1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2007 Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    They just started a winning streak. Thanks for asking.

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were pretty good despite the fact that neither of them was the biggest guy.

I think sometimes people forget that if a guy is 210 lbs at 5'7" he's not a little guy--at all. He's more massive than Willie Parker, Reggie Bush, Julius Jones, and several other RB's who have never been questioned because of their size. If a kid's built low-to-the-ground and has great balance, he's hard to see (like you suggested) and hard to tackle, and shorter guys tend to be quicker when it comes to getting to full speed.

I don't downgrade MJD for his height at all. If he weighed 190, then maybe. But 208-210 is pretty friggin stout for a guy his height.

3. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    A stretch run...:lol:

4. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    He also took a serious beating in his younger days and became much more of a rollout passer than a runner as he matured...Whenever a QB takes off out of the pocket, he is in much more danger of a "kill shot" than when in the pocket...Vick has missed more games due to injury than most pocket QB's...We'll see how VJ fairs over the long haul...
    My guess is that he starts to run a lot less as he matures...

5. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Hey, Mike Mussina robbed you guys, you paid him like an Ace and he's a #3 starter.

And he is still waiting for a World Series ring. :)

6. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I still think that lack of height limits your effectiveness in picking up blitzes, and in running between the tackles. Throw in the fact that Dave Gerrard is the QB, and I don't see Jacksonville as a playoff contender.

Maurice Jones Drew can be neutralized if the passing attack doesn't pose a threat.

7. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I think he came out of the bullpen yesterday...:lol:
    Poor old Moose...

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Maurice was rather productive last year. He might be shorter than the average bear, but he has a solid body, heavily muscled and he has great balance and is plenty fast for position. Comments about lack of height have been around since the days of Charlie Tolar.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    MJD is no where near the class of LT, Gore or Stephen Jackson (I think the Rams RB is the 2nd best RB in the NFL). Adrian Peterson will join those three at the top of the heap.

Jones-Drew will never be in their class.

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think Vince Young will follow the historical path created by guys like Cunningham and S. Young. He'll mature as a passer and run less.

This isn't Bobby Douglas or Mike Vick.

I've always said that he needs work, but the tools are all there. I still say his best pass in the Rose Bowl victory over USC was an incomplete pass (the 2nd or 3rd down play before he ran it in for the go ahead TD). He put the ball to his WR in the back of the end zone only where the WR could get it. It was just an inch or two high, but showed great accuracy, touch, and decision making.

VY led his team by passing in a Rose Bowl win over Michigan. He led his team by passing in the Championship year victory over Ohio State at OSU.

As I've said before, I got to see Cunningham in person his senior year in college when UNLV visited my Bulldogs. VY and RC seemed nearly identical in their makeup, with VY actually being the better athlete.

Let him develop. I'm glad he's not in the AFC West.

11. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    This aint Michigan or Ohio State...:lol:
    But seriously, I agree he is an exceptional athlete, but I am not quite sold on his intelligence or his confidence in his own football IQ...I think when things get tough, he takes off and lets his athleticism take over...not always a good thing...
    We'll see how he matures as a player in the NFL...

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    You are correct. LT really should be judged against the greats - Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown, OJ, etc.

The next plateau is the declining Shaun Alexander, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Larry Johnson, etc.

Jones-Drew is not in that list, nor will he be.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What's up with the baseball talk fellas? Padres would beat both of those teams! :yes:

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He was a stud on the field ..... and I hate USC.