1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2008 NFL Draft : The Chargers select...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MasterOfPuppets, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    FUC MTL. :icon_eek:

I said "you" and not him. I have no qualms with his picks.

MTL at least has the balls to tell you when you are full of ****, lil buddy act notwithstanding.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We should check out Chris Ellis of Virginia Tech in the later rounds. DE, 6-5, 270, very quick off the ball, good run stuffer.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    NT and S IMO...

But, we will probably go Corner Back...We could also use an offensive tackle early day one as well...

So in summary, TBF would like a OT, NT and a S in any order on day one. Any questions?

TBizzle

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    if we want chris ellis we have to take him with our 1st rounder or trade down but I don't think AJ would take a DE/OLB in round 1. it's tough to give a precise projection of where he will go but he will not go any later than mid-late 2nd round. I can even see a team like Jacksonville taking him with their 1st rounder with the way their defensive ends have played and Spicer being a UFA. He is a sure thing as an NFL player IMO there is no way he doesn't have a career in the NFL. Very safe pick. I like him as a DE in a 4-3 or cover 2 more than as a rush linebacker. Hanestly could go as high as mid 1st round, no joke but is more likely to be a late 1st early 2nd guy. Has some character issues but nothing serious.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Again, pimping Virginia Tech :tup:

He's a junior & probably not leaving early but .... Brandon Flowers is a kid to watch at CB. Maybe next year, if we still need one. It's not to early to talk 2009, is it?? :lol:

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Castillo will never be the nose. He's better as a 290 lb. end. If anyone moves to nose, it would be Igor.

7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    i thought you wanted us to draft your nephew anthony morelli :icon_shrug:

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Why should he?

There could be multiple players or no players who fit those needs. The dude just identified a need and you need names ?

Who the hell are you?

Does it make it better he nail THE player we select as some sort of crowning achievement? FILL THE NEED.

The crystal ball gazing for bragging right landed you the likes of Big Mike Williams (did he get cut again?) and PacMan Jones.

I have to eat my chili and drink my beer.

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I've never seen a nose tackle with Igor's build in NFL history. Neither of those guys will be nose tackles :yes:

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Blind squirel and a nut.

It was bound to happen at least once man....

:lol:

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    yup i was all over pat williams. it hurts me seeing him dominate every snap in minnesota. minnesota is a team on the rise. if they get their hands on matt ryan somehow they will be GAWDS!! matt ryan is a tom brady clone, HANEST!!

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Maybe you should post the rule BEFORE you expect people to follow them...

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Oh yeah (insert smilie sitting back, smiling, & eating popcorn) - this could get to be a really good early draft thread. I love the draft ... don't claim to know a lot about college ball, but it's a great time of anticipation - who may be the next great Charger?? :icon_shrug: :icon_banana:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    See my thread about what to do about the safety issue :yes:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Won't argue this one.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here are some other early mock drafts for your reading enjoyment.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

22. San Diego Chargers: Frank Okam, NT, Texas
    When you allow 296 rushing yards to a running back, there's something fundamentally wrong with your defense. Luis Castillo has been out, while Jamal Williams turns 32 next April. Plus, the Chargers have no depth up front. With Rey Maualuga coming back to USC in 2008, I think San Diego goes with Frank Okam or a receiver like James Hardy.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

22. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - FRANK OKAM - DT | Texas
    For the most part the Charges are a team with relatively few holes so it's tough to predict what they might be looking for in round one. With that said they are woefully thin at nose tackle behind the great Jamal Williams and if anything should happen to him they'd be in real trouble so adding some depth there would seem to be a logical move. The latest in a long line of impact Longhorn defensive tackles, at 6-5 and 320 lbs. Frank Okam has the size and talent to follow in the footsteps of Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers but scouts feel he still needs to exhibit a little more consistently.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2008/mockdraft.shtml

23. San Diego Chargers - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
    This is an interesting spot for the Chargers, as they need to gain maximum value from this pick since they have traded away (or lost via the 2007 Supplemental Draft) their picks in rounds two, three, and four. San Diego trading down wouldn't surprise me at all, but with need at LB, Highsmith may be too tempting to pass up. Seeing him read the run and meet Darren McFadden head-on in the Arkansas/LSU triple overtime thriller like few others have impressed me greatly. Depth at LB is vital in a 3-4 defense, and Highsmith would provide that in a major way.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2008_nfl_mock_draft.htm

21. OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
    The Chargers offensive line hasn't looked good this year and second year left tackle Marcus McNeil has struggled.

http://nfl-draft-site.blogspot.com/2007/02/2008-mock-nfl-draft.html

23. San Diego: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    The Chargers need a go-to receiver that is not their tight end, badly.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

22. San Diego Chargers:
    Malcolm Kelly
    Ht/Wt: 6-4/220 lbs
    Position:WR
    Drafted From:Oklahoma
    Class:Junior

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/7630?new=true

26. Chargers: Dan Conner, LB, Penn State
    Conner is probably a better pro prospect than the Bills' second-round pick Paul Posluszny.

http://newnfldraft.com/

24. San Diego Chargers

Sedrick Ellis-DT-USC
    The Chargers have two offensive threats in Gonzo and Tomlinson but they have none at receiver. They chose the LSU grad Craig Davis last year and traded for Chambers. So they will have to address WR in the later rounds because Sedrick Ellis is too good to pass up in this situation. Their offense is going to score points they just have to keep containing the opponent. NOTE: THIS ONE IS SO BAD THE WRITER THINKS WE HAVE GONZALES INSTEAD OF GATES.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I think with Clary and hopefully Mrzucowski we have enough starting fat bodies on our OL to be dominating. I really like how Mrzucowski has been improving over the last few years.

As for Defense I like Okam I like him alot and think he'd be an outstanding NT BUT defensive tackles from texas have a real hit/miss reputation. And ironically I do feel somewhat comfortable with Mckinney as our backup nT.

18. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    no way we draft highsmith, no way ellis is available at 24 (i think he will go BEFORE dorsey), dan connor 97% won't be available at 26, gosder cherilus is going to be ok but nothing special and i really don't think he goes 1st round, limas sweed is not going in the 1st and we sure as hell are not drafting a receiver in the 1st if at all, so malcolm kelly is out of the question.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

I would be ecstatic if Ellis fell to 24, but he won't, and I don't know why that guy thinks that he will. We will not draft a receiver in this draft. We traded for Chambers.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing o-line or d-line since there aren't going to be any good safteys or saftey look a likes in this draft.

As far as linebacker goes. Alot depends on waters recovery.

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    ellis is going to blow dorsey away at the combine and with how he has performed there are going to be some serious questions about who is the better player internally within organizations. ellis is a top 10 pick hands down and could crack the top 5.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    No WRs, with Chambers and Parker, we'll be set for a while

23. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Who are these idiot writers? We're not going to draft another WR in round one next season.

In 2008, we have Chris Chambers, Vince Jackson, Eric Parker, Buster Davis and Legs Naanee under contract. Regardless of what the stat reading media thinks, that's a capable unit at WR.

The #1 will be best available player, from one of a few positions - safety, DL, OL. We'll get some clues when AJ gives his "State of the Chargers" speech on the day Free Agency begins. He always announces a couple veteran cuts or non signings then, and that will probably give us some idea on what he intends to do during the draft and FA.

Also, I won't be surprised to see AJ tag and trade Michael Turner to get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. We could use that extra pick, since the Bolts are missing a 2nd (Chambers trade) a 3rd (part of the Weddle trade up package) and a 4th (used in Supplemental Draft for CB Oliver).