instinct to run.

VY is hyped because he went to Texas and because he had a legendary performance in the win vs. USC. Look at his numbers. He had a lower QB-rating than Drew Brees had the year he almost found himself looking for another line of work. He barely completed 50% of his passes. He threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

My point is, if you take away his mobility, is Vince Young a good QB? The answer has to be no at this point. And that's why I'm a "hater," because there are always going to be defenses out there that can survive the occasional big run by a QB.

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yeah, okay, well they also beat the Cowboys, Colts, Eagles, and Jets.

They finally made their choice at QB, they'll have Maurice Jones-Drew for a full season, and their young receivers have another year of experience. Not to mention that Gerard wasn't exactly a seasoned vet last year yet he still performed quite well.

I don't think their offense will be great, but I do think it'll be better than last year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    MJD is Mighty Mouse with fatter legs. We'll see how he holds up if given a bigger role over a full season.

The Jags have been classic underachievers under Del Rio. I don't see any difference this season.
    10 TD's, 9 INT's ... almost a 1-1 TD/INT ratio last year. 80.5 QBR is nothing to write home about. He was sacked 20 times in 11 games (10 starts).

They have a good defense, ... and not much else.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Shammy, the Jets are pretenders and will go 6-10, 7-9 at best. They played a creampuff schedule in '06, didn't beat anyone with a winning record. The classic case of a team thinking it is better then it really is, so they don't adequately address their needs.

They have no running game, and Pennington will break down. Dude is already 31 and injury-prone.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've been comparing Vince Young to Randall Cunningham since VY was a Sophomore at Texas. Cunningham was very similar at UNLV.

It took Cunningham a few years to develop in the NFL, but he eventually led the Vikings to the highest scoring output in NFL history as primarily a pocket passer.

Vince Young led the NCAA's in passing efficiency his last year at UT. You and others erroneously label him solely as a running QB. This kid will develop into a great passing QB who also has mobility.

If you take away Fran Tarkenton and Steve Young's mobility, would both have still made the Hall of Fame? Doubtful. It's part of their makeup. Steve Young passed all over the place at BYU, but was a crappy passing QB as a pro until sitting on the bench a few years in SF to learn under Walsh.

I think too many people look at the pathetic passing attack generated by Mike Vick and want to label any other QB that can move with the same label. Vince Young is going to be way better as a passer than Vick could dream of becoming.

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Steve Young is the perfect example of a "running QB" who literally took years to learn how to become a QB in the NFL sense of the word. And he was a FAR more polished passer coming out of college than VY. When he finally matured he was no longer a running QB. He was a quarterback who could run, and there's a difference. Tarkenton was more an escape-artist than a runner. John Elway was a quarterback who could run, though he generally chose not to.

I don't mind mobility in a QB. In fact, it's an extremely useful trait to have. What I don't like are QB's whose first inclination is to run, or who will run any time the first and second reads are covered, or who will always fall back to their running ways when the chips are down. That's not how a QB reaches his potential in this league. Randall Cunningham was the rare exception to that rule, though I would point out that when he really put up his best years as a QB he was no longer a runner.

Sorry, but VY is going to have to do much more from the pocket than he did last year before I'll recognize him as a true quarterback. You don't hear me anointing Matt Leinart to anything either, and he's got a MUCH more talented offense around him than VY. I'm not sold on Jay Cutler, but that doesn't mean I think the guy is never ever going to amount to anything.

I need to see it in action before I believe the hype. Too many guys have come down the pike with hype-galore and we later discovered they peaked in college.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Young continues to win, and will as he develops into a more mature passer. Gil Brandt says basically the same thing I've said on the kid, and Brandt's just about the best around for evaluating talent.

Vince Young is the real deal, and will continue to prove it.

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I'm also MUCH higher on Jones-Drew than you are which probably at least partially explains why we differ in opinion on Jacksonville. You're putting him in the mold of a slightly bigger Darren Sproles... to me he's a slightly smaller LT. He has all the tools...and 210 lbs is not at all small in a guy who's 5'7". The guy is going to be a star in this league, IMO. And you know me--I don't say that stuff about every other prospect who comes along.

Other than LT and possibly Frank Gore he's the best natural running back in football. Great vision, awesome balance, great quickness and good speed. Moves. He has everything except ideal size--but he's not that far away.

Injuries might hold him back, but you can say the same thing about any young player.

21. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We are the most talented team in the NFL. but we are nowhere near the most disciplined team in the NFL. I don't know who is, but it isn't us. Off field the field we made some headlines, and on the field we had the "head butt", some completely unnecessary dr9ive extending P.I. calls against our DB's, the VJ, illegal forward pass etc...To be champions, this **** has got to stop!!!!!

I predict that we will make some straight up Bone Headed mistakes in 2007 that will cost us a game or three in the regualar season. I hope we get them all out before the playoffs....

22. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    NY Hater...:lol:

How 'bout them O's...:icon_rofl:

23. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I agree with a lot of what you say here Shammy, but I do believe that running QB's (including VY) take a terrible beating that the typical pocket passers do not...that takes it's toll...we'll see how VY holds up in the long run...over the years, the NFL has taken it's toll on running QB's...

• Like Like x 1
  24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don’t know if that’s true, O.

A smart running QB avoids a lot of hits that a conventional pocket passer absorbs during the course of a game. You rarely see a QB get pummeled after he leaves the pocket, usually he takes a dive or runs out of bounds.

Vince Young is just getting started, he is going to be a great young quarterback under the tutelage of Norm Chow.